Logo by stardust4ever - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 03:13:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractal eXtreme  (Read 62387 times)
Description: very fast and very deep
thepookster
Alien

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 05:31:23 AM »

Has anyone came across a plugin that allows exploration of the Burning Ship fractal in Fractal eXtreme?
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 12:18:53 PM »

I've had a bit of a look at Fractal Extreme's Plugin Kit. It certainly looks doable.
The trick is the absolute function which Bruce Dawson (Cygnus Software) doesn't provide
but can be constructed (in high precision math) from his IsNegative() and FixedNegate() functions.
Apart from that it doesn't seem to big a change from his supplied example Julia plugin.
Just had a look at DeepZoomNet's Burning Ship zoom on YouTube and that's got me interested.
Stay Tuned.
thepookster
Alien

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 11:20:03 PM »

Awesome, I also emailed Cygnus inquiring about this, I'll let you know what I hear back.

DeepZoomNet's Burning Ship video was what got me interested in this fractal, I have been exploring it quite a bit in Ultra Fractal 5, however at any depth where it starts to get interesting, it slows down a lot.

Thanks again for your response.

panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 02:07:10 AM »

Here's the plugin I've just created. I haven't even bothered to rename it from "SamplePlugin.dll".

http://www.mediafire.com/?dc442t4r3j3tn7n

Its 32bit only as I have MSVC++ express and that doesn't do 64 bit.
Perhaps some good person could take my source and build for 64 bit if they have the full MSVC?
Source code is here http://www.mediafire.com/?xq0x4emw323cb83

Its a bit buggy, it crashed Fractal Extreme on exit but ran okay until then.
It does Julia version and has no limit on the zoom depth.
And its seems to be upside down! I may have added something I was supposed to subtract.
I'll look into that so I may have a new mediafire link shortly.
thepookster
Alien

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 02:50:59 AM »

Awesome, that's a great start.  cheesy

I'll test it out and give some feedback, Thanks a lot Panzerboy!

edit: ZOMG its soooo fast!!! this is why I love this program.  Maybe you could email this to Cygnus and have them include it in a new update, the Burning ship fractal is exquisite and is a superb addition to any fractal program.

Thanks again, that was very fast, I honestly didn't expect something that quick.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:14:13 AM by thepookster » Logged
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 03:55:22 AM »

Okay new version, right side up now but is reflected left to right compared with DeepZoomNet's video.

http://www.mediafire.com/?on6in5pb6didawl

Still crashes on exit or closing the fractal window.
I built the sample plugin Cygnus provides and that crashes Fractal Extreme when you try to create any new fractal.
So I suspect the problem isn't my code, possibly the version of MSVC++ 2008 Im using.
Time for me to email Cygnus.

New Source code link http://www.mediafire.com/?ibbs5x3zih6ztad
thepookster
Alien

« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 04:15:42 AM »

I can also confirm the crashing when closing the fractal, although its a minor inconvenience as it works great while its still open.

Well I have my next several hours planned out, just need to find a color pallet that looks good   wink
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 05:10:41 AM »

I've got a couple of zip files with my palettes on my mediafire account.
http://www.mediafire.com/?kkqdg8djtsbci
and just uploaded the new palletes since august 2011
http://www.mediafire.com/?ze841xbd0prlrvo

Try any that end with 4-8-16 or 4816 for stripey palettes.
Some palettes specify offset striping, so ending with of14 means the odd (stripe) palette is the same as even but offsett by 14 places.
Or GOR4812of20 or the GreyEven palettes for a subtley colour striped greyscale.
thepookster
Alien

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 05:51:59 AM »

I've actually been using your pallets for quite some time now from post earlier last year, thanks for the updated ones.

I see they work especially good for the burning ship fractal, especially once you start zooming towards the center of the mini ships. I'm finding so many cool new areas in this fractal, as I suspected, DeepZoomNet's video really only scratches the surface.
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2012, 07:20:27 AM »

Bruce Dawson of Cygnus has kindly built the plugin under MSVC2010 and the crash problem has gone away.
New link for the plugin http://www.mediafire.com/?sllaetoodr3txg7

and now we have a 64bit version too! http://www.mediafire.com/?4w4jc5scv3z2ixw
thepookster
Alien

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2012, 07:23:08 AM »

I love you guys!!!

I have been exploring this for the last few hours, I had no idea stuff like this existed in the Burning ship.

panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »

The Julias do look gorgeous

stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »

PanzerBoy, I would just like to thank you for taking the initiative to do this, and to Bruce Dawson for fixing the plugin (and 64 bits too!) I'm rendering some wild stuff right now, at about 292 zoom levels! I dabbled around previously in the perpendicular Mandelbrot with UltraFractal; the burning ship seems to be similar patterns, in that it is totally disconnected in some parts, and occasionally you get patterns that are skewed, creating elliptical patterns rather than circles. If I render a large enough image, I believe I can fix the skewed effect in post processing with minimal loss of quality. Those who are familiar with my stuff on youtube and deviantart (screenname stardust4ever) may be aware that I have exploited the periodic doubling effect within the Mandelbrot set to create striking patterns of "X" formations which repeat themselves, and I'm somewhat curious to the extent at which the Burning ship can be exploited in similar fashion. Ultrafractal is far too slow (32 bits and unoptimised) for me to explore these bizarre formations to great depth.

If fact, sadly to say, in the past when I first saw the Burning Ship fractal zoomed out, it looked like an uninspiring asymmetric mess, but all of that changed a few months ago when I viewed a deep zoom video of the Burning Ship on HPDZ.net

Keep Zoomin' afro
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 10:02:23 PM by stardust4ever » Logged
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 12:03:41 AM »

I simply love the speed and ease of use of Fractal eXtreme 64-bit and the Burning Ship plugin is really neat too.

I'd love to be able to copy one of my FractInt formulas and paste it into a text entry field and have it interpreted by a plugin, or to figure out how to get a plugin created for some of my formulas.  Here's one of my FractInt formulas:

simon0020 (xaxis) { ;man on his side
  z = c = pixel
  x = 1/c:
  z = 1/((z+c)^tan(x))
  |z| < 4
}

and here's the initial render it creates:

(image removed)

Anyone have the know-how and ability to create this as a plugin for the 64-bit version?

Simon
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 01:57:13 PM by simon.snake » Logged

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
panzerboy
Fractal Lover

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 09:34:10 AM »

Easy enough to do in floating point, you'd be limited to 45 zooms.
It would run slower than the mandelbrot because of the two divides and the tangent function.
Trying to do the same in arbitrary precision would probably be hundreds of times slower.
The Fractal Extreme Plugin SDK doesn't provide trig functions nor even a division for arbitrary precision numbers.
So you'd have to do the divides in slow c++ code rather than Bruce Dawsons fast SSE2 code.
I found an arbitrary precision division algorithm that just used subtractions and additions, lots of them!
Calculating a tangent is an iterative process of its own, each iteration having several multiplications and additions, for a 128 bit number maybe 30-40 iterations?

The only advantage Fractal Extreme would give you over FractInt would be the multi-threading.

I'd use Ultra Fractal. Its floating point gets to the similar depth, and it has all the trig functions and multi-threads.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: