Logo by MandelBRO - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 23, 2024, 10:44:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Herman Ring  (Read 1208 times)
Description: A Herman ring.
Pauldelbrot
Fractal Senior

pderbyshire2
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:10:36 PM »

An Antimatter Julia set. This is an actual Herman ring. The red gradient is for diverging points, the pink for points tending to 0, and the black set is the Herman ring basin. Herman rings occur for a irrational and c either real or imaginary and greater in magnitude than about three (and sometimes for other values of c but these depend on a).

Technically, the a value given above isn't irrational, though it is pretty close to the golden mean minus 0.4. On the other hand, the computer converts it from polar to rectangular coordinates using trig that can only be approximated, and the rectangular coordinates finally used are rational while those trig functions are transcendental, so the angle of the a-plane unit circle point actually used surely is irrational, and the image thus is of a Herman ring, or at least as close as is practically possible.

Freely redistributable and usable subject to the Creative Commons Attribution license, version 3.0.

Detailed statistics:
Name: Herman Ring
Date: January 6, 2010
Fractal: Antimatter Julia set
Depth: Very Shallow
Min Iterations: 1
Max Iterations: 1339
Layers: 2
Anti-aliasing: 3x3, threshold 0.0, depth 2
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Calculation time: a bit more than 1 hour (2.5GHz dual-core E5200)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: