Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 12:25:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Pathfinding in the Mandelbrot set  (Read 12518 times)
MathJason
Forums Newbie

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2016, 02:26:39 AM »

Ok, I see now how to symbolically generate a path that can then be converted into a numerical path.  By symbolic, I mean internal angled addresses, rational exterior angles, and/or binary exterior angles.  By numerical, I mean, e.g., floating point complex numbers.

- Input the endpoints A and B of the path in symbolic form.
- Find the external angles associated with A and B. (Choose the pair theta_A, theta_B  with minimal angular distance).
- Enumerate the “largest” rational external angles between A and B (probably using lowest common denominator, but maybe there is a better measure of largeness).  Also enumerate the equivalences between these angles.
- Find the shortest path through these external angles (where one can “jump” to an equivalent external angle if possible).  I think this is quite simple: just go to the next rational angle in the ordered list and jump to the furthest equivalent angle if possible.  (If say, A is the 0 angle, then we are basically constructing a finite approximation of the long internal address, except that we are tracing along the boundary instead of jumping between interior components.)
- Finally, take this symbolic path and convert it to a numerical path.  (Claude said this is doable using a combination of ray tracing and Newton’s method.)

If the input is given in numerical form then first find a close symbolic approximation.  If the gaps in the final path are too big (say, more than a pixel apart), then redo the symbolic part with more angles to fill in the gaps.

Steps 1 through 4 are symbolic and likely quite fast.  Step 5 might be really computationally intensive; I am not sure.  If step 5 does take a long time, one could combine this method with my previous method.  Namely, start by drawing the M-set using DE in a high resolution, use the above method to find a few important points along the path, and then use pathfinding on the DE image data to fill in the rest of the path.

If one would prefer the path to follow the internal angles through the interior of the M-set, that is fairly easy to do as well.  Just symbolically associate points on the boundary of an interior component with a symbolic representation of that component.  Then follow the path through the component given by the internal angles.

To be clear, I don’t know if I am going to try an implement this.  It seems like all the ingredients are there in, say, Claude’s code base.  However, I don’t really know how to program in C or Haskell, and I feel like thinking about this project has taken up a bit too much of my time already.  (But I admit, it is fun to think about.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 03:50:15 PM by MathJason, Reason: typo » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: