Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 24, 2024, 01:05:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Easier to convert to .obj  (Read 3285 times)
cyseal
Explorer

« on: December 06, 2015, 09:44:18 PM »

I tried to make and 3d object in Blender but I failed with voxel data technique.
Is it possible to make .obj without using other older software?
Could you implement some technique to make it easier using only Meshlab or Blender?
Thanks
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 10:01:33 PM »

I tried to make and 3d object in Blender but I failed with voxel data technique.
Is it possible to make .obj without using other older software?
Could you implement some technique to make it easier using only Meshlab or Blender?
Thanks

Hi cyseal.

Have you tried FIJI?  Blender is a great program, but notoriously difficult to use.

You can also convert MB3D's Voxel Stacks to obj files using JWildfire's Mesh Generation feature.  They both take some getting used to, and practice, but results are worth it!

This bulb was created in FIJI from MB3D's voxels and rendered in Cararra:

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 11:48:54 PM »

What exactly was your problem? What step was too complicated?
cyseal
Explorer

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 05:53:15 AM »

What exactly was your problem? What step was too complicated?

@Sockratease , @thargor6 Fiji has stopped working in the middle of the process. I tried it again over a day with small sample and nothing.
Is it possible to update algorithm Fiji uses and implement it in MB3D?
So, I'm looking a way to overstep the use of Fiji.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 11:00:20 AM by cyseal » Logged
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 11:39:40 AM »

@Sockratease , @thargor6 Fiji has stopped working in the middle of the process. I tried it again over a day with small sample and nothing.

FIJI often gives the illusion it has stopped working, but is in reality still doing things in the background.

Often you have to just wait a while for it to finish writing the file.  Have you gone back and checked again on any files that may have given the appearance of failing?  

Have a read through the Voxel Image Stack And Then What? thread for other people confirming this  (sorry, a lot of the images I posted in there are lost from an old problem on the site I was hosting them).  There are several options in there for the process.  The thread is here : http://www.fractalforums.com/tutorials/voxel-image-stack-and-then-what/

Be aware that these will be HUGE files - often over 1 GB each  (which is where MeshLab comes in for decimation) - so the extra lag time and appearance of freezing up are understandable.

Good luck with it!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 11:49:58 AM »

Fiji has stopped working in the middle of the process. I tried it again over a day with small sample and nothing.
You should use for this step JWildfire instead, the results are almost the same, but it is much faster (because of multithreading) and gives more feedback, and you get a simple preview of the generated object
Snicker02
Alien

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 06:03:52 PM »

As thargor6 said JWildfire works way better than fiji for working with voxel stacks ...... I have done a tutorial on how to do this located here-- youtu.be/HP_zCyuMEao
cyseal
Explorer

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 09:22:39 PM »

Thank you thargor,Snicker02  and Sockratease !

When importing voxel data and generating mesh in JW, is 4GB ram enough?
JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 09:41:30 PM »

there is a blender plugin
https://github.com/NMEMine/BlenderFractals

it is 2 years old and it dose run on the current blender 2.76
do to the calculations and mesh HUGE size this script takes a LONG time to run -- single threaded

Blender is a great program, but notoriously difficult to use.
no harder than 3D Max or using Renderman

it just takes time to learn
just like  The Gimp or Photoshop

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
visual.bermarte
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »

In the past I have used Clemency to create 3D meshes.
http://www.fractalforums.com/3d-fractal-generation/opencl-marching-cubes-source-code-release/?PHPSESSID=f402997676de433ed96c55dd5158fa69

http://bit.ly/1YYuFv1
http://bit.ly/1REmKRs
cyseal
Explorer

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 08:07:28 PM »

In the past I have used Clemency to create 3D meshes.

I need to start it within cmd?
How to set a path to voxel data?

Is it possible to implement whole MB3D as Blender plugin or renderer within Cycles or Internal ?
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2015, 12:06:16 AM »

How to set a path to voxel data?
As far as I understood the post (had no time to test the program yet) it not generates a mesh from a stack of voxels, but by evaluating an opencl-fragment which you have to create/adopt. Because it has this way some kind of the "formula", it may be much more clever than the standard MC algorithm which just works on a fixed grid size.
At least the Mandelbulb as shape is supplied as example (mandelbulb.cl), you may start having a look at this.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: