Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 03:35:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Gigapixel Woes  (Read 1606 times)
Description: Big render tiles save solid black for total resolutions approaching 1,000mp
Shikijiyu
Forums Newbie

« on: February 03, 2016, 02:25:06 AM »

Hi.  I'm new.  I barely know what I'm doing.  But I'm having a really great time.   cheesy

So I have this cliché box-box-foldintpow thing going.  And I'm just crazy pleased with it all.  Really want to make a stupid huge image to print.

The aspect ratio is 2:3, and I want a 30"x45" print at 300dpi.  So 9000x13,500.  I figure I'll let the Big render utility handle the aa upscaling, but I'll do the downscaling myself in 'Shop, because I gotta assemble it anyway (and maybe color correct it before downscaling or whatever).

Only thing is, no matter how I split up the tiling, from as low as 30 or so tiles to as high as 100, on either my pc or my mac, I can't get the tiles to save correctly.

...they render just fine.  Look perfect in the render view.  Like super mcultra happy about that.  But the png that's written is black.  So is the bmp.  Or jpg.

Z buffer totally comes through, though (if I have it toggled to save).  No problems there.  Which is weird.

So here's the kicker:  It only seems to happen if the TOTAL dimensions are close to a gigapixel in size.  Like 27000x40500 (aa 3x) won't save no matter how I split up the tiling.  And If I turn the total size down to 25800x38700 (998mp) it still won't save.

BUT, if I turn it to 25700x38550?  Now only 990 megapixels?  Then the images are written correctly (same color I see on the screen instead of just solid black) and the whole thing renders fine.

Um. Yea.  Anyway, I saw the other posts where people have done 1gp+ renders.  So I didn't know if this should go in the bug section or if I'm just missing something really obvious and stupid.  Please advise.

Thanks.  smiley
Shikijiyu
Forums Newbie

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:46:31 AM »

Sooo...  I'm not positive, but I think it has to do with the Ambient Shadows?  They seem to stop working correctly at that size.

The SSAO options all give me this error:

Could not build wavelet levels,
no ambient shadow calced.
Error in ambient shadow
calculation. Stopped.

And the DEAO is solid black.  Which I guess is probably why all my renders are solid black.

Does anyone know how to avoid this?
Shikijiyu
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:20:54 AM »

So... it's totally the ambient shadows.  At least I'm pretty sure.  Mostly.

I tested it on a blank scene with a generic intgpow and I still got the black occlusion output at near gigapixel res with the big render.

But when turned down to 990 megapixels it starts working again.  Only thing I changed was the total size.
1Bryan1
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 06:41:36 AM »

I have not done a Big Render and wondered what that was ... this post implies someone did a 3GB http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-3d/big-render/ ?

Find 340+ more of my fractal art at http://1bryan1.deviantart.com/gallery/
surrealista1
Navigator

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 04:46:39 AM »

try canceling the ambient shadows and render one square of your big image. Look if it is better
Shikijiyu
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 01:26:17 AM »

Oh.  For sure.  It's definitely a function of the ambient shadows at a size greater than ~995mp.

You can easily test it with any scene, any formulas:

- Set the resolution to 25800x38700.  Render the ambient shadow pass.  Turns the geo black.

- Set the resolution to 25700x38550.  Render the ambient shadow pass.  Occlusion renders fine.
surrealista1
Navigator

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 06:16:51 AM »

i tested in that size and it is black, if you increase the light intensity it change you can see some details, maybe you can play a liitle with it. Are you sure you need a so big imagen?, I use to make some big images, The bigger is 15000 x 11000 pixeles and it does not had that problem, and i can do a very big image of about the wide of the printer(1 m), the owner of the printer said it is more than enough to make a high quality printing.

I use only 7 rays y decreased to 0.1 MaxL on DEAO ambient shadow
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 06:37:29 AM by surrealista1, Reason: i want to add something i forget to write » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: