Logo by Tglad - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 07:35:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: AMD/NVIDIA Crossfire/SLI within Fragmentarium?  (Read 3014 times)
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« on: February 06, 2016, 07:42:39 PM »

It seems I can buy a new computer... And since fragmentarium wants to kill my old one (from 2012 with a somewhat sad AMD Radeon 6450 gpu) every time or it gives only big black fuzzy dots where others get a nice pseudokleinian-tweak, I thought I'd better make sure I choose a configuration for the new one that will work well with it.
One of the questions I have is if I should get for instance a geforce 980 ti, or two cheaper nvidia cards in a dual setup? Or do I need to become a programmer to make the latter configuration work? :} Should I get an AMD gpu (do not really dare too after the disappointing experiences with my current one), or nvidia? Do I need to look for other things as well (next to good multi-core processor (i7-range?), 16GB ddr3 ram (or should try and I get ddr4 (if I can afford it, that is)))?

I would greatly appreciate any help with this! smiley
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:50:22 PM by sabine62 » Logged

sabine62.deviantart.com
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 08:59:47 PM »

Hi,

The ram type/size shouldn't make any difference, as long as you have enough to comfortably run the OS it should be fine.

I am using a single nVidia geforce 760 on my development box (xeon 4 core cpu) and a geforce 650ti to compile and test on a win 7/8 box (Core2 DUO cpu).
I do not have a crossfire setup so I have no info on operation with that configuration, others have had problems with Radeon but not sure of the details as I don't use Radeon, ATI, AMD, only nVidia.

If you go for the best single card you can afford (980) you can always add a second one later, if you get 2 cheaper cards upgrading later is a little more painful,

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 09:56:18 PM »

@3dickulus Thank you very much!
Since I had/have no idea of the strain of Fragmentarium on the hardware it's good to know that ramtype/size is not that important for running it.
Reading your answer I lean even more to nvidea  grin

sabine62.deviantart.com
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »

I was trying to Run frag on dual R9208x (check some of my threads earlier). No way to get both cards running at the same time with Frag (neither with or w/out SLI).
Also, I strongly discourage AMD to the favor of Nvidia. I have a feeling their drivers are just substandard and very buggy. I had so many problems with AMD in the past and it never happened to me with NV.

Get 980TI. I got TitanX, but 980 is way cheaper and comparable FP operations performance.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »

@Patryk Kizny

Thank you very much, Patryk, this is very much the info I was looking for! I was already very much wondering if it would be at all possible to use a dual gpu setup fro fragmentarium. I'll go for the 980ti then, I hear only good things about the card while costing only half of the (of course even better) titan.
Thanks again smiley

sabine62.deviantart.com
lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 02:33:28 PM »

Quick 2c from me: right now is an especially bad time to buy a GPU, since we have had the same 28nm manufacturing for around 5 years (!!!), and the next generation is finally around the corner.

If you do buy a GPU right now, I'd recommend a very inexpensive (and still very awesome) GeForce GTX 750 Ti - I think this is what 3dickulus meant with "650ti" since that GPU doesn't exist. On that note, I have two hardly-used ones lying here in Berlin, if you'd like to buy one that could be convenient for us both?

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 07:47:04 PM »

@lycium http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-650ti
              http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-760

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

lycium
Fractal Supremo

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »

I stand corrected, seem to have missed the reviews of the 650 Ti... sorry smiley

Edit: yep, definitely missed this review: http://techreport.com/review/23690/review-nvidia-geforce-gtx-650-ti-graphics-card

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2016, 07:57:40 PM »

a good idea to research the details , I recall there was a reason I opted for the 760 (no ti) over the 750ti, something about chip internals or board construction, I don't remember exactly, but still...

edit: check the benchmarks http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-760-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti pretty good for $250 CDN
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 02:40:01 AM by 3dickulus » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 11:06:01 PM »

Thank you for your input, @3dickulus and @lycium, much appreciated! smiley
I know that technology-wise I should wait another year (or two maybe, to let price levels settle a bit again). That would be the wise thing to do Yes !! The nvidia Pascal will probably make a tremendous difference to what we've got at this moment. But that is probably what the price will do too wink
Basically I really don't need that much: An ok computer with a good cpu, enough ram and a nice gpu that can handle fragmentarium.
The thing is also: I am terribly Terribly impatient, I have been waiting for a chance to build a new computer for 3 or 4 years now, I'm really not ready to wait two more grin
Agree on reading reviews/benchmarks/specs, still got more of that to do...
Thanks again! smiley

sabine62.deviantart.com
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 02:43:33 AM »

make sure you have a good power supply 500W min with a single card, 750W min for dual cards, good cooling is also essential wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 03:50:32 PM »

Looking at benchmarks 980 & titan X would be about 2.5x faster at general FP computing then 760.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 11:11:44 PM »

After I've read reviews, checked prices, viewed benchmark reports, I decided I will settle on a gtx 980 ti. Which one I am not sure yet. And yes, extra cooling and a decent power supply will get there also smiley I very much appreciate all comments, thank you all very much!

sabine62.deviantart.com
ellarien
Conqueror

I like flowers

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 12:03:44 AM »

Enjoy! I could only stretch my budget to the 750 -- it does the job, but the high-quality renders take a while and it crashed a lot until I learned to use a half-sized window for rendering.

Sabine
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 12:08:15 AM »

Thank you, Ellarien! I am at the moment using a render-window of 400x300 pixels. Max... Often 200x150... And still real-time updating is soooo sloooow and my computer gets heart-attack after heart-attack. I am pretty sure, Fragmentarium has set out to kill it grin

sabine62.deviantart.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: