Logo by Madman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 04:48:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Windows 10 memory and fan issues  (Read 511 times)
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« on: March 27, 2017, 10:25:52 PM »

I have recently bought a new desktop.
Specs:

Msi Nightblade mi2c-062
i7 6700 cpu 3.4ghz
8gb of ddr4 ram
Nvidia geforce 960 gtx gpu with 4gb of memory
And with windows 10 x64 installed.

But I am having a few issues with it. The fan is constantly blowing, even when it is just in idle. But this was not the case before I installed the most updates for windows 10.

I have had a look at the active processes and it seems that the OS is already using about 25% of the available memory which, to me, seems like a lot.

I haven't checked the inside of the case, but I do not think theres dust in there allready.

I have not had a look at the BIOS settings, simply because I don't know enough to safely fiddle around with those settings. One thing I have done is, I have removed some programs I will never use and I have disabled a few programs on the startup.

Are there any people around here who have experienced this as well? If so, what worked for you?

Thanks in advance. smiley

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Softology
Conqueror

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 12:22:48 AM »

Which fan is making the noise?

CPU and GPU fans kick in when the temp rises.  You can monitor CPU and GPU temperatures with the SpeedFan and MSI Afterburner utilities.  That way at least you will know which fan is casing the excessive noise.

CPU fans are always on.  Some will wind down to slower speeds when the load is minimal.

GPU fans depend on the card, but can get quite loud when under full load.

Then there are case fans and the power supply fan.

Since it is new, if you are not comfortable troubleshooting, take it back to who you bought it from and explain the problem and get them to troubleshoot it for you.

That is all I can suggest with minimal info.  Good luck.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 06:40:42 AM »

Thank you.

I will have a look at which of the fans is making the noice. I got this pc via an auction so I will not be able to ask them but they did have a look at the case to ensure everything was good before they sold it. But I can ask for help from msi.

Edit: I do not think it has to do with the fans or the programs managing them. Things were running properly before I updated the OS to a newer version.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:29:46 AM by TheRedshiftRider » Logged

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:45:36 AM »

I can't say anything about Win10 causing problems as I am happily still on Win7 (and I'm planning on postponing moving to win10 as much as I can;) ), but on a new machine similar to yours.
What I'd like to emphasize on is this: the fans may also run all the time because something is getting too hot due to a hardware problem. You might want to rule that out first because if that's the case your hardware might get damaged if you don't act.
Also check if all your drivers are up to date.
And then there is this article:https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/906445/driver-problem-with-win10-and-geforce-gtx-970-zotac-amp-extremecore/
I found some more threads on the net where the nvidia drivers and Win10 aren't exactly a team...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 10:52:30 AM by Sabine » Logged

sabine62.deviantart.com
ellarien
Conqueror

I like flowers

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 11:30:30 AM »

Have you looked at Task Manager to see if anything is using a lot of CPU? I do tend to find that Win10 does a lot of background stuff for a while after it has been installed or upgraded, mostly to do with building the search index. (And Photos really seems to struggle to index things if you have a lot of images.) I used to have trouble with runaway system processes eating memory and CPU on my laptop when I first went to Windows 10, but it settled down after a few more updates, and I can't remember the details now.

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »

I don't know about the rest, but:
speedfan is a nice little tool to control your temperature/fan-speed
I used that a lot before I got a watercooler for my cpu.. (which was well worth the 80 bucks)

to find which fan is running so high without opening the case you could use the portable version of hwmonitor https://www.heise.de/download/product/hwmonitor-53313/download/danke?id=53313-2

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 01:06:55 PM »

I can't say anything about Win10 causing problems as I am happily still on Win7 (and I'm planning on postponing moving to win10 as much as I can;) ), but on a new machine similar to yours.
What I'd like to emphasize on is this: the fans may also run all the time because something is getting too hot due to a hardware problem. You might want to rule that out first because if that's the case your hardware might get damaged if you don't act.
Also check if all your drivers are up to date.
And then there is this article:https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/906445/driver-problem-with-win10-and-geforce-gtx-970-zotac-amp-extremecore/
I found some more threads on the net where the nvidia drivers and Win10 aren't exactly a team...
Have you looked at Task Manager to see if anything is using a lot of CPU? I do tend to find that Win10 does a lot of background stuff for a while after it has been installed or upgraded, mostly to do with building the search index. (And Photos really seems to struggle to index things if you have a lot of images.) I used to have trouble with runaway system processes eating memory and CPU on my laptop when I first went to Windows 10, but it settled down after a few more updates, and I can't remember the details now.
I don't know about the rest, but:
speedfan is a nice little tool to control your temperature/fan-speed
I used that a lot before I got a watercooler for my cpu.. (which was well worth the 80 bucks)

to find which fan is running so high without opening the case you could use the portable version of hwmonitor https://www.heise.de/download/product/hwmonitor-53313/download/danke?id=53313-2

Thanks for the replies. smiley

I have had a look and I found that the fan of the gpu is running while it is not actually being used a lot. I am currently installing MSI afterburner and a newer version of the nvidia software which allows me to have a deeper look into it and hopefully allows me to change some settings.

hwmonitor gave me a good insight of what is going on with the cpu, gpu and the fans inside the case. The gpu fan is running on 33%> while the temperature inside is just below 20 degrees C.

PieMan597
Conqueror

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 02:17:34 PM »

Maybe try adjusting the fan speed in the bios?
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 07:05:51 PM »

Even thought I said I was not going to I could try anyway, but I would wait with that after I have tried other solutions. Thanks for the suggestion. smiley
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 07:14:10 PM by TheRedshiftRider » Logged

PieMan597
Conqueror

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2017, 01:39:27 AM »

Adjusting the fan speed in the bios is usually as simple as locating the fan speed setting and setting it to something quiet.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 07:09:32 PM »

Small update,

I am first going to see if I can change the fan speed. But I am most likely going to install windows 7 as a second operating system to look whether that changes anything because I was planning to do that anyway because of compatibillity issues with some older software. If that works I will make windows 7 my primary operating system.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: