Logo by stardust4ever - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 08:05:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Cubic/Quartic Irrational Halley Formula  (Read 1749 times)
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« on: January 09, 2010, 09:29:12 AM »

Hi, I was just thinking about using a parabola-type version of the Newton iteration when I read about the Irrational Halley formula. Does anyone know some code for it? I can't seem to find any or right any functional code myself...  cry

Anyway, I was thinking about doing something even further with a cubic or quartic polynomial (quintic don't have a closed form solution) fit to the given function. That is, to solve for example Y=i*X^7-(2+i)*X^3-6*X^2-i , we'd fit a quartic polynomial to any point z, with the height and the first four derivatives equal, and then use the "quartic" formula to find the roots of this polynomial. I'm hopeful this could produce some interesting results - probably somewhat like the Newton fractal. Help is appreciated!

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: