Logo by simon.snake - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 01:37:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: MC Escher's "Circle Limit" pictures  (Read 9133 times)
Max Sinister
Conqueror

« on: May 24, 2016, 11:31:55 PM »

Today I had this idea in the other forum: Escher's pictures "Circle Limit" I to IV... they look kind of fractal, but I'm not entirely sure.

What do the other Escher fans think?

0Encrypted0
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 01:47:33 AM »

M.C.Escher Circle Limit III in a rectangle by Vladimir-Bulatov
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 06:13:13 AM »

Well, I guess the shapes he uses aren't selfsimilar but due to the projection it becomes a fractal.

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:02:23 AM »

yes, definitely fractal.
Well, I guess the shapes he uses aren't selfsimilar
I think they very much are.. same forms, some just slightly warped and decreasing in size. that for me is self-similarity

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:00:36 AM »

yes, definitely fractal.I think they very much are.. same forms, some just slightly warped and decreasing in size. that for me is self-similarity

I meant the fishes themselves. smiley

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 02:24:52 PM »

Escher's circle limits are tilings of the hyperbolic disc. Nothing fractal about it. The individual tiles just get smaller and smaller towards the edge of the circle.

If one calls this 'fractal', than one should call the square tiles in your bathroom 'fractal' also.
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2016, 03:58:35 PM »

wohoo, I've got fractal tiles in my bathroom!  grin

seriously:

can't you see it?

the patterns repeat and they get smaller and smaller, so they are scale invariant.
to quote the very first sentence for "fractals" from wikipedia:

A fractal is a natural phenomenon or a mathematical set that exhibits a repeating pattern that displays at every scale.

what does the koch curve do much differently? or the cantor set?

lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 04:29:39 PM »

Escher's circle limits are tilings of the hyperbolic disc. Nothing fractal about it. The individual tiles just get smaller and smaller towards the edge of the circle.

If one calls this 'fractal', than one should call the square tiles in your bathroom 'fractal' also.

I would say that Escher's circle limits *can be thought of* as tilings of the hyperbolic disk.  That the projection makes the shapes get smaller and smaller toward the edge is what makes this a fractal image, in my mind.  The bathroom floor is not a fractal because the tiles are the same size.
JosLeys
Strange Attractor

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2016, 04:57:37 PM »

Well, if you had eyes adapted to hyperbolic geometry, you would see that all the tiles are the same size, when measured with the hyperbolic metric that is valid in the disc.
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 05:36:35 PM »

So it's a question of perspective? If you watch it from a 'hyperbolic geometry'-perspective, all tiles are the same size.
The thing is, probably no eyes in reality are adapted to hyperbolic geometry - (being a purely theoretical concept?).
So if you watch it from a human 'real life' perspective, with my eyes looking on the 2d computerscreen, the visible patterns clearly show fractal characteristics.
I don't see the point in saying 'this must (or even can only) be watched from a certain perspective."
(even if the mathematics behind this are solid)

Could you explain to a non-mathematician in simple words, what the difference between hyperbolic and fractal geometry is?

couldn't you generate eschers picture by using IFS?

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2016, 06:07:06 PM »

wohoo, I've got fractal tiles in my bathroom!  grin

seriously:
<Quoted Image Removed>
can't you see it?

the patterns repeat and they get smaller and smaller, so they are scale invariant.
to quote the very first sentence for "fractals" from wikipedia:

A fractal is a natural phenomenon or a mathematical set that exhibits a repeating pattern that displays at every scale.

what does the koch curve do much differently? or the cantor set?

I think the difference is the same one I always go on about - if a fractal is a natural phenomenon or a mathematical set that exhibits a repeating pattern that displays at every scale, then the bathroom tiles fail to meet either of the qualifying criteria.  They certainly are not a natural phenomenon, and it would take quite a lot to convince me that they are a mathematical set.  Both the Koch Curve and The Cantor Set are quite definitely a mathematical set, and thus meet the criteria.

That's just my several hundred pennies worth   tease

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2016, 11:27:33 PM »

Yeah, after thinking about it, it's like this: Like the Koch curve, these pictures have infinitely many figures on limited space; to create it, you need an iterative process, also like with many fractals; but you can't cut it in pieces which look exactly like a smaller version of the whole picture, so it's different. Am I forgetting something?

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2016, 11:54:10 PM »

...but you can't cut it in pieces which look exactly like a smaller version of the whole picture, so it's different.
Am I forgetting something?
I think you do.
That there is not just strict-self similarity like in the koch curve but also quasi-selfsimilarity like in the mandelbrot-set, where shapes can look very different from each other but still are similar to their 'close relatives'.
A common example for this would be the distorted mini-mandelbrot sets deeper down in seahorse valley.

* seahorseminiset-sml.jpg (58.78 KB, 640x360 - viewed 601 times.)

Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 11:15:57 PM »

Well, the definition of fractal includes: They have a number of dimensions that isn't a plain number.

But how would you measure the dimension of Circle Limit X?

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2016, 09:18:09 AM »

I have no idea.

But I'm wondering about what kind of dimensions are we talking about? if it's the fractal dimension as in Hausdorff Dimension, lots of fractals have an integer dimension, like the mandelbrot set with 2.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fractals_by_Hausdorff_dimension

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: