Logo by yv3 - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 05:31:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Hello from a forum newbie, rendering at 4k, Etc.  (Read 805 times)
saka
Forums Newbie

« on: January 17, 2017, 11:06:55 PM »

Just thought I'd say hello. 

I've started playing around with Kalles Fraktaler to make some zoom videos.  It's taken me a little time to find the settings and workflow that I'm happy with, but I think I've worked it out.   But 4k @ 60fps looks amazing!  I found 30fps too slow when looking at a bigger screen. 

Can I suggest that some info on installing CODEC packs be included on the main page.  I didn't have any suitable codecs installed on my system, and it took a little while to figure out that I should install some. I found AVI files hard to work with, and too slow on playback for high resolution stuff.  Now that I have figured out I can render directly to a single .mp4 (H264) file at 4k60, the video workflow is so much easier.

This little video is a zoom of the "11 Dimensions" file that is included in the software's gallery.  It's my favourite video I have rendered, even though it is someone else's find...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ujvy-DEA-UM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ujvy-DEA-UM&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »

hello and welcome to the forums, if you have anything written useful for video maker newbies (codec-pack download) feel free to write a note and we make it sticky

your video is indeed very smooth i like the smooth but contrasty color selection you used

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 11:30:47 AM »

hi saka & welcome!
I've been experimenting a bit with 4k60 too.
For me it only worked flawlessly if I used that Intel IYUV Codec (resulting in unmanageable filesizes like 500 gigabyte for one movie.
I also tried the h264 codec, but I have the problem that stitching the single videos together results in a short black dropout and some frames missing, so even with postwork I don't get a continuous zoom.
would you mind sharing what codec with what settings you use exactly?
oh and do you use the old moviemaker or the new one mmy3d?

edit: heres the settings I use. they work fine for stitching uncompressed videos and compress into one final file - but not from the mmy3d or the moviemaker.

* settings-hj264.JPG (69.99 KB, 649x570 - viewed 93 times.)

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 11:57:35 AM »

ah, I just saw this:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=23087.0
where you say" If you are using this option set the number of frames to 999999 so KF it doesn't split the video. "
I tried this, but  the tools are too unstable, it never worked for a full movie. And after 3 tries that resulted in a crash after 2-3 days of rendering I gave up frustrated.
How long did the movie-export of your 11 dimension video take?

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Softology
Conqueror

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 11:52:48 PM »

If you are willing to learn a few command line parameters I highly recommend FFmpeg to join your movie frames together.  It does not need any codec packs installed and handles Xvid, H264 and H265.  Handles huge 4K 60fps sized movies fine.

For playback I recommend either MPC Home Cinema or VLC.  Neither need codec packs and handle every movie format I have thrown at them.

For uploading to YouTube I usually use the Xvid format these days.  Once YouTube puts the movie through their internal conversion processes the 4K results always look pixel perfect.

Here is a 4K 60fps sample movie which was a huge (over 30GB from memory) in size XVid format AVI file.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/CKAQRTZB8Pw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/CKAQRTZB8Pw&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

For those parts I used the following command line
ffmpeg.exe -framerate 60 -i FRA%05d.BMP -c:v mpeg4 -vtag xvid -qscale 1 -y "D:TempMOVIE.AVI"

Hope that helps.

Edit: just realised this is specifically about Kalles Fraktaler.  So if it does not output a series of image files for frames you can use then ignore this.
saka
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 02:52:40 AM »

I added a comment to the existing tutorial sticky. The k-lite codec mega codec pack does the job. 

I think H264 is the best option for output at this resolution, it's a nice balance between performance and size.  H265 uses a lot of CPU to encode, which would probably slow down KF.  Any less efficient codec would probably be slowed by hard disk write speeds, unless you have a modern SSD.

ah, I just saw this:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?topic=23087.0
where you say" If you are using this option set the number of frames to 999999 so KF it doesn't split the video. "
I tried this, but  the tools are too unstable, it never worked for a full movie. And after 3 tries that resulted in a crash after 2-3 days of rendering I gave up frustrated.
How long did the movie-export of your 11 dimension video take?

I don't actually know how long the export was, because I started it and went to bed.  A couple of hours I guess.  I've got a pretty high end computer so it was quite manageable.  I exported directly to the MP4 (H264) file, by setting that option in the codec configuration. It seems to bypass KF and write directly to a MP4 file.  The MP4 file was 7.5GB for this video.  (The AVI that KF produces is just empty).   If your having trouble exporting directly to MP4, try updating your k-lite codec pack to the latest version, because it seems stable for me (Win10 64-bit).

saka
Forums Newbie

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 02:57:08 AM »

If you are willing to learn a few command line parameters I highly recommend FFmpeg to join your movie frames together. 
So if it does not output a series of image files for frames you can use then ignore this.
Yep, Premiere will join image frames together just by opening the first, so I'm ok there.  But KF exports small AVI movies.  You need codecs installed on your system, otherwise there are no suitable codecs for KF to export files.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: