Logo by Madman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 04:01:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Fractoid - A fractal app for Android  (Read 17401 times)
dbyrne
« on: January 20, 2010, 02:43:34 PM »

Reposting this to the proper forum.

I've written a little fractal app for Android called Fractoid.  If you have a mobile device running Android, you can download it for free so check it out and let me know what you think!

I have been toying with the idea of making an open source project out of it and posting it on GitHub.com, but I wasn't sure if any programmers out there would be interested in taking a look at it or working on it with me.  Would this interest anyone?  I realize its not the ideal platform to be generating fractals, but I still think its a fun little app.

Also, I am sure the people on this forum will have a great number of valuable suggestions, so even if you aren't interested in coding anything, let me know what features you would like to see added.
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »

Reposting this to the proper forum.

Actually, you kind of had two topics together.  One advertising your new application.  The other requesting a collaboration.  I just wanted to make sure others would be able to find your app.

dbyrne
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 05:52:22 PM »

Since my original post, I've taken this project a lot further. Fractoid has almost 2,000 downloads, and as a number of new features:

-Pinch-to-zoom
-Mandelbrot & Julia set fractals and 10 different equations
-Escape-time w\ normalized iteration count and two different Gaussian integer coloring algorithms
-Uses Android NDK for greatly improved performance

Source is available under the GPLv3 license at GitHub: http://github.com/dbyrne/Fractoid
If you think you might want to contribute, or if you want to adapt this code for other uses, let me know! I'd be glad to discuss it with you.

I still have a number of features coming down the pipeline:
-A community upload site. Right now you can only share fractals via email,sms,twitter,picasa,etc.
-Curvature estimation and triangle inequality averaging coloring algorithms.
-Improved performance. There are still a few areas I think I can squeeze out a little extra juice.

Here are a couple fractals I generated from my Motorola Droid:
http://picasaweb.google.com/david.r.byrne/Fractoid?feat=content_notification#5436783873028311522
http://picasaweb.google.com/david.r.byrne/Fractoid?feat=content_notification#5436267928532164674
http://picasaweb.google.com/david.r.byrne/Fractoid?feat=content_notification#5437831082958487522
http://picasaweb.google.com/david.r.byrne/Fractoid?feat=content_notification#5436090373231726146

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 05:54:09 PM by dbyrne » Logged
Cyclops
Conqueror

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »

Hmm, will have to try this, if I can get my phone to connect! I think the service provider, T-Mobile, is having 'issues'

Sensitively dependant on initial conditions
Cyclops
Conqueror

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »

Dave, i left a message on your blog about this program-where do we get it? Its not listed on the android market!

dbyrne
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 06:59:35 AM »

Unfortunately, the reason its not available on the market for you is because its only available for android 2.0.1 and up. My multitouch code would not work on a phone running an older version of the OS.  sad
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:01:12 AM by dbyrne » Logged
Cyclops
Conqueror

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 11:43:57 AM »

am confused! Is the OS the kernel or the Firmware? Surely its the kernel in which case i should be good to go!

dbyrne
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:47:01 AM »

Sadly its the firmware sad
Cyclops
Conqueror

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 10:20:55 PM »

In the words of someone famous, Bugger!

wmauzey
Alien

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »

I really have a lot of fun with Fractoid, do use some post processing with color. :^)

DrSarcasmo
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 01:01:57 AM »

Thank you, Sir! An excellent app indeed. I remember images like this took an hour or so to render on my Amiga back in the late 1980's...LOL Now i get them in 10 seconds or so on my Nook. Very nicely implemented also...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 01:45:44 AM by DrSarcasmo » Logged
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2013, 11:14:17 AM »

This is a great app! Only 70kByte, but algorithms and color palettes makes possible to render beaty images, even inner coloring ones.

But unfortunately I found a bug: when the gradients are small (eg. inside patterns of burning ship) when I press Relative Colors button  app is freeze. (I think it is maybe a variable overload problem when divide by (maxcolor-mincolor), which is a little number in this case.)

And more knowledge would be good (save fractal coordinates, manually set color gradients etc.), because this program is very handful.

Some pics (burning ship, Epsilon Cross Bailout algorithm, inside patterns):
(Inside patterns working differently from outside ones: if you increase iteration number patterns will be more detailed. If you use too large iteration number patterns will have subpixel size and you will see nothing but noisy picture. Very little iteration number resulting no patterns. I used 200-400 for my images.)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 12:15:42 PM by bkercso » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: