Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 11:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Movie image quality question  (Read 363 times)
Bibby
Forums Newbie

« on: December 05, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »

Hi all, thought I would join to ask a question that probably has an obvious answer.

To keep it very short, I'm recovering from a severe traumatic brain injury amongst a lot of other things, so my memory is quite poor and my cognitive skills aren't great. I started to dabble with Mandelbulb3D a while before my accident, and I'm relearning it, amongst relearning use of my synthesisers. I like to create the movies and join them with me playing music freehand on my synths, sometimes making movie samples and mixing it all together.

What I don't seem to be able to figure out is how to render the animation frames in such a way that keeps everything looking smooth, without jaggedy (almost pixelated) edges. This video might explain better what I mean. It's not the edges of the movie/screen, it's the edges of lines within the fractal animations that I stuggle with. Sometimes it's not as bad on some movies as some others I make, I just haven't figured out what I might be changing to solve it more.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dVZhGMv47i4&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/dVZhGMv47i4&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Thanks for any help.
taurus
Fractal Supremo

profile.php?id=1339106810 @taurus_arts_66
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »

Antialiasing is indeed a challenge for point clouds like those 3d fractals. In opposite to straight triangular 3d meshes, 3d fractals can only be smoothened by increasing the resolution. scaling the rendering to to double resolution (1280x720 ⇒ 2560x1440) should solve most issues. triple resolution lead to max smoothing, although render time will be around 9 times higher (3x3). mandelbulb3d has a pretty easy and effective filter for antialiasing like that. The workaround for mandelbulber need to be done externally and is pretty easy in VirtualDub with the built in filters.
Hope that helps.

when life offers you a lemon, get yourself some salt and tequila!
Bibby
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 06:19:46 PM »

Your help is appreciated very much. If I'm brutally honest I'd been neglecting the antialiasing, even though I'm aware of what it does.  :-

Thanks again.
hgjf2
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 10:17:47 PM »

Fine purple ice-cream!
 A peacock Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »

I wish you a speedy recovery  kiss