Logo by tomot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 08:51:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Mandelbulber - Animation by sound  (Read 7818 times)
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« on: February 10, 2017, 08:17:05 AM »

Made with the latest development version v2.10

Buddhi released this a few weeks ago on YouTube

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4YArbdU4dYU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/4YArbdU4dYU&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Here is a short basic video  demonstrating some of the controls

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Jy1CY_Yv13Y&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/Jy1CY_Yv13Y&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »

The demo posted yesterday had  primitive shapes and colors responding to the amplitude of different percussion tracks.  Simplified it is      if ( amp > threshold) then vary the parameter in proportion to the amplitude.
And the Menger Sponge responding to pitch of some guitar tracks       Simplified it is  vary the parameter in proportion to the pitch.

This next demo is using pitch of two guitars on one track. No other tracks used.

I  have the parameters responding too much,  and the two lead guitars are  causing some chaotic behavior that is difficult to follow

This Sound Animation will take me sometime to work out

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SwIcBxzk4qw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/SwIcBxzk4qw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 04:14:19 PM »

The most implementations of that kind, that I saw, are also struggling with that too harsh response. If you ever watched a spectrum analyser, you'll understand why. Especially drums/percussion have very little sustain after the "punch". Assuming you don't want to include audio compressors in that module, the cleverest solution might be, to include an (adjustable) release time for the given parameter to return to the 0 amplitude state. That might reduce the trembling appeal of the animation. Many graphical vu meters do it that way.

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 07:49:38 PM »

uhhh..
NOW mandelbulber really becomes interesting for me. thanks for that update and the demos!

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 11:47:48 PM »

Glorious video by Buddhi! So cool that Mandelbulber can do this...  Thank you for posting, mclarekinA Beer Cup
Btw great track by paigan0  A Beer Cup

sabine62.deviantart.com
mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 02:21:16 AM »

The animation value of an object (or an effect) at each frame, is the sum of the parameter value, (generated from the keyframe animation table), and the sound value at that frame.

animVal = paraVal + soundVal.

This tutorial is about the basics of using soundVal to vary animVal.  So I will keep paraVal constant and  use only sound data to direct the animation of parameters.

A cool thing about using only soundVal (no keyframe animation) is that we can set up a trial with just two keyframes (beginning and end).

Note. You can create an audio file for the single purpose of directing the animation of a parameter. This audio file is not used at all in the final song mix. You can also use Anim by Sound to create silent videos.

Keyframe animation requires changes to be made at keyframes.  It is possible with Sound animation  to make changes at any frame, (i.e. a change at any 1 / 30 of a second time interval, when at 30fps.)

The current version is  proof of concept . At present there is a smooth filter and a decay filter,  and only one basic conditional filter, but the enhancement are unlimited. A conditional filter can trigger an event that can last for as many frames as required.  In theory a triggered event can be coded to do "whatever" over a length of frame_time.

If we assume that an event less than 7 frames long, can be difficult to observe at 30fps, then in Pitch mode  the notes have to spaced to allows for this, or increase/decrease in a flowing manner.  If the pitch is rapidly alternating up and down  then we get the jiggling movement.   Similarly with amplitude, so I would make a kick drum trigger  an event of duration 7 frames to ensure it is observable.

The ideal situation is where the music is written for the fractal animation.   (120bpm at 4/4 is ideal to sync keyframe animation with audio animation).

It still early days, there are various known enhancements to evaluate.  And testing can be time consuming without a render farm.

taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 02:22:34 PM »

Btw. is there a roadmap about the release of 2.10?

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
mancoast
Alien

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 04:30:53 PM »

Btw. is there a roadmap about the release of 2.10?

https://github.com/buddhi1980/mandelbulber2/milestones
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: