Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 09:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: a map I made of the Mandelbrot Set  (Read 11246 times)
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2016, 08:50:46 PM »

@BillTavis, is there any chance you could provide us with some of the text in the image? I really want to read some of the texts you wrote. It looks really informative...
Ok here's a teaser

* infiniteSeaMonster.jpg (96.15 KB, 900x675 - viewed 109 times.)
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2016, 12:26:47 AM »

Thanks everyone! I really didn't know what to expect when I launched this thing and I am blown away by the response :w00t:I don't have any stretch goals yet, but it's a good idea - I am currently looking into what that entails and researching some optionsAbsolutely! The Kickstarter is just to get this thing up and running - after that I plan to make the poster available indefinitely. My ideal goal for the distant future is to land a deal with a big-time poster distributor that can get this into poster stores everywhere. I can dream, right? But until then I will be selling them myself through my website...... And if I win the lottery it will be free posters for everyone! But don't hold your breath because I never buy lotto tickets  evil

Agreed. Lotto tickets are a sham. Payout is always less than the buy in, especially after taxes. Besides, you wouldn't spend our kickstarter monies on lotto tickets, would you???

Here's a fun idea for a game of luck... Mandelbrot dart boards. Throw darts at the board. If your dart hits a point within the set, payout is equal to the period of said mini or bulb. Hitting the main cartoid (period 1) will only earn you a free play. Determining whether or not the exact location of your dart is actually inside the set would be rather difficult with crude Earthbound measurement tools.

Just know that your chances of winning a Powerball jackpot are actually better than earning a truly high payout by striking within a deep zoomed mini!  evil

Ok here's a teaser

Wow
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 01:05:29 AM by stardust4ever » Logged
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »

Mandelmap project featured on blog:
http://geekdad.com/2016/04/mandelmap-poster/
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2016, 02:10:04 PM »

9699690 iterations   afro
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2016, 04:23:22 AM »

9699690 iterations   afro
People seem to think that's a lot, but it really only comes close to scraping the surface of the infinite complexity of the set.
Smiling Mandelbrot

@Bill Tavis: Also nice to see you uploaded a decent sized preview in the OP for us fractal geeks to drool over. I hope you don't mind if I save the 1600x1067 pixel version as wallpaper for my 1600x1200 desktop. afro
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 04:35:17 AM by stardust4ever » Logged
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2016, 06:23:08 AM »

tavis, how is your experience with cimg, do you like it?  im using magick++, and while you can certainly do a lot with it, the performance can leave plenty to be desired.  for instance image scaling seems to not be multithreaded and im pretty sure there is no vector code anywhere to be found in imagemagick, and when you do lots of supersampling such abysmal scaling performance is just the worst.  so im on the lookout for a great c++ image library.  it seems to be a hard thing to come by though.  multithreaded And vectorized, a nice c++ api, and plenty of functionality...it seems near impossible to get all these things in one package.  the one candidate that might fit all those things that i have found is vips, which i intend to give a try sometime.  when i was looking at cimg, it sounds like it might be okay, but its hard to tell from its webpage which doesnt give you much to go on.
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2016, 06:58:53 AM »

IDK but Gimp (64-bit) only utilizes 13% of my CPU (8 core AMD Bulldozer), meaning it's single threaded. Saving a half-gigapixel fractal image as lossless PNG (typically I use 23040x23040 square or 30720x17280 widescreen ratio @530Mp, or a slightly smaller 25600x19200 4:3 ratio @491Mp) with maximum compression takes forever for the progress bar to finish, so I feel your pain. Having access to 16 gigabytes of 1867Mhz dual channel memory on your system definitely helps though for manipulation of huge images with multiple windows open.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:08:24 AM by stardust4ever » Logged
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »

9699690 iterations
The product of all the prime numbers less than 20.  wink Um... I don't think there was any real reason to do that I just like playing with numbers sometimes.
@Bill Tavis: Also nice to see you uploaded a decent sized preview in the OP for us fractal geeks to drool over. I hope you don't mind if I save the 1600x1067 pixel version as wallpaper for my 1600x1200 desktop.
Yeah no problem, I'm glad you want to have it as your wallpaper! I gave the Geekdad author the same version, theirs is probably easier to grab because it doesn't have all that photobucket weirdness
http://geekdad.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Mandelmap_Share.jpg
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2016, 06:49:04 PM »

tavis, how is your experience with cimg, do you like it?
I love it! But you have to keep in mind that most of my programming is self-taught and I only know so much. I don't know how to write multi-threaded or vectorized code, so I can't tell you if CImg is good in those areas. CImg was the first external library I ever tried after I did my first "Hello World" and it was so incredibly easy to use. All I had to do was drop a single header file into my project folder and include it. Done. And the code you write with it is super compact and easy to read through. After later using libraries like CGAL (amazing in it's own right), I appreciated these things even more.
As for performance, I think it is fast enough. I resize images all the time and it never seems unnecessarily long, and there is not only bicubic sampling but also other filters like Lanczos. There are probably libraries out there that more speed could be squeezed out of, but I use it for the ease of coding and the extensive functionality. I am always more for image quality over speed, and the library has always delivered in that aspect.
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2016, 08:05:02 PM »

I also want to just thank everybody here that has shared and pledged already, it's really amazing how well it's doing! thank you post swing It's doing so well, that I added a stretch goal to get the larger size printed with offset lithography as well!
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2016, 02:22:07 AM »

Congrats!  A Beer Cup with 25 days left I think the stretch goal is not a stretch at all  wink

1. will these large ones, for those who have jumped on it right away, be signed and numbered too?
2. if the goal is not met can I opt back to my original pledge?
   (the reason is that I don't really want a digital print and would prefer the smaller offset version over the larger digital version.)

...and thank you for making this available. Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
billtavis
Safarist

« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2016, 03:00:50 AM »

Thanks!
1. The early bird posters will be signed and numbered, the rest will not.
2. The way I understand it, Kickstarter does not collect any money until the funding period ends. So until that time, you are free to change
your pledge up or down as much as you want. But like you said, it's looking really likely at this point that the stretch goal will be met!
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2016, 04:19:52 AM »

The product of all the prime numbers less than 20.  wink Um... I don't think there was any real reason to do that I just like playing with numbers sometimes.
Hehehe, it works! I knew I'd seen that number somewhere before...
Code:
2 * 3 * 5 * 7 * 11 * 13 * 17 * 19 = 9699690
Quite a beautifully symmetrical number when expressed as Arabic numerals I might add.

Yeah no problem, I'm glad you want to have it as your wallpaper! I gave the Geekdad author the same version, theirs is probably easier to grab because it doesn't have all that photobucket weirdness
http://geekdad.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Mandelmap_Share.jpg
That 1600 pixel resolution is just right at the cusp of being able to guess what is written. I managed to decipher a couple of the text boxes before my eyes started getting fatigued.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 04:59:01 AM by stardust4ever » Logged
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2016, 02:52:26 AM »

So... exceeded the stretch goal on kickstart with 4 days left  A Beer Cup

Q: the ship to address will be the one attached to my credit card, yes?

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
stardust4ever
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2016, 03:05:21 AM »

So... exceeded the stretch goal on kickstart with 4 days left  A Beer Cup

Q: the ship to address will be the one attached to my credit card, yes?
They send out a survey sometime after the campaign is over where you fill out shipping details, Tshirt size, color, gaming platform, or whatever option is applicable to the item you will be receiving as a backer.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: