Logo by MarkJayBee - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 07:43:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: What exactly is an Appollonian Gasket?  (Read 6803 times)
Description: Interested in the formal definition based on Kleinian groups
Ebanflo
Forums Newbie

« on: May 12, 2017, 06:08:31 AM »

I think these fractals look really cool and would like to better understand how they are formally defined. I recently came across, optimized, and re-implemented someone's algorithm that renders an apollonian gasket by repeatedly inverting every pixel relative to each circle great based on which circle it was in until it escaped. As cool as my finished product is, I'm pretty sure it doesn't directly have anything to do with the definition of a gasket. The first thing I don't understand is the definition of a kleinian group, are they just groups generated by a finite number of mobius transformations? If so, how do the generators affect the nature of the group? Otherwise, I'd like that explained first. The second thing I'm unfamiliar with is the concept of a "limit set," a term I've only heard in the context of kleinian groups that I've never found defined. Is it like a Julia set? Finally, the algorithm that I used recently had the center of each of the three great circles and their radii as parameters; I've read that an Apollonian gasket  is defined by the three points of tangency of these circles. Could someone explain how the points of tangency relate to the associated kleinian group and outline and algorithm for rendering gaskets based on these points? Thank you
Adam Majewski
Fractal Lover

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 08:23:13 AM »

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/Apollonian_fractals

HTH
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: