Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2024, 09:25:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: How I got started with 3d mountains  (Read 2864 times)
rethread
Forums Freshman

« on: July 14, 2017, 03:12:00 PM »

I saw theres a mandebrot function here to get people started with the psychadelic 2d stuff,  so i might as well put my method for making lava mountains here, and it gets you started into amazing organic terrain generation,  theres lots of stuff on youtube.   

they look really good, and they go really realtime quick with a gpu!  (a bit disturbingly quick.)

Excuse for a silly urge to go say what everyone already knows already ->
This fractal raytracing is totally the superpower!
because a) YOU GET TONNES OF DETAIL!!!
             b) theres no FOOTPRINT except the equation!!!
             c) The equation can make a lot of very beautiful strange things.  (as everyone here would know.)
             d) your mountain has a true xyz unchanging topology, just like the mandelbrot, just off one little equation. (or sampling function in this case.)
             e) the visualization code runs very well even on really old computers,  but the hyper threading opengl stuff kicks another level on top of it!
                 so they look potentially really amazing.
             f)  tv killed the radio star....     but once everyones on tv no-one is any more dif....

So give yourself a fullscreen quad, made from 2 triangles,  and in the pixel shader,  you access a 16x16 noise texture at different octaves (a small texture fits in the gpu cache better and goes alot quicker.), for the height level.

The thing is,  how do you make it 3d?

Well, its pretty simple,  one thing you can do,  is just perturb the y with the height after accessing the noise map for the series octaves,   and youll get an isometric mountain.      more advanced techniques use raymarching and raytracing, but they dont go as quick.

Anyone else would like to add anything?  im sure theres some other experts here.   
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 03:20:32 PM by rethread » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: