Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 10:37:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: graphgrow feedback delay network  (Read 410 times)
Description: a network of pitchshifting elements
claude
Fractal Bachius

« on: December 14, 2016, 11:41:05 PM »

Experimenting with GraphGrow (my thingy for exploring graph-directed iterated function systems) sonification using a feedback delay network containing pitchshifting elements:

https://mathr.co.uk/misc/2016-12-13_graphgrow_feedback_delay_network.mkv (60MB)

(screen filmed with camera as I couldn't figure out how to get audio sync working in a pure digital desktop capture)

The topology of the feedback network matches the topology of the fractal generators, and scaling of edges is mapped to pitch shifting amount (longer edges transpose down, shorter edges transpose up).

Haskell and Pure-data source code at:
https://code.mathr.co.uk/graphgrow/tree/HEAD:/graphgrow3

Since recording that video I've tweaked the audio algorithms, making some delay lines shorter, which gives a more pitched / less noisy sound.  If you don't have a Haskell development environment, you can click the randomize button at the top of the Pure-data patch graphgrow3.pd to hear what it might sound like.

(Earlier experiments modelling the fractal shape itself as a resonator weren't successful - trying to model the frequency response (in particular the phase response) of something infinitely long is tricky (if not impossible), and the sounds were pretty painful to listen to.)
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 01:32:53 PM »

as composer I can say that this would be a nice sounddesign tool. the rumble noise at 2:30 sounds very natural!

I have no idea how the environment you are doing this in works, but an interesting approach to make it all a bit more musical woud be:
-when there are tonal elements, add a notch-filter that only lets through the nice sounding harmics/overtones of a base note that is triggered via midi.

If something like this is possible, this might be a first step towards a fractal-synthesis-instrument..

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
claude
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 03:25:12 AM »

The problem is that the tonal elements with pitches are all emergent from the possibly chaotic dynamics of the network.  So it's impossible to control them in a simple way.  What could be done instead is fix a topology (for example a Koch snowflake hybridized with a tree) and perturb the node positions many times, analysing the audio at each set of positions to form a parameter space map, which you could use to guide live performance.  If you were really lucky you might even get a musical scale, which you could play with a keyboard...
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: