Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:45:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Simonbrot nth  (Read 8893 times)
Description: Does anybody have experience zooming into a Simonbrot with powers not 4 or 6?
greentexas
Navigator

« on: November 06, 2016, 02:00:33 PM »

Hello, I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience zooming into unfamiliar powers of the Simonbrot.

I know the formula for the Simonbrot 4th as z2 * |z|2 + pixel.

The formula for the 6th Simonbrot is z3 * |z|2 + pixel.

Does anybody have experience zooming into fractals like z * |z|2 + pixel (Quadratic Simonbrot) or z4 * |z|2 + pixel? (8th Simonbrot?)

If so, notify me.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 02:14:46 PM »

Yes they have been implemented (exept for the 8th) with perturbation into the program Kalles Fraktaler:
http://chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler/
http://www.fractalforums.com/kalles-fraktaler/kalles-fraktaler-2-11/

I do not have a lot of experience with zooming into it. But there are others here who do.

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
greentexas
Navigator

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 07:46:34 PM »

Yes they have been implemented (exept for the 8th) with perturbation into the program Kalles Fraktaler:
http://chillheimer.de/kallesfraktaler/
http://www.fractalforums.com/kalles-fraktaler/kalles-fraktaler-2-11/

I do not have a lot of experience with zooming into it. But there are others here who do.

You are correct. There is a fourth and sixth power Simonbrot in Kalles Fraktaler. But I'm not aware of any 2nd degree Simonbrot in Kalles Fraktaler.
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 08:01:49 PM »

You are correct. There is a fourth and sixth power Simonbrot in Kalles Fraktaler. But I'm not aware of any 2nd degree Simonbrot in Kalles Fraktaler.
I must have read your post incorrectly. At this point those variants are not implemented at this point. Would indeed be cool to see them implemented.

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
greentexas
Navigator

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2016, 10:47:00 PM »

It would also be nice to see Simonbrot 3rd, 5th, and 7th, but the formulas for these fractals are z1.5 * |z|2 + pixel, z2.5 * |z|2 + pixel, and z3.5 * |z|2 + pixel.

Due to the fact that the powers of some of the terms are fractions, this could be difficult to implement. In a roundabout way, there is a power zero Simonbrot on Kalles Fraktaler, because the power zero Simonbrot is actually the Burning Ship.
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

Experienced Fractal eXtreme plugin crasher!

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:37:46 PM »

I have to say I find it really weird (in a nice way) that there is all this talk of the simonbrot.

It is a little surreal to have people discussing something I found.

It may well have been found before I discovered it - there were thousands of formulas created for the formula parser in FractInt.

Anyway, do not stop talking about it just because I find it weird.  There probably are a whole load of different variants of the base formula still waiting to be discovered.

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
greentexas
Navigator

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 12:48:02 AM »

I actually found the Simonbrot strange when I first saw it (when it was added to Kalles Fraktaler). I have no evidence of anybody seeing it before that time.

Also, I would think of this formula creating something of a Simon-buffalo:

|z2 * |z|2| + pixel

because the formula for the Buffalo is |z2| + pixel.
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 02:26:08 PM »

I was playing in FractInt last night and found that (in FractInt formula parser syntax):

z = abs(z) * z + c        followed by
z = z * z + c

(so only slightly different from the base formula by way of a +c on the first line)

Produces another similar fractal but with mandelbrot style minibrots when zoomed in.

I don't know how you'd code that into your convention.

Strange.

To anyone viewing my posts and finding missing/broken links to a website called www.needanother.co.uk, I still own the domain but recently cancelled my server (saving £30/month) so even though the domain address exists, it points nowhere.  I hope to one day sort something out but for now - sorry!
greentexas
Navigator

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 11:59:30 PM »

The formula for that fractal, as far as I can tell, is: z2 * |z| + c. In |z| power, this formula appears to be something of a hybrid between the Mandelbrot and the Simonbrot.

In a round-about way, this is the Mandelbrot formula:

z2 * |z|0 + c.

(z0 is always 1, and don't forget the identity property of multiplication!)

The Simonbrot has |z| power two, and your new fractal has |z| power one.
LionHeart
Explorer

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2017, 02:47:02 AM »

Hi,

I'm trying to implement the entire suite of SimonBrot fractals. I have success with the even functions:

int   DoSimonSnakeFormula(void)

{
    Complex   zabs, tempz;

zabs.x = fabs(z.x);
    zabs.y = fabs(z.y);
    tempz.y = z.y * zabs.x + z.x * zabs.y;
    tempz.x = z.x * zabs.x - z.y * zabs.y;

z = tempz;
    z = CPolynomial(z, degree) + pixel;

return (CSumSqr(z) >= rqlim);
    }

I would like to upgrade my complex arithmetic routines to include fractional powers of complex numbers. Has anyone else been able to make progress here?

Thanks to all who contributed smiley

Paul the LionHeart
LionHeart
Explorer

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2017, 02:20:45 PM »

Hi Guys,

I have built a square root function into my complex library and seem to have some success with Simon Brot. I have nothing to test against, so I don't know if I have a bug smiley

int   DoSimonSnakeFormula(void)

{
    Complex   zabs, tempz, sqrtz;

zabs.x = fabs(z.x);
    zabs.y = fabs(z.y);
    tempz.y = z.y * zabs.x + z.x * zabs.y;
    tempz.x = z.x * zabs.x - z.y * zabs.y;
    sqrtz = (degree % 2 == 1) ? CSqrt(z) : 1.0;         // use square root power if degree is odd
    z = CPolynomial(tempz, degree / 2)* sqrtz + q;
    return (CSumSqr(z) >= rqlim);
    }

Please let me know if there are any images for Simonbrot 3rd, 5th, and 7th, using the formulas for these fractals:
z1.5 * |z|2 + pixel, z2.5 * |z|2 + pixel, and z3.5 * |z|2 + pixel

Thanks

Paul the LionHeart
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 08:57:08 PM »

Any pictures yet?  I'd love to see what the initial render at standard coordinates looks like.

LionHeart
Explorer

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 04:52:24 AM »

Hi Simon,

Here are the 8 SimonBrot images I produced so far using the algorithm in my previous post.

Simonbrot 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th: The formulas for these fractals are:
z^1.0 * |z|^2 + pixel, z^1.5 * |z|^2 + pixel, z^2.0 * |z|^2 + pixel, z^2.5 * |z|^2 + pixel,
z^3.0 * |z|^2 + pixel, z^3.5 * |z|^2 + pixel, z^4.0 * |z|^2 + pixel, z^4.5 * |z|^2 + pixel.

Can you verify the fractional ones?

Many thanks

Paul the LionHeart

Paul the LionHeart
simon.snake
Fractal Bachius

simon.fez SimonSideBurns
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2017, 11:26:06 PM »

I'm not sure how I can verify anything.  I made up the SimonBrot but I haven't played extensively with the formula to create other powers.

When the formula was being converted to something usable in Fractal eXtreme there were other variants made.

I don't think they looked much like what you have here though.  I'll try to dig out a picture of the different types, if I still have it on my Laptop.

Had a quick look but no joy so far.  Will continue looking.

Meanwhile, here's a formula for one I call Kung Fu Panda:

Code:
kungfupanda {
  ; burning ship variant
  ; SMF abs(z*z) in place of abs(z).
  if (ismand)
    p = 0-pixel
    z = p
  else
    p = 0-p1
    z = 0-pixel
  endif:
  z = abs(z*z)
  z = z * z + p
  |z| < 4
}

LionHeart
Explorer

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2017, 11:33:24 PM »

Hi Simon,

Using the ManpWIN fractal interpreter, I got:

z=c=pixel
z = abs(z*z) *abs(z*z) + c

Does it look right?

Paul the LionHeart
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: