Logo by rathinagiri - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 07:55:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Competition Idea  (Read 7475 times)
Description: The Real Mandelbrot Competition
makc
Strange Attractor

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 12:11:50 PM »

I was recently looking at actual Mandelbrot orbits and found that, while many orbits clearly diverge or converge, some vibrate for a long time, and some of those some suddenly diverge or converge after significant number of iterations. Does anyone have any idea if this is caused by limited floating point precision, or is it real behavior?
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 01:17:16 PM »

I was recently looking at actual Mandelbrot orbits and found that, while many orbits clearly diverge or converge, some vibrate for a long time, and some of those some suddenly diverge or converge after significant number of iterations. Does anyone have any idea if this is caused by limited floating point precision, or is it real behavior?

Generally speaking it's real behavior - this can be checked for quite simply - if the behavior changes as the precision used is changed then it's a limitation of the precision used, otherwise it's "real".

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
makc
Strange Attractor

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »

on the other hand, assuming orbits that start outside the set diverge, and those which start inside converge, what is expected behavior of orbits that start exactly on border? I assume these are stable orbits that remain the same over time, and I see a lot of these (at leas visually so, who knows what would happen if I wait few years). this line of thinking doesnt seem to have any room for orbits that initially converge and then suddenly diverge after long period of time... hence I was thinking it's some kind of accumulating error.
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 02:07:10 PM »

on the other hand, assuming orbits that start outside the set diverge, and those which start inside converge, what is expected behavior of orbits that start exactly on border? I assume these are stable orbits that remain the same over time, and I see a lot of these (at leas visually so, who knows what would happen if I wait few years). this line of thinking doesnt seem to have any room for orbits that initially converge and then suddenly diverge after long period of time... hence I was thinking it's some kind of accumulating error.

I've found that points very close to the boundary but actually "outside" to exhibit the behavior you describe - at whatever precision - basically the path to infinity is always an exponential one after the final spiral smiley

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 06:52:44 PM »

a point really exactly on the edge would be -2, as far as I know. It's on the very outest edge of convergence. But it converges just as usual. To 2 smiley
-2 -> 2 -> 2 -> 2
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 07:18:33 PM »

Points on the boundary generally have unstable orbits.  Consider c = -2 and the standard Mandelbrot set.  The exact sequence is 0, -2, 2, 2, 2, etc.  Computers won't have any difficulty with this since all the values are integers, but if that weren't the case and z got tweaked to 2.000001, the orbit would diverge.  Or if z got tweaked to 1.999999, then the orbit would (probably) be chaotic.  Or, c = 0.25; the orbit converges to z = 0.5.  If z is tweaked to something larger, then the orbit would diverge.  Tips of dendrites are unstable Misiurewicz points (like -2 or (0,1)) and points that are the tangent points between two disks have unstable orbits that straddle the boundary between the periodicity of the parent disk and that of the child disk.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2010, 09:10:12 PM »

excuse me, there is no edge cheesy, a point is either inside or outside  police

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2010, 09:23:36 PM »

well, anything "more distant" than the edge of the circle with radius 2 in the origin does diverge for sure.
And -2 sits exactly on that edge.

You could find nearly never escaping points by getting closer and closer to the edge (that can't ever be found exactly, true), by putting one point to |z|=2 and one to |z|=1/4, using the same argument for both and then iterating, until it's sure, wether the points converge or diverge and reweight accordingly.
that way, you'd get to some kind of edge after some time smiley
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2010, 04:15:56 AM »

Points on the boundary generally have unstable orbits.  Consider c = -2 and the standard Mandelbrot set.  The exact sequence is 0, -2, 2, 2, 2, etc.  Computers won't have any difficulty with this since all the values are integers, but if that weren't the case and z got tweaked to 2.000001, the orbit would diverge.  Or if z got tweaked to 1.999999, then the orbit would (probably) be chaotic.  Or, c = 0.25; the orbit converges to z = 0.5.  If z is tweaked to something larger, then the orbit would diverge.  Tips of dendrites are unstable Misiurewicz points (like -2 or (0,1)) and points that are the tangent points between two disks have unstable orbits that straddle the boundary between the periodicity of the parent disk and that of the child disk.

...and the one other case so often forgotten: strange attractors. A point the doesn't map into an unstable orbit (Misiurewicz points) and aren't parabolic (connecting two disks) exhibit even weirder behavior; if memory server, (-0.8,0.2) is one such point.

EDIT: Sorry, that should be (-0.8,0.15). A similar is (-1.2,0.15). Another, "different" kind of strange point is the Grossman-Whatshisname band-merging point. I think one of the banners is actually a picture of it. If you zoom towards the p-3 minibrot, then back towards the p-5 minibrot, then back to the p-7, etc. you'll find they converge (alternating) to one point. It's also not a Misiurwecz point, I think, nor is parabolic. The MSet zoo is infinite, it seems..
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 05:53:44 AM by Timeroot » Logged

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2010, 07:08:53 PM »

excuse me, there is no edge cheesy, a point is either inside or outside  police

It's true that a point is either inside or outside, the inside is composed of two sets, the interior and the boundary.  An interior point is one such that a circle of positive radius can be constructed centered on the interior point such that all of the points inside the circle are inside the set.  A boundary point is one such that any circle centered on the point, no matter how small the radius, will contain both inside and outside points.

Here is a way to find some edge/boundary points:  Let theta be an angle in radians, whose value is a rational number (like 1.5 radians).  Then, r = (1 - cos(theta))/2, x = r cos(theta) + 0.25, and y = r sin(theta).  The point c = x+iy is on the boundary of the main cardioid of the Mandelbrot set, but since theta is not a fraction times 2pi, c is not a tangent point of a disk.
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2010, 07:17:20 PM »

So, both .25 and -2 are boundary points, right?
Both of them do converge but shifting them just a tiny bit away from the center will make them diverge, so any circle around them will have both types of points.

However, those two are most likely the least interesting boundary points smiley - What's about the outer most boundary on the imaginary values, for instance? (However, that was discussed in an other thread, I think...)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: