Logo by reallybigname - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:53:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Suggestions for a renderer to explore a 3D density function (voxels)  (Read 1855 times)
snickell
Forums Newbie

« on: May 28, 2016, 05:08:11 AM »

I have a dense 3D IFS that I'd like to explore. It produces a "density" at each point in 3D, essentially opacity voxels.

Here's a really poor 3D rendering using a program designed for 3d medical data (cat scans, etc):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5048927/3d-ifs-osirix-render.png

Here's a movie where the 3rd dimension is mapped to time (panning through one rendering):
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5048927/3d-ifs.mp4

I was wondering if somebody could suggest a renderer program/framework for getting a good rendering of this done, to start to understand the properties of this space. I've currently implemented the IFS's density(x,y,z) function in both python and GLSL, but I don't know enough about 3d rendering to write my own raymarcher in GLSL. Ideally I'd really like to explore the IFS in semi-realtime using a GPU rendering, but high quality is important as an option.

I'd be happy outputting 3D data in any sane file format for which a suitable high quality renderer was available.

-Seth

phtolo
Navigator

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:06:55 PM »

Fragmentarium would be my suggestion.
I don't know of any programs that lets you explore transparent objects of the bat, instead you could try the following:

Look at Examples - Tutorials - 26 3D fractals without a DE.frag
You need to add a slider for what opacity level and change the bool inside(vec3 pos) function to your density function with a check of the opacity-level.
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 09:23:01 AM »

What voxel format you currently output to?
If you're on openVDB, you could try using industry VFX tools - like houdini. It has a free apprentice version these days.

If you can save to ASCII pointcloud (XYZ + RGBABC) where ABC are arbitrary properties (color, density, reflectance etc…) the best renderer for that would be Krakatoa.
You can run it as a standalone or plugin to majority of 3D software out there. Krakatoa handles easily massive datasets. I was rendering about 1 000 000 000 points dataset at a regular workstation.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 09:55:38 AM »

http://www.fractalforums.com/fragmentarium/generating-wave-front-obj-files-from-exr-voxel-cube/

just now tinkering with a renderer/converter that takes an EXR slice stack and outputs a .obj (wavefront) file or .pcd (point cloud data) file

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: