Logo by lycium - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 11:43:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Heightmaps, lightmaps & backgrounds  (Read 3790 times)
Description: Comprehensive guide to Heightmaps, lightmaps & backgrounds
knokin
Forums Freshman

« on: July 07, 2016, 02:54:44 AM »

There is a tutorial  on Heightmaps, lightmaps & backgrounds available for download at https://www.facebook.com/groups/amandelbulbmaniac/files/
A comprehensive practical guide to adding non-fractal material in MB3D - Lightmaps, Heightmaps and Backgrounds. With tips on adding figures, animals etc convincingly post-render. It is aimed as a reference for the non-mathematical: beginners and the more experienced alike.

My aim was to create something like a chapter from the manual MB3D has never had, drawing together available knowledge and tutorials (with links as relevant) on these topics. This isn’t just an update of my original notes but a complete revision with new content. It also adds knowledge from others in the community: including new clarification I received from artists at both DeviantArt and Mandelbulb Maniacs Facebook Group while I prepared it.

In particular, I’m grateful to matze2001/ Dortus Gunst for contributing a list (with links) of different ways he has found to use heightmaps that go beyond the multiple tiling of the defaults. Gary Webb, and Lee Oliver (from Mandelbulb Maniacs) added detailed advice on adding heightmaps as floors or other textured or shiny planes. Oxnot also gave me guidance on handling the often neglected Heightmap2IFS. I am also grateful to those unnamed Deviant and Maniacs, who have also been quick to respond to my questions.

Lyn

« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:52:57 AM by knokin, Reason: changed where this is found » Logged
Clior13
Alien

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 08:03:43 PM »

Where is the link of the tutorial?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 08:05:44 PM »

Where is the link of the tutorial?

It's in the first sentence of the first post   blindfold educated Elvis Presley

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
0Encrypted0
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 09:22:54 PM »

The provided link is only to a list of files.
I am not a Facebook member so I can not see the complete list.
Can someone provide the actual link to the specific file mentioned in the original post?
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 09:36:17 PM »

The provided link is only to a list of files.
I am not a Facebook member so I can not see the complete list.
Can someone provide the actual link to the specific file mentioned in the original post?

I don't do facebook either, so just assumed it was one of those "must be logged in to see" links.

If I am mistaken in that, I apologize!

Perhaps knokin will see this and answer. 

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: