Logo by Dinkydau - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 12:41:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: No Mans Sky  (Read 726 times)
gyphia
Forums Newbie

« on: May 09, 2016, 02:27:59 PM »

Hi
Do you think the upcoming game 'No mans Sky' uses a similar method to Mandelbulb to create its procedurally generated planets?.
Just wondering what methods they use.
Thanks
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2016, 03:07:30 PM »

hi, for once, the whole game is build around fractal mechanics, the techniques differ and "pure" fractals are most likely not to be found, its a whole collection of huge algorithms playing together, highly dynamic l-systems for tree generation, many many procedural techniques to obtain surface materials, most of them by using layered noise functions( perlin noise )

but as a side note, i am really excited about that and i love the love they put into the game and especially i am keen on the living animals floating around, its just a fantastic example of how procedural generation can be used to achieve useful content

looking forward to it, will be awesome!

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 11:37:30 PM »

"whole game build around fractal mechanics"? I will definitely have to check this out.

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 11:42:26 PM »

to see fractals in action? yes sir this will be it, the landscapes i forgot to mention, they are formed out of the noise functions, BUT they do not simple heightmapping, or at least they fill their "simple heightmapping" with caves, and these are of fractal nature as well, so, this game is just going to be awesome, and i certainly will do a video where i talk about aspects of the game

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 11:47:30 PM »

18 trillion (long scale) planets! Now that's some game you can explore forever. Exactly to my taste.

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:16:43 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/K0umGtw90Z4&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/K0umGtw90Z4&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>
I don't think the connection is the mandelbulb but fractals in general.
and yeah, it's the most fractal game ever! I'm so looking forward to it..

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: