Logo by kr0mat1k - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:14:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 46 inch Stereoscopic display  (Read 5153 times)
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« on: February 05, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »

Hi,

at work we've currently got a 46 inch polarized LCD panel with Full HD resolution for development of a 3D enabled application. With the usual circular polarizing goggles (the same ones created by RealD for movie goers) you can experience a 3D impression in true color. The drawback of this technique is that it effectively halves the vertical resolution (in line by line mode). In the side by side mode vertical AND horizontal resolution are halved.

I modified my CUDA based renderer to output either line by line stereo or side by side stereo images. This is quite a sight spinning and animating the Mandelbulb on such a big screen in 3D glory.

Now if only there was a little less aliasing in my renderer... And I need a better coloring algorithm.

Christian
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 02:41:42 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
fractalwizz
Conqueror

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 02:41:24 PM »

that should look interesting

marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:02:58 AM »

Recently got a 58" samsung plasma hdtv, came with free 3d starter kit (glasses). So i'm temporarily obsessed with 3d again grin
Best way of displaying (short of hdmi 1.4 feeds) i found is to use over/under (left eye on top, half vertical resolution).
Then tell the tv to go into 3d mode, and select over/under mode.
Works pretty well for something like <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8LR9Lcpw-ko&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/8LR9Lcpw-ko&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 10:32:14 AM »

Recently got a 58" samsung plasma hdtv, came with free 3d starter kit (glasses).
    So i'm temporarily obsessed with 3d again  grin
    Best way of displaying (short of hdmi 1.4 feeds) i found is to use over/under
    (left eye on top, half vertical resolution).
    Then tell the tv to go into 3d mode, and select over/under mode.
    Works pretty well for something like   youtube.com/watch?v=8LR9Lcpw-ko

Greetings, and Welcome to this particular Forum !!!    smiley

I believe that each different way people have for viewing such things varies with the individual, due to their own eyes and the way their brain works to interpret the input.  Granted that some ways work for the majority of the populace, but not always for everybody.

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 05:12:32 PM »

Recently got a 58" samsung plasma hdtv, came with free 3d starter kit (glasses). So i'm temporarily obsessed with 3d again grin

The camera control looks as if done with a mouse (similar to how 3D shooters are controlled). Was this rendered in realtime then?

marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 06:24:26 PM »

The camera control looks as if done with a mouse (similar to how 3D shooters are controlled). Was this rendered in realtime then?

Very perceptive ;-)

Yeah, i changed the controls on boxplorer a bit and added recording of a path. Then flew around slowly in interactive low-rez and later rendered the 3500 frames in 1080p (x2). That took ~45 minutes with a HD 4850. I thought about splining but this was the quickest hack to some result.
Jameses
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 11:20:11 AM »

just turning my head to the side and doing the cross eyed technique worked. funnny how i still percieved it as though i was sitting upright in my chair :afro:
marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2010, 01:12:05 AM »

Hi,

at work we've currently got a 46 inch polarized LCD panel with Full HD resolution for development of a 3D enabled application. With the usual circular polarizing goggles (the same ones created by RealD for movie goers) you can experience a 3D impression in true color. The drawback of this technique is that it effectively halves the vertical resolution (in line by line mode). In the side by side mode vertical AND horizontal resolution are halved.

I modified my CUDA based renderer to output either line by line stereo or side by side stereo images. This is quite a sight spinning and animating the Mandelbulb on such a big screen in 3D glory.

Now if only there was a little less aliasing in my renderer... And I need a better coloring algorithm.

Christian

I ordered a Zalman ZM-M240W, to function as 2nd display. Rendering 3d and moving over to the tv is too cumbersome ;-)
Sounds like its properties are exactly like the display you're describing: polarized at the line level.

Now i need to hack up boxplorer to output such interlaced imagery ( i figure the 3d drivers only work if there is z-buffer info.. plus i'm running with a radeon 5850, not as well supported, driver-wise ).

Anyone on this forum got experience with such Zalman displays?
marius
Fractal Lover

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:53:42 PM »

Hi,

Christian

I ordered a Zalman ZM-M240W, to function as 2nd display. Rendering 3d and moving over to the tv is too cumbersome ;-)
Sounds like its properties are exactly like the display you're describing: polarized at the line level.

Now i need to hack up boxplorer to output such interlaced imagery ( i figure the 3d drivers only work if there is z-buffer info.. plus i'm running with a radeon 5850, not as well supported, driver-wise ).

Anyone on this forum got experience with such Zalman displays?

Got the Zalman and hooked it up last night as 2nd monitor to a stock AMD 5850.
The iz3d gaming driver is playing hard to get but I don't really care about that.

The stereoscopic video player works fairly well, as does stuff like stereo picture maker. Lots of options for selecting type of input (side-by-side / over-under / half- or full-rez). Youtube 3d full screen w/ interlaced works as well.

Multi-monitor with the AMD card and Windows 7 is very smooth so far. That has come a long way in 10 years  grin

Stereo separation is very good in the sweet spot right in front of it. But any angle up/down and it's terrible.

Passive polarized glasses from the 3d movie theater work just fine with it.

Looks like decent 24" picture quality w/o the polarized glasses. Very shiny appearance, not unlike the new iMac screens. Reflects like a mirror. But definitely usable as single, dual-purpose monitor.

Not sure how color accurate it could be but that's what I have the other monitor for.

Looking at the other lcd screen while wearing the glasses has no impact other than some dimming so 'working' both with the glasses on is feasible.

Thumbs up.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: