Logo by MarkJayBee - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 06:10:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Not-so-Novel 3D technique  (Read 4669 times)
Description: someone please render a Mandelbulb with this technique
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« on: February 15, 2010, 12:00:52 AM »

Essentially, it's a "wiggle image" creating a stereo effect, but the browser wiggles it for you.

Here is a link I just found on digg.com:
http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/lifehacker/2010/02/3d2.gif

I think applying this technique to Mandelbulbs and other 3D fractals can produce a nice
effect without requiring any 3D glasses.

knighty
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 09:40:24 PM »

Nice idea.  Yes !!
I've just given it a try.
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 11:42:17 PM »

It kinda works... However, I guess a zoom where the whole M-set covers the background would work better: That other 3D-gif especially works due to the background houses... A scene that offers quite some scales and a nice perspective at the same time smiley Try to find something like that in the Mset and the 3D-effect will improve a lot I guess smiley
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 09:26:10 AM »

Fun stuff... my 20 cents... afro

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 10:03:06 AM »

Better antialiasing, slightly less wiggling...

Getting dizzy...  afro

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2010, 11:16:50 AM »

Fun smiley
Just a suggestion to stress what kram said about the background houses: the perspective effect would be stronger if the background moved more than the foreground, I mean if the rotation axis would go through an edge of the bulb instead of the center in the above picture.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 11:47:30 AM »

Fun smiley
Just a suggestion to stress what kram said about the background houses: the perspective effect would be stronger if the background moved more than the foreground, I mean if the rotation axis would go through an edge of the bulb instead of the center in the above picture.

I see what you mean, I think I should "rotate" the camera instead of moving it, I'll give it a try wink

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 12:50:55 PM »

Wasn't that easy I'm afraid, camera rotating looked just like camera rotating.  tease

Maybe it is possible to implement your idea in some other app, bib.

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 02:08:00 PM »

If you use ultrafracrtal I guess you will have to rotate the camera AND change the target coordinates

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 02:26:18 PM »

Nice stuff smiley

I think, the very best way to do it would be a motif which rotates exactly around that axis where the "main subject" lies... Which hardly ever would exactly be camera rotation...
It would be "move the camera around a circle which has the center going through the main subject".... (and let the view-direction follow along^^)
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 02:34:41 PM »

I think for the most striking depth cue, you want both foreground and background to move slightly, in opposing directions. The point that the camera looks at should be at medium depth. The baby crocodile "photo" that was linked in the first post uses the ground floor as an additional depth cue, a little bit like the old parallax scrolling shooter games from the 8 bit home computer days.

If you can, try to have details spread over the whole range from near to far.
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 02:35:29 PM »

Nice stuff smiley

I think, the very best way to do it would be a motif which rotates exactly around that axis where the "main subject" lies... Which hardly ever would exactly be camera rotation...
It would be "move the camera around a circle which has the center going through the main subject".... (and let the view-direction follow along^^)

Thanks  afro
Yepp, that is exactly what is going on in cbuchners first image...
My images gives more the feeling of sloppy pudding wink

J

I think for the most striking depth cue, you want both foreground and background to move slightly, in opposing directions. The point that the camera looks at should be at medium depth. The baby crocodile "photo" that was linked in the first post uses the ground floor as an additional depth cue, a little bit like the old parallax scrolling shooter games from the 8 bit home computer days.

If you can, try to have details spread over the whole range from near to far.

You are both right, but I dont think I can do this with pixelbender, well I probably can, but I can't. wink
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 02:39:12 PM by KRAFTWERK » Logged

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 02:37:48 PM »

Yeah, as said, in that case, the fore- and background aren't filled out enough. So search for a nice spot in the Mset where you have a more or less clear foreground, midground, background situation, focus and rotate around the midpoint and there you go smiley
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »

Yeah, as said, in that case, the fore- and background aren't filled out enough. So search for a nice spot in the Mset where you have a more or less clear foreground, midground, background situation, focus and rotate around the midpoint and there you go smiley

Easy! wink

I think I settle with my blue earthquake pudding  afro

Or, maybe one more... Sheik Yerbouti !  :smiley

« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 04:36:17 PM by KRAFTWERK » Logged

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 04:54:35 PM »

that paralax effect in the last picture is very good, and gives a good feel of the depth of the image

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: