Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 05:50:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Some 3d printed fractals  (Read 3849 times)
ansr23
Forums Freshman

« on: June 27, 2016, 11:58:28 PM »

I have been experimenting with an Ultimaker 2 printer and here are some of my initial results.
At this point, I have been working within the limits of the 3d printer software, which seems to crash when trying to generate print paths for highly detailed meshes (>50mb) or complicated forms that have a lot of overhangs. For this set I've stuck with relatively flat and contiguous surfaces.
Overall I'm pretty impressed with the level of detail the Ultimakers can generate.

Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:27:05 PM »

Wait, are these actual photos of your 3D prints? They look more like compute-generated images.

Otherwise, I'm also very interested in the possibilities of 3D print, so let's continue this discussion.

ansr23
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 11:25:38 PM »

yep. part of the effect is due to the back-lighting coming through the material. (the yellowish glow) While there is still a lot of detail in these fractals, they are substantially smoother than the original fractals due to the process of preparing the mesh for print. I'm sure others have struggled with this.

If you look closely you can see a lot of the printing artifacts like the print paths, little leftover hairs where the print nozzle retracted, and support material which hasn't been totally removed.

Happy to keep this discussion going  smiley
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »

really looks great! could you post a full view of the printed objects?
It's so hard to tell the size of it.. (soo uncommon for fractals wink)

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2016, 05:56:13 PM »

Many people make photos of their 3D prints with things like matches or coins in the pictures, so you can tell how big things are.

KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 08:31:54 AM »

Fantastic result I must say, ansr23, and welcome to the forum!
- But I am even more amazed about your photographing technique, how did you get that yellowish back-lighting to look exactly like iteration fog?  shocked

ansr23
Forums Freshman

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 04:49:44 AM »

Ok. Here is a pic with a banana for scale.

No photography techniques..these were taken on my phone actually. The glow is just how the light passes through the print material.
I am purposely cropping these images to not show scale, and because most of these prints are "cropped" captures so they have hard edges. I am more interested in surface detail; they are not as interesting as sculptural objects. I am thinking of mounting these in deep lightboxes so that they can be back-lit. A lot of the internal details show through this way.

The print in the image is around 200mm x 200mm x ~150mm which is the biggest size in xy that i can print on this particular printer. I'd love to do larger stuff am looking into cnc routering these into wood.
KRAFTWERK
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Virtual Surreality

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2016, 10:52:54 AM »

Ok. Here is a pic with a banana for scale.
<Quoted Image Removed>

No photography techniques..these were taken on my phone actually. The glow is just how the light passes through the print material.
I am purposely cropping these images to not show scale, and because most of these prints are "cropped" captures so they have hard edges. I am more interested in surface detail; they are not as interesting as sculptural objects. I am thinking of mounting these in deep lightboxes so that they can be back-lit. A lot of the internal details show through this way.

The print in the image is around 200mm x 200mm x ~150mm which is the biggest size in xy that i can print on this particular printer. I'd love to do larger stuff am looking into cnc routering these into wood.

Wow, to be honest I thought they were renders... and that is good smiley
Great work!  A Beer Cup
(I am convinced and still amazed about your photographing technique  afro )

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2016, 05:37:02 PM »

I am more interested in surface detail; they are not as interesting as sculptural objects.
.... which is the biggest size in xy that i can print on this particular printer.
I totally understand that! those details are beautiful!
this sounds like you print them yourself, at home?
that's exciting! what equipment did you use to print? I mean, is this like a potential hobby to start?

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
ansr23
Forums Freshman

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 06:16:20 PM »

Thanks for your kind words.

I am fortunate enough to have access to some printers at a fabrication shop at a university.
I would love to have my own printer at home  but they are unfortunately a little out of my price range.
Also there are tremendous improvements made to the hardware all the time that they become outmoded pretty quickly

I think anyone producing a lot of prints through services like shapeways might eventually make their money back.
However these are desktop printers and can not come close to the quality and material options that commercial printers produce.

Here is a pic of a print in action. All of those horizontal lines are support material which is removed afterwards.

Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 09:16:55 PM »

This is truly great. Sorry I couldn't believe you at first - the pictures simply looked too good.

hgjf2
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 08:28:24 AM »

Thanks for your kind words.

I am fortunate enough to have access to some printers at a fabrication shop at a university.
I would love to have my own printer at home  but they are unfortunately a little out of my price range.
Also there are tremendous improvements made to the hardware all the time that they become outmoded pretty quickly

I think anyone producing a lot of prints through services like shapeways might eventually make their money back.
However these are desktop printers and can not come close to the quality and material options that commercial printers produce.

Here is a pic of a print in action. All of those horizontal lines are support material which is removed afterwards.

<Quoted Image Removed>

Nice fractal modelling for food made!
COOL!
 A peacock Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig
Sadly that 3D printers are too expansive, that I like to purchase one, for to decoratings.
ansr23
Forums Freshman

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2016, 05:34:40 AM »

Here are some details from my latest prints.

I've had a little more success with complex 3d forms using bulb tracer. Meshes come out pretty clean and don't crash the slicer software, although 50mb stl file size still seems to be the upper limit at least for Cura and Simplify3d. Not sure how large a file shapeways accepts. These prints are about 150mm x 150mm x 150mm and print at a resolution of .01mm. Base mesh is exported at 800^3 voxels

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 06:09:42 AM by ansr23 » Logged
ansr23
Forums Freshman

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2017, 02:37:06 AM »

Here are some pics of new prints. Removing the support material from interior spaces has proven quite difficult if not impossible for some of these.

Here is a collection of some my prints so far...

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2017, 06:02:55 AM »

cool.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: