Logo by Cyclops - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 08:49:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: NetRender - better use of clients  (Read 1465 times)
Description: NetRender - better use of clients
Dave13
Forums Freshman

« on: March 27, 2016, 12:53:12 AM »

Hi All,

First let me say that the NetRender feature is great, it cuts down the render time heaps, so please take the rest of this post as suggestion rather than complaint. I understand this is an opensource project with limited or no funding and resources, done in people spare time.

I could be completely wrong here, but my observation is that the NetRender server seems to farm out the work to the clients that are connected at the time the render button is pressed, once the client finishes it's work it doesn't get any more and just sits idle. Also if the client gets disconnected and reconnects it also does not pick up any more work.

The first part of my suggestion, and probably the easiest to implement is to break the rendering up into a group of small jobs, (this may already be the case, is this what the "lines" are?) and make the server the keeper of the state of the jobs in the queue, a client can then request some jobs from the queue to work on, maybe 1-10 lines/blocks per CPU on the client, when the client finished working on the jobs it has, it can submit them back as complete and request some more lines/blocks to work on. In this scenario the server would also be a client of itself, but it would only request based on #CPU-1 where there are more than 1 CPU or 1-5 lines/blocks where there is only 1 CPU. also the server component should remain as a higher priority than the client component on the server.

Structuring it like this will do a few things:
 - Clients that get disconnected can reconnect and resume working on the render
 - Allow you to add extra clients mid way through a render to speed things up
 - Faster clients can take a larger share of the work load

To make this work smoothly you will probably need some rules like:
 - If a client disconnects / reconnects then the server should mark all jobs not complete previously handed to that client as though they were never started
 - when all jobs have been handed out and a client requests more jobs then the jobs that have been in the processing state (handed out to a client but not yet completed) the longest get handed out again to the new requesting client as well to work on as well, if they were handed out longer than a time out period (n Seconds? or calculated as something like 2x average processing time for that client?). The server will also need to handle the scenario if both (all) clients return the results for that line/block

Now for the second part of my suggestion, instead of breaking up the work into lines, break it up into areas (blocks for want of a better name) based on which rendering features are required to render that block, this way when a client request jobs it can tell the server which rendering features  (and versions of the features) it can render.

How this could potentially help:
 - Initially this may help in providing compatibility for NetRender between multiple versions, older clients may not have all the latest greatest rendering features, but it can still do some, potentially a lot of  the work, the server can prioritise the blocks that require newer features to the newer clients and let the older clients take the other work.
 - some rendering features may be better suited to specific CPU architectures, eg some may perform better on X86/x64 cpu's and some might perform better on ARM CPU's, like wise some might perform better with intel / ATI / nvidia / other graphics acceleration. potentially future in versions clients could detect which types of blocks it will be faster at processing and tell the server which types to prioritise giving the client.

All this is just suggestions, take what you can out of this, I would be happy to hear what if any you end up using.   

Thanks for a great application,

Dave.
zebastian
Conqueror

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 08:24:20 AM »

* reconnect while rendering
>> if the client gets disconnected and reconnects it also does not pick up any more work.
You are right, this is a known issue and has not been solved yet:
https://github.com/buddhi1980/mandelbulber2/blob/master/mandelbulber2/src/netrender.hpp#L35
I filed an issue on github for this:
https://github.com/buddhi1980/mandelbulber2/issues/90

* line based jobs
>>... is this what the "lines" are?
Yes, it is. The jobs are split into horizontal lines and handed out on a per-thread-base of the whole server-client setup.
>>- Clients that get disconnected can reconnect and resume working on the render
>>- Allow you to add extra clients mid way through a render to speed things up
this should be possible, however we had some timing issues and implementation-specific issues with that as we tried it.
we will fix this eventually.
>> - Faster clients can take a larger share of the work load
this is already the case

* block rendering [small x-y regions e.g. 16x16 pixel]
>> - Initially this may help in providing compatibility for NetRender between multiple versions, older clients may not have all the latest greatest rendering features, but it can still do some, potentially a lot of  the work, the server can prioritise the blocks that require newer features to the newer clients and let the older clients take the other work.
>> - some rendering features may be better suited to specific CPU architectures, eg some may perform better on X86/x64 cpu's and some might perform better on ARM CPU's, like wise some might perform better with intel / ATI / nvidia / other graphics acceleration. potentially future in versions clients could detect which types of blocks it will be faster at processing and tell the server which types to prioritise giving the client.
IMHO: holy mother of god!
in general this could be interesting to make, blender works something like this.
But making the render region based will make it more complicated (at least will require a lot of rewriting).
Detecting the type of cpu / gpu client and intelligently distributing the region jobs will be a lot of work and i think probably not worth the effort.
The greatest part of time consuming operations is simply the floating point arithmetic:
When a client is slow in rendering a mandelbulb it will also be slow in rendering the quaternion. No gain to separate here.
Another problem is how to pre-evaluate the regions to detect which resources are needed, whats the fastest client for this (if any).
This is only what i think, other opinions most welcome.

Thanks for your input.  afro

Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 08:46:51 PM »

I could be completely wrong here, but my observation is that the NetRender server seems to farm out the work to the clients that are connected at the time the render button is pressed, once the client finishes it's work it doesn't get any more and just sits idle. Also if the client gets disconnected and reconnects it also does not pick up any more work.

The first part of my suggestion, and probably the easiest to implement is to break the rendering up into a group of small jobs, (this may already be the case, is this what the "lines" are?) and make the server the keeper of the state of the jobs in the queue, a client can then request some jobs from the queue to work on, maybe 1-10 lines/blocks per CPU on the client, when the client finished working on the jobs it has, it can submit them back as complete and request some more lines/blocks to work on. In this scenario the server would also be a client of itself, but it would only request based on #CPU-1 where there are more than 1 CPU or 1-5 lines/blocks where there is only 1 CPU. also the server component should remain as a higher priority than the client component on the server.

You are right, that NetRender doesn't reconnect if connection is lost or when client is started during already started rendering. This is actually under implementation. But rest of your statement is not true. Every client and server use the same scheduler for rendering. Every CPU core (separate thread) start from given line of image (starting line is distributed to all clients) and render line by line until finish own unrendered region. Then looks for the biggest unrendered region and start from middle of them. It's is done without any influence from server. Every thread independently decides what should be rendered. In this way clients doesn't need to wait for any orders from server (no idle state) - they just continue rendering until something is to do. Synchronization between server and clients is done by periodic sending to all clients list of already rendered lines. Based in this data rendering threads on clients side know what is still to do and what take to render if region is finished. When rendering of line of image is finished then image data is sent to server.
If any computer in network is faster than another,  then it will just render more lines. So utilization of all clients and server is 100% and there is no overlapping of jobs.
I think it doesn't matter if jobs are divided to lines or blocks. The most important is synchronization and optimized utilization of all resources.

- Initially this may help in providing compatibility for NetRender between multiple versions, older clients may not have all the latest greatest rendering features, but it can still do some, potentially a lot of  the work, the server can prioritise the blocks that require newer features to the newer clients and let the older clients take the other work.
 - some rendering features may be better suited to specific CPU architectures, eg some may perform better on X86/x64 cpu's and some might perform better on ARM CPU's, like wise some might perform better with intel / ATI / nvidia / other graphics acceleration. potentially future in versions clients could detect which types of blocks it will be faster at processing and tell the server which types to prioritise giving the client.

I'm not going to provide compatibility between different versions of application (expect minor difference between version number - bugfixes). The program is still in beta phase, so rendering results are a little different between versions. If any client will give different results then you will see on image e.g. interlaced brighter or darker regions or some shifts of colors.
You wrote about optimizing between different architectures. It would be very complicated and actually it's not applicable in actual rendering engine. Every thread render each pixel of image from the beginning to the end. So the job for pixel cannot be divided between CPUs. By the way I don't know any program which work like you described.

Dave13
Forums Freshman

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 11:48:58 PM »

Every client and server use the same scheduler for rendering. Every CPU core (separate thread) start from given line of image (starting line is distributed to all clients) and render line by line until finish own unrendered region. Then looks for the biggest unrendered region and start from middle of them. It's is done without any influence from server. Every thread independently decides what should be rendered. In this way clients doesn't need to wait for any orders from server (no idle state) - they just continue rendering until something is to do. Synchronization between server and clients is done by periodic sending to all clients list of already rendered lines. Based in this data rendering threads on clients side know what is still to do and what take to render if region is finished. When rendering of line of image is finished then image data is sent to server.

This is interesting, thanks. I was just guessing how it might work based on observation, I see all machines working furiously at the beginning, but by 1/3 - 1/2 way through the render the fastest machine stops, and by 2/3 through the render all machines have stopped except the server.

Perhaps the Synchronization is not working as intended? or perhaps there is issues with my setup, I have constraints such as wifi network, so perhaps my clients are getting disconnected more than I realise? is there anyway I can find out?

I think it doesn't matter if jobs are divided to lines or blocks. The most important is synchronization and optimized utilization of all resources.

I agree synchronization and optimized utilization are the most important things, I only suggested blocks to provide a different way of looking at things if it could help to improve rendering, if it doesn't then i see no reason to change what is already working.

Thanks for considering my suggestions smiley

Dave.
Buddhi
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 11:14:04 PM »

Perhaps the Synchronization is not working as intended? or perhaps there is issues with my setup, I have constraints such as wifi network, so perhaps my clients are getting disconnected more than I realise? is there anyway I can find out?

If you use wi-fi, this could be the reason. Wi-fi is quite slow network (it's only about 3-5MB/s), so this could be bottleneck. If you render image which is fast to render, then there is transferred a lot of data. For 4k image it need to transfer about 150MB of raw data. NetRender will perform much better if you use it for rendering images which are slow to render (with many effects or complicated fractal formulas). Then data rate will be much lower (will be more computing than data exchanging)
It's preferred to use 1Gbit network for render farms (or at least 100Mbit cable connection).

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 02:24:55 AM »

@ buddhi. Good explanation and advise, maybe it could be included in as "information" for NetRendering
Dave13
Forums Freshman

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2016, 03:21:01 PM »

Thanks, That is useful info, either way, NetRendering "as is" is still faster than without NetRendering.  grin
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: