Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 02:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber - Open Source program for rendering high quality Mandelbulbs  (Read 33065 times)
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2010, 02:48:10 AM »

Great program Buddhi, I've made part of this pic (its a big image) http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/101/4/e/Mandelbox_DOF_by_KrzysztofMarczak.jpg my desktop background. My girlfriend thought it was an underwater photo at first.
Anyway, I can't find an option for depth-of-field blur in 3.0, and could you perhaps provide an example parameter file for a similar image to the one above, as I'm not sure what sort of values to put in some of the fields. I tried opening the sample parameter files, but it crashed the program. Thanks  hungry
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:50:27 AM by Tglad » Logged
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2010, 09:06:28 AM »

Anyway, I can't find an option for depth-of-field blur in 3.0, and could you perhaps provide an example parameter file for a similar image to the one above, as I'm not sure what sort of values to put in some of the fields. I tried opening the sample parameter files, but it crashed the program. Thanks  hungry

Depth of field effect was added to Mandelbulber v. 0.41. Problem with loading settings files with Mandelbox parametes was fixed in version 0.40. Windows version is delayed because Makemeunse is on vacation. Please be patient (or install Linux smiley - Ubuntu Linux is very easy to use)

If you want to try with Mandelbox fractals in Mandelbulber 0.3 please use following settings:
power = 2.0 (when Mandelbox formula is being used, scale = power)
folding limit = 1.0
folding value = 2.0
Close-up (scale) = 15 (Mandelbox is much bigger than Mandelbulb)

To zoom some interesting region you just only have to indicate it on image and press left mouse button.

stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2010, 10:58:45 PM »

Could you give us any wort of time line as to when the windows version of .4x will be ready? You have done some really great work, my friend wink

And is there any way that Makemeunse might be able to also port the 64-bit version to Windows? I have a quad-core Phenom II machine at home with Vista64, 8 gigs RAM. I specifically built the system for the purpose of deep fractal rendering and ray tracing apps. I find Linux difficult to work with because I don't understand how to utilize the command prompt terminal window thingy (I know that's not what it's called, so please don't flame me about it). In order to do stuff, I have to type commands into the box. For example, if I plug in a hard drive, I have to "mount" it first in order to access it. With Windows and MAC, I just plug something in and the computer instantly recognizes it, and simply shows up in My Computer or the Mac desktop.  Especially with the Macs, you just plug it in and it works. Or I just download a program, and either runs an install wizard that does everything for me, or I dump/extract it in a directory and run it. And then there's the problem with no drivers for 80% of the available hardware on the market. Don't get me wrong, I am very comfortable tinkering with computers; I've just never learned a damned single thing about coding or typing commands (the only programming language I know how to use is TI-BASIC), which seems pretty much a requirement to do anything more with Linux than simply booting it up. It doesn't help matters much that there's like 50,000-something versions of Linux available either.

So any help porting the Mandelbulber software to windows is greatly appreciated grin
My thanks to Makemeunse for his and your efforts as well grin
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2010, 01:04:51 AM »

That makes sense Buddhi, I'm tempted to install linux just to try out the latest version! but probably better to practice being patient instead. Good luck with the porting job Makemeunse, I don't know much about PC rendering techniques so wouldn't be much help.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 02:44:48 AM by Tglad » Logged
itisnt
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2010, 11:12:16 PM »

Buy a little external USB-Disk (10-20GB for less than 50$) and install Ubuntu 9.10 on this disk. DO NOT install the Bootloader on your internal Disk, instead install it on the external one. Change your BIOS-Bootorder in the way that it boots from the external disk if this is available and otherwise it boots from the normal Windows Disk (bäh....)
This is always my first step to bring poeple to Linux  grin
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 10:21:12 PM »

I have successfully compiled it for windows with a little modification in the code. I had to add the exp10() function, I gess it's equivalent to pow(10,x). Am i right? (I gess the answer is yes because I haven't noticed odd things while testing.)
What should I do to make it available to people who are waiting for it?  grin
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »

I'm really surprised. Thank you. Please send it to me. I will prepare package and put in on SourceForge.

I have successfully compiled it for windows with a little modification in the code. I had to add the exp10() function, I gess it's equivalent to pow(10,x). Am i right? (I gess the answer is yes because I haven't noticed odd things while testing.)
What should I do to make it available to people who are waiting for it?  grin

Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 10:49:02 AM »

Thanks to @knighty we have Mandelbulber 0.42 for Windows. I have just upload it to SourceForge.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mandelbulber/

Full list of changes since version 0.30 you can find in attached txt file.

* CHANGE_LOG.txt (2.67 KB - downloaded 273 times.)

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2010, 02:05:18 PM »

Thanks to @knighty we have Mandelbulber 0.42 for Windows.

Excellent, works like a charm.

Have you noticed this propsed acceleration for ray marching? Do you think it is applicable to Mandelbulber? In this proposed technique it allows you to advance multiple adjacent rays by doing a single Distance Estimate.  A speed-up of factor 10 or so might be possible.

http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-implementation/major-raymarching-optimization/
knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2010, 06:20:34 PM »

grin

That's what motivated me!

Have you noticed this propsed acceleration for ray marching? Do you think it is applicable to Mandelbulber? In this proposed technique it allows you to advance multiple adjacent rays by doing a single Distance Estimate.  A speed-up of factor 10 or so might be possible.

http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-implementation/major-raymarching-optimization/
See also : http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-implementation/potential-optimizations-for-de-based-stepping/
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2010, 06:31:29 PM »

is ther an example file for setting up an mandelbox rendering ?!
i choosed tglads formula, and by default it renders just a tiny sphere ...
when i enter -1.5 as power value, i get an empty screen sad

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »

is ther an example file for setting up an mandelbox rendering ?!
i choosed tglads formula, and by default it renders just a tiny sphere ...
when i enter -1.5 as power value, i get an empty screen sad

I wrote in post http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-software/mandelbulber-open-source-program-for-rendering-high-quality-mandelbulbs/msg15821/#msg15821 what you have to set up to render Mandelbox fractal

You can also find in default settings folder 4 files with example configurations ("Tglad - ****.fract").

I attached also 2 example settings files

* mandelbox scale 2.5 example.txt (1.99 KB - downloaded 285 times.)
* mandelbox scale 2 example.txt (1.99 KB - downloaded 288 times.)

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2010, 08:38:13 PM »

this is what the program renders, when just loading the settings file:
"tglad scale -2 .fract"

sad

* mandelbubler_tglad.jpg (8.52 KB, 794x709 - viewed 848 times.)

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »

ok, the config files you posted work, awesome program cheesy
would love to see hybrid formulas also cheesy

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2010, 10:24:28 PM »

negative values from 0..-2 produce black result ;(

---

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: