Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 19, 2024, 11:45:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: The next iteration of Fractalforums is coming!  (Read 6516 times)
FF2-Team
Forums Newbie

« on: July 19, 2017, 09:28:07 AM »

Hello fellow fractalists!

You might have heard rumours that we are working on the next iteration of fractalforums.
This site is currently running a rather outdated forum software (SMF 1.1.21 - latest is 2.0.14) and problems are increasing.
But updating a 10 year old forum with 100.000 posts and countless plugins and modifications is near impossible without major complications.
So after long discussion and thinking we decided to do a fresh start.
This is how it will happen:

-Iteration 2 of FF will be on a new server and a (very similar) new domain.
We're already busy setting everything up, preparing you a cozy home.
Once public, you will have to re-register your account in the new forum. This means post count will be reset to 0.

-There will be NO transfer of the posts, galleries and user base - But nothing is lost!
The old forum and all its posts and images will stay online as archive under the same URL. There is so much knowledge hidden here, linked all over the world, this has to stay accessible.

-Transition phase of 1-2 months
There will be a long transition phase when V1 and V2 are active parallel to guarantee a smooth switch.
After that phase V1 will be set to read-only. No more new posts or edits.
The top banner and a global header/footer banner will direct visitors to V2.
If you want to continue discussion in an old V1-topic, you can start a new topic in V2, linking to the archived thread.

That's basically our roadmap.
Still a lot of work and we're doing this in our freetime, so we don't know when we are ready (goal is the next 1-2 months)

There will be some polls here from time to time, asking for your input on some major decisions - please participate as much as you can!

We'll keep you posted!

The Fractal Forums 2 Team
tit_toinou
Iterator

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »

That is great ! Can't wait for it
Cheers

Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 10:38:31 AM »

Thank you all for the hard work to make us a new Fractal-home, we are grateful.   A Beer Cup A Beer Cup

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »

Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig

Kalter Rauch
Iterator

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:56:28 AM »

I wonder if the new software will deal with "3rd Party Hosting" of images as per Photobucket's new TOS?

Oddly...I've only seen one Google image (in deep dream) that was replaced with an error type message,
as happened to most of my posts and some old ones here.

It's a weird issue
because it's like ransomeware.
To use "3rd Party Hosting"
they want $400/year.

Imgur works with my images free
so I don't know if the issue is with photobucket
or some forum software.

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 01:55:48 AM »

I wonder if the new software will deal with "3rd Party Hosting" of images as per Photobucket's new TOS?

Oddly...I've only seen one Google image (in deep dream) that was replaced with an error type message,
as happened to most of my posts and some old ones here.

It's a weird issue
because it's like ransomeware.
To use "3rd Party Hosting"
they want $400/year.

Imgur works with my images free
so I don't know if the issue is with photobucket
or some forum software.

Nobody can deal with what 3rd party hosts choose to do.

Imagur could go the route of photobucket, or go out of business.

We deal with that by avoiding 3rd party hosts!

You can use our gallery for images you wish to share here.

Small pix can be hosted here as attachments to posts and linking to the attachment works.

There are plans to discuss how to improve every aspect of the site, even this.  But no site can influence 3rd party sites. 

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Kalter Rauch
Iterator

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 07:57:02 PM »

When I post an imgur image
there is a choice presented
between several links depending upon the use intended for the image.
There are 2 types of links specified for "message boards and forums" and "message boards".
The first is a "bbcode" and the second is a "linked bbcode".
So far I've been using the first type of link to post here,
since this is a fractal "forum"...
and I don't know why one link specifically points to "forums".

Are you OK if I keep doing this?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 10:29:32 PM »

When I post an imgur image
there is a choice presented
between several links depending upon the use intended for the image.
There are 2 types of links specified for "message boards and forums" and "message boards".
The first is a "bbcode" and the second is a "linked bbcode".
So far I've been using the first type of link to post here,
since this is a fractal "forum"...
and I don't know why one link specifically points to "forums".

Are you OK if I keep doing this?

You can post images any way you like!

The reason for the different embed codes is the different formats needed for different places.

Some use HTML, Some use BBC (like us - it means Bulletin Board Code) and some people like to just post a direct link so they have to click it to see the image.

We can't use HTML, but any way you like to use is fine with us.

I was only discussing the safest way since imagur is a 3rd party site, we have no way of knowing their plans or helping out if they start extorting you like photobucket to get them displayed.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Eldflaug
Forums Newbie

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »

thank you for doing this smiley v smiley
claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »

what will happen to the private messages inbox/outbox in this old site after the transition?  would it be wise for all users to make their own personal backups, as I imagine a read-only website archive means no login functionality?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 06:14:01 PM »

what will happen to the private messages inbox/outbox in this old site after the transition?  would it be wise for all users to make their own personal backups, as I imagine a read-only website archive means no login functionality?

Interesting timing for that post  We were actually just discussing finding a plug-in that would allow PMs to be downloaded as html or xml files!

Logging in will still be possible, at least for a limited time after the new site opens.

And there will be a month or 2 with both sites open to ease the transition.

Plus, if there is ever a need, staff at the new site will still have access here and will be able to assist with that sort of thing.

Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »

I have a request (in case you have not already decided on this): please allow searching the archived old site. Since logging on will no longer be possible, in its current state it would not be searchable...

sabine62.deviantart.com
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 10:20:29 PM »

I have a request (in case you have not already decided on this): please allow searching the archived old site. Since logging on will no longer be possible, in its current state it would not be searchable...

Done!

I had no idea guests were not allowed to search stuff.

Thanks for pointing that out   afro

It's a definite "must have" thing for this planned transition.

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2017, 02:45:59 AM »

Will I stop existing as an actual entity when this forum closes, or will I still exist? 

fractower
Iterator

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2017, 03:54:33 AM »

Will I stop existing as an actual entity when this forum closes, or will I still exist? 

As a solipsist I recognize that you only exist while I am reading one of your posts. Don't worry though I plan to sign up for fractal forums V2 so your continued existence is guaranteed.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: