Logo by S Nelson - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 16, 2024, 09:03:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbox vids  (Read 11490 times)
gussetCrimp
Explorer

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2010, 10:45:34 PM »

Bib:
> Maybe I spent too much time fractaling in the last 6 months...

Nooo...!! Don't stop, your vids are amazing, I get a little surge of excitement every time I see there's a new one. This one was no disappointment. It's one of the first I've seen where the camera isn't pointed in the direction of travel, and to me that makes it very dramatic. I would love to see more like this, sailing gracefully through the box, but with more twists and turns in the maze, looking all around as you travel.
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2010, 11:20:23 PM »

What Mandelbox variation is that Bib? That gives the shards of ice effect.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2010, 09:04:31 AM »

It's one of the first I've seen where the camera isn't pointed in the direction of travel, and to me that makes it very dramatic. I would love to see more like this, sailing gracefully through the box, but with more twists and turns in the maze, looking all around as you travel.
The fact that the camera is not in the movement direction makes it difficult to navigate not in a straight line, due to the way navigations and rotations are currently implemented in UF by David Makin. I am planning to do a more evolved vid, but it will be probably only 90° turns, otherwise the navigation is almost impossible and mostly based on luck.

What Mandelbox variation is that Bib? That gives the shards of ice effect.
It's a scale 2, almost the same than in the animation based on your sequence of stills.

Between order and disorder reigns a delicious moment. (Paul Valéry)
Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2010, 12:56:10 PM »

It's a scale 2, almost the same than in the animation based on your sequence of stills.
It must be a different formula though, the box looks different from the outside as well as the inside.
bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2010, 05:01:36 PM »

Apart from a few differences at the beginning (where the camedra is outside) and the end of the video, I forgot to mention the main difference compared to your sequence is the Spherical power: 1 instead of 2.
At the beginning (global view), the spherical power is 2 and becomes 1 when entering the cube. Also the Scale goes from 2.5 to 2.

hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2010, 09:50:53 PM »

Bib, if you want to take a break, then do so. It has been a privilege seeing your amazing works, but I know one can sometimes overdo fractal exploration. At the end of the day, you are doing this for yourself, and not for us.

I only came here because I had stumbled over the Mandelbulb and wanted to contribute a single idea. But since I found fractalforums, a new type of fascinating 3d fractal seems to be found every single week. You and a few others are always particularly quick in producing beautiful images and movies. You always have a good eye for interesting spots. I don't think I could keep up this speed without growing tired.

Take your time. And hopefully after a while, you'll return with yet more dazzling imagery.
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2010, 10:37:46 AM »

Cool, the first vid you think I could sell is probably the only one where I did absolutely nothing except use the power of my PC to render somebody else's work!! sadsadsad this is encouraging smileysmileysmiley I'm glad my goal is not to make money out of fractals, I would be starving ;-)

All your animations are great bib, just because it looks like a vid on eMTyVee doesn't mean it is the best you did.  cry
Take a short fractal-break (a couple of hours ;9 ), and then come back!!!  afro
Johan

Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2010, 06:22:14 PM »

Bib, I also want to say that you are the most productive fractal maniac. Your animations are amazing. I waiting for more animations from you!

bib
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

At the borders...

100008697663777 @bib993
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2010, 06:43:13 PM »

Thanks for your support guys smiley
Animations are very time consuming. For the rendering of course (I would say that my Mandelbulb animations took 3 to 7 days in average) but for the design as well. Going (or zooming) in straight line is not so difficult once you have found an interesting spot, but doing more complex flight paths is very difficult (to me) with the tools I use.
So I think I will do more images than videos in the near future.
Even though the quality of my "work" is not top notch, I have always tried to bring some unseen features to the fractalforumers' and youtubers' attention, say a different point of view (to my knowledge there is nobody else having tried to do deep zooms of the Mandelbulb). Maybe I need to come back to my earlier set of mind: doing it only for my own pleasure, not caring about doing very "polished" images/vids. It's always a matter of finding a compromise between quality and speed of production. I like both. I'm not the kind of fractalist (I would not dare calling myself an artist) who will come back again and again to the same image until I found the perfect colors, combination of layers, etc...On the other hand, I try at least not to do pictures/vids that are too similar to each other. Do you remember the debate about a certain person who was proud to have done xxx tens of thousands of (uninteresting) fractals ? This is something I want to avoid. I try to have a balanced approach.

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »

Doing it for your own pleasure is the key phrase bib!

I have spent whole weekends carrying my laptop around the house, waiting for the rendering to finish to start the next one.
I will do this as long it still feels interesting, then I will probably carry on to something else... But I think I will continue the exploration of 3D-mandels for quite a while longer.
And I did settle for still images, because I want maximum detail  afro afro afro afro

Anyway, hope to see more renderings from you here, in whatever form!
I have enjoyed all so far!

Johan

Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 06:20:23 PM »

Hi

After many days of rendering I can present new Mandelbox animation in HD resolution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgdN5yO39UI

Animation was rendered using Mandelbulber 0.21
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mandelbulber/

Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 06:48:54 PM »

That's an incredible animation! Is there some way to keep the light source constant, so the shadows aren't always moving? It's distracting...  sad

It's a nice background, btw...  cheesy

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 07:02:11 PM »

That's an incredible animation! Is there some way to keep the light source constant, so the shadows aren't always moving? It's distracting...  sad

Good suggestion about the light source. I will add option to my program to set constant direction of the light.

kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 07:17:02 PM »

Hmm...
VERY Nice cheesy
I have an idea for the lighting:
Maybe you could do an HDR-version of the Buddhabrot, mapped to the Riemann Sphere (so, the samples aren't reduced to 0-255 or 0.0-1.0 but rahter to 0.0-2.5 or something)

It's a great idea to combine this as background with that cheesy
Jesse
Download Section
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 11:59:57 PM »

Incredible video, just perfect.
The shadow doesnt disturbs me here, it gives some extra information. (for all the hours calculation time, it would be a bit waste to fix the shadow pattern on the surface... maybe)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: