Logo by lycium - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 07:22:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Evolution as a fractal  (Read 1085 times)
Alef
Fractal Supremo

« on: February 25, 2016, 06:55:13 PM »

Evolution could be like iterative process of fractals with the most complex of complexity. Each new generation could be like new wave of iterates interacting with suroundings and species, thus the formula. Then the iterated produce new iterates who goes throught the same but slightly different formula influenced alsou by positions of previous iterates. These iterations would be mostly convergent with just fluctuations at the local level and not mutch changeing the larger picture in all the dimensions exept small gradual drift in one or another direction. But then from time to time these local fluctuations diverge and eventualy create a new strange atractors.
This is just my madness from watching movies about science;)

fractal catalisator
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 09:46:12 AM »

in my opinion there is nothing more fractal than the tree of life. self similar families of species all branching out in endless variety.
of course it doesn't match with the  purely mathematical definitition for fractals, no infinity here, but I couldn't care less.

the most fascinating thing about this I find is the connection with moores law and technology being "the evolution of evolution"

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 11:40:50 PM »

Well, there are many animals and plants which are fractal in some way. Ferns, trees in general, also body parts like lungs or feathers. Of course this is involved in evolution somehow...

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 11:53:00 PM »

chilli, that is perfectly fractal branching off cats and dogs into sub cats and dogs (leopards, jaguars, hous cats - wolfes, dogs, hyanes )

lol but i wonder where the flat out after democracy invention comes from smiley adaption to surroundings/new circumstances ...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
gyphia
Forums Newbie

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 04:47:11 PM »

I think its the same with musical evolution..genres etc..it seem to follow a fractal structure and is much the same principle as animal evolution. 
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 08:19:28 PM »

@ max, the point is not that there are fractal patterns in animals and plants but in the tree of life itself.
every generation is one iteration, extremely self similar within species with each species being a different branch, and one common stem.
to me the tree of life is not just a visualisation. it's an actual picture of the fractal'ness' of evolution.

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Max Sinister
Conqueror

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 08:51:19 PM »

Well, both applies, I'd say. Of course, species may split, but how often did it happen that two species merge into one? The tree is the natural shape for evolution.

Tglad
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 04:16:25 AM »

There is also a fractal sponge (lattice) here... two people come together and have several children. People commonly couple up with partners who are close (geographically or culturally) and less frequently couple with partners who are more distant. So the linking (coupling) and forking (children) probably follows a power law.
At some amount of distance the linking stops happening (roughly when the people/animals are separate species), then the process becomes more like a tree on the large scales. In my shape classifier https://sites.google.com/site/simplextable/ I call this a Sponge Tree so its a bit like where upwards is time  tongue stuck out
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: