Logo by simon.snake - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 04:06:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3D .OBJ\S CREATED WITH MANDELBULB 3D AND FIJI LOOK ' FLUFFY' IN MESHLAB?  (Read 1172 times)
Description: 3D .OBJ\S CREATED WITH MANDELBULB 3D AND FIJI LOOK ' FLUFFY' IN MESHLAB?
PeterWolf
Forums Freshman

« on: September 12, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »

Dearest,
I am a complete newbie and I wonder ; how come a 3d obj file created with Mandelbulb 3d and Fiji look like sprayed with a foam after imported into Meshlab (SEE ATTACHEMENT), how can this be? I mean, in Mandelbulb 3d the fractal has f.e. straight clean corners/boxes after rendering in Mandelbulb, in FIJI it looks tight as well but after loading in Meshlab the .obj file has a bubble foam appearance. Can these be flattened? When I try this with Sculptris Sculptris gives me an error message during importing the fractal .obj file ; ' too many triangles connected to an edge (max 2) . Can I modify the .obj in Meshlab so Sculptris does import the obj file? Cos then I could try to ' flatten' the surfaces of the .obj. Or is it that any  values in Mandelbulb 3d need to changed to get almost the exact result as the 3d fractal looks like in ~Mandelbulb 3d?

Many thanks in advance for answering

kind regards

* MESHLAB SCREENSHOT FLUFFY OBJ.jpg (75.17 KB, 1000x450 - viewed 43 times.)
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

The obj export is a feature that is ahead of it's time technologically!

To get the details sharper you need bigger voxel stacks, and that means prohibitively huge obj files (dozens of gigabytes!).

Getting it fine tuned is an art that is dependent on your hardware and software.

People get best results with monster machines using huge amounts of RAM and able to handle files of several GB with no difficulty.

The best results I have seen came from ZBrush, which is a pricey program, but in this case you really do get what you pay for!

The best approach is to use low poly obj files with high resolution bump and displacement maps, but that feature has yet to be implemented anywhere I have seen.

Meshlab's decimation tools help reduce file size, but reduce details in the process.

Give it a decade or two and we'll be able to handle these files a lot better!

Until then, just find the settings that work best within your system's limits and don't do extreme close up renders. 

Hope that helps!

Here's one of the better results I got using obj files in Carrara:

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2016, 05:35:17 PM »

Why not to use the internal mesh-generator? Is more sophisticated than the use of voxelstacks, is much faster and has preview
PeterWolf
Forums Freshman

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2016, 05:54:17 PM »

Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

The obj export is a feature that is ahead of it's time technologically!

To get the details sharper you need bigger voxel stacks, and that means prohibitively huge obj files (dozens of gigabytes!).

Getting it fine tuned is an art that is dependent on your hardware and software.

People get best results with monster machines using huge amounts of RAM and able to handle files of several GB with no difficulty.

The best results I have seen came from ZBrush, which is a pricey program, but in this case you really do get what you pay for!

The best approach is to use low poly obj files with high resolution bump and displacement maps, but that feature has yet to be implemented anywhere I have seen.

Meshlab's decimation tools help reduce file size, but reduce details in the process.

Give it a decade or two and we'll be able to handle these files a lot better!

Until then, just find the settings that work best within your system's limits and don't do extreme close up renders. 

Hope that helps!

Here's one of the better results I got using obj files in Carrara:

<Quoted Image Removed>

Wow, thank you for sobering me up smiley / sad Haahaa. 

Ok, I'll just work with what ~I got and am able to work with .

Thanks for the reply

cheers
PeterWolf
Forums Freshman

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 05:56:42 PM »

Why not to use the internal mesh-generator? Is more sophisticated than the use of voxelstacks, is much faster and has preview

Please help me here, the internal mesh generator in Mandelbulb 3d? OK,

I'll check it out , thanks.

kr

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »

Please help me here, the internal mesh generator in Mandelbulb 3d? OK,

I'll check it out , thanks.

kr

That is called "Bulb Tracer" and I think it is under the "Tools" tab, but I am at work and can't confirm at the moment...

It's a nice feature, but I never worked too much with it as it was a recent addition and haven't made an obj file for a while.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
PeterWolf
Forums Freshman

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 06:26:23 PM »

That is called "Bulb Tracer" and I think it is under the "Tools" tab, but I am at work and can't confirm at the moment...

It's a nice feature, but I never worked too much with it as it was a recent addition and haven't made an obj file for a while.

I am using a Mac and this feature I cannot find on the Mandelbulb 3d I use ( 1.9) As far as I believe the ' new'  Mandelbulb 3d is 1.9.9 and is not available ?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:49:28 PM »

I am using a Mac and this feature I cannot find on the Mandelbulb 3d I use ( 1.9) As far as I believe the ' new'  Mandelbulb 3d is 1.9.9 and is not available ?

It's highlighted in the attached image.

I think the mac wrapper guy never did do the later versions, but am unsure, however; MB3D runs fine under WINE.  Or at least it did when I had a mac...

Hope that helps.

* Cd01.jpg (190.75 KB, 383x257 - viewed 125 times.)

JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 07:20:52 AM »

meshlab is great , i keep the source on my box for remeshing point clouds
but the viewer is right out of the 1990's  and motif

even on my 5+ year old i5 with 8 gig ram and a older legacy support nvidia card Blender ( and meshlab) can work on a 2 gig mesh
-- a bit slowly , but usable .

you might want to see what the obj looks like in blender
a comparison using StructurSynth 
blender then meshlab

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
PeterWolf
Forums Freshman

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 11:05:24 AM »

It's highlighted in the attached image.

I think the mac wrapper guy never did do the later versions, but am unsure, however; MB3D runs fine under WINE.  Or at least it did when I had a mac...

Hope that helps.

Nah, sad , no Mac version with that feature....     sad
PeterWolf
Forums Freshman

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 11:15:44 AM »

meshlab is great , i keep the source on my box for remeshing point clouds
but the viewer is right out of the 1990's  and motif

even on my 5+ year old i5 with 8 gig ram and a older legacy support nvidia card Blender ( and meshlab) can work on a 2 gig mesh
-- a bit slowly , but usable .

you might want to see what the obj looks like in blender
a comparison using StructurSynth 
blender then meshlab
<Quoted Image Removed> <Quoted Image Removed> <Quoted Image Removed> <Quoted Image Removed>

I never use(d) Blender ever, the app makes me nervous, too intimidating, I'll have to search for even the most simple standard functions, horrible app.
I simply don't have the time and not even the commitment to learn to work with that monster... sad

STructurSynth? What? Where? How?

I guess you can understand what I mean
sad
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »

Nah, sad , no Mac version with that feature....     sad
Works fine with WINE
PeterWolf
Forums Freshman

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 02:40:31 PM »

Works fine with WINE

Where and how can I download 1.9.1 working for Mac then? I downloaded it and it here  http://www.macworld.co.uk/download/system-desktop-tools/mandelbulb-3d-191-3330413/#downloadInfo , and it is NOT 1.9.1. but 1.9 , the one I have already installed on my MAC
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 02:54:45 PM »

Where and how can I download 1.9.1 working for Mac then?

You can't download a "version for mac" since it doesn't exist, but you can get WINE (a windows emulator, despite their claims tht it isn't!)  (either way, it is a framework for running windows software natively on a mac without installing windows!).

I don't have a link (posting from work again) but WINE is a common item for mac users and should be easy to find.

Install that, then you can run not just MB3D, but many, many, other windows programs too!

A worthwhile tool to have.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 04:41:05 PM »

Where and how can I download 1.9.1 working for Mac then? I downloaded it and it here  http://www.macworld.co.uk/download/system-desktop-tools/mandelbulb-3d-191-3330413/#downloadInfo , and it is NOT 1.9.1. but 1.9 , the one I have already installed on my MAC

more or less this site is stealing the download file from our site, it is in no way an official download, the official download is solely from our site:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=downloads;cat=5

1.9.1 can be found here:
http://www.fractalforums.com/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=64

the file you download from our site is garanteed to not be modified, usually those sites stel files from others and contain them in some format they want, it is just crap they put outside the file (in some cases ) the original is the direct download found here on this site

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: