Logo by KRAFTWERK - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 08:22:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3d Hypercomplex Fractal  (Read 403 times)
Description: A quick description of a fractal I thought up using hypercomplex numbers.
jhazelden
Forums Newbie

« on: June 19, 2016, 03:32:39 PM »

Hi all. I would like to outline a fractal I thought up recently that, as far as I know, has not been discovered. The fractal is generated using a hypercomplex number system with dimension of 3, allowing for a 3d fractal. In this system, numbers are represented in terms of three basis vectors 1, i, and j. I defined mutiplication of these basis vectors in the following table:
X 1 i j
1 1 i j
i i i 1
j j 1 j
Using this definition of multiplication, here's what the product of two number in this system, say a+bi+cj and d+ei+fj, would look like:
$(a+bi+cj)(d+ei+fj) = (ad+bf+ce) + (ae+bd+be)i + (af+cd+cf)j$.
It is easy to prove that this system is distributive, making it hypercomplex, along with also being associative and commutative.
Finally, I applied the mandelbrot transformation: $Z_n=Z_n-1^2+c, z_0=0$, where c was the current coordinate in 3d, and colored it based on how long it took to grow outside of a box, just like the mandelbrot.
The end result is in this video:
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/gbqG23NxaAY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/gbqG23NxaAY&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
I'm rendering it in openGL by cutting out planes so it doesn't look so nice right now, but I would like to, eventually, render it with volume rendering. If anyone feels so inclined: I would love seeing what the fractal looks like
rendered in a professional program. Anyways, I just thought I would share this fractal because I haven't seen one generated this way, but please correct me if I'm wrong. The method I used could be changed tons
because of all the different permutations possible with the multiplication definition and the method of determining the c constant, just like with the mandelbrot.
Please tell me what you think, or provide some better images of the fractal, if you like smiley

lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 04:37:37 PM »

Hi,

This idea has been explored before, but I'm not aware of any videos of it.  If I remember correctly, it resembled other 3d systems and wasn't all that interesting for the regular Mandelbrot set.  But then again, I don't think it was explored that much.

Kerry
hgjf2
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:08:56 AM »

This fractal don't look as fractal. This function is simmilar with the Henon map.
Answer: for the hypercomplex a+bi+cj if (a+bi+cj)*(d+ei+fj)=(ad+bf+ce)+(bd+ae+be)i+(cd+af+cf)j, the plane section for j=0.
This function is newx=x*x+cx and newy=y*y+2*x*y+cy with x=newx and y=newy for each iteration, but this 2D transformation isn't holomorph.
Also the Henon map isn't holomorph. Knife and Fork
Neither for plane section for i=0 that having same 2D transformation. But for real number give 0 (a=0 and d=0) having bf+ce+bei+cfj more complicated due bi+cj isn't algebrical subgroup.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: