Logo by Trifox - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 01:49:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Molecular fractals  (Read 16511 times)
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2016, 12:04:29 PM »

Nice one!   A Beer Cup 

And the second one looks like a boardgame   (ganzenborden wink) funny!

Haha, great one, I didn't see it that way.

I found another article:

http://www.nature.com/nchem/journal/v7/n5/full/nchem.2211.html#compounds

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Chris Thomasson
Conqueror

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 09:18:51 PM »

[...]

http://superliminal.com/pfractal.htm

Here, have a look. An amazing representation of the periodic table.

This is really nice. I see the field and equipotential lines where each "cell" has an element.

Thank you for posting this.    smiley
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 10:15:21 PM »

No problem, I am a starting chemist so I like to relate chemistry to fractals because I find both fields interesting. smiley

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 03:19:29 PM »

I just finished my first article for Fractalogy A Beer Cup! I will submit it there as something that might be a good base.

I'll share it here as well since it is related:

Carbon:

General information:

Carbon is one of the most abundant elements on planet earth. It can be found on the middle-right side of the periodic table. It has four electrons in its outer valence shell. This makes it a neutral atom, it can either gain or lose a total of four electrons. This makes it the perfect atom to form large chains and structures which are fractal-like.

Carbon in biology:

Carbon likes to bond to other carbon atoms and hydrogen atoms in most cases with covalent bonds. Molecules that consist out of carbon and hydrogen molecules are called ‘’hydrocarbons’’. Chains, rings and other shapes can be created this way. In biology they can be found everywhere and have different purposes. They can interlock with others to create even larger structures. An example is could be amino-acids: they consist of an amine group added to a carboxylic-acid group, this combination can have another group added to it. There are only twenty-one different amino-acids but they can combine with other amino-acids to create protein-chains which make parts of cells such as the general structure but also DNA. These cells have their own way to combine with other to create tissue and eventually muscles and organs. The exact shapes of these depend on the organisms they are part of.

Organic chemistry:

Hydrocarbons are not just useful in biology but they are essential for a particular part of chemistry which focusses on these. In organic chemistry hydrocarbons are used as a framework for a large number of compounds. Since the carbon atoms are connected it is easier to transfer electrons (and thus positive and negative charges), this make them a perfect framework. Functional groups and atoms can be attached to these frameworks to make molecules that can be used in a number of different ways. Fuels, medicines and new materials can all be created this way.

Polymers:

Polymers are found in both biology and organic chemistry. They are chains of individual pieces (monomers) that have been connected with others. It starts with either a positive or a negative end, a neutral molecule gets grabbed by it and the charge gets transferred to the side of the neutral molecule. This continues until a molecule with opposite charge. Polyethylene is probably the best known polymers which consist out of ethylene molecules. These polymers can contain variation in their monomers which make them interlock with other polymers. Plastics, fuels and biological structures can be created this way. These can have a multitude of uses, from strong barriers in organisms to plastics and electrically conductive components.

Diamond and silicon carbide (carbon crystals):

Carbon can also form crystals like diamond, silicon carbide and a number of others. Diamonds have naturally been created under immense heat and pressure. The carbon atoms in the crystal are neatly arranged in a grid/lattice (if you ignore impurities). This makes them very strong. Silicon carbide has both carbon and silicon atoms. Because silicon is in the same group as carbon it behaves similarly and will be able to form crystals in the same way, this also requires a lot of heat and pressure. Now, there are always impurities in these crystals. This causes the crystals to grow in ways which causes them to ‘’grow’’ in different directions. Slightly more chaotic fractal-like structures get created this way. Carbon crystals in general are very useful. In chemistry activated coal is used to extract molecules out of solutions. This is made possible by the large surface area which has been created by the fractal structure of the crystal. It is for example possible to remove the colour from red wine by adding activated carbon to it and them filtering it out. The molecules the cause the colour will have gotten stuck in the small holes in the crystal of the activated carbon. These crystals are also very dark, this is because the photons that hit the crystal get bounced around so many times in the structure that it loses a large amount of energy and will not be able to emit visible light. Almost all energy gets transferred into the carbon atoms which causes them to vibrate a bit more which heats up the crystal. Eventually, over a period of about a thousand to a million years crystals like these will change and become more chaotic because of entropy. If you leave a diamond long enough it will convert back into coal which will in turn start to react with hydrogen and oxygen in the air.

How is this a fractal?

Most of these things on their own might not look like fractals. But the fact that they all are related to carbon and connect in different ways on so many different scales makes this a perfect example. You start off with some very simple atoms, they form molecules which are part of polymers and other molecular structures like tissues of organisms. These organisms form populations of different species which roam our planet. 

youhn
Fractal Molossus

Shapes only exists in our heads.

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 10:51:06 PM »

While I really like physics, computers and some bits of math, the subject of chemistry never drawn my attention. Until I started an engineering job in the industrial sealing business, where I was confronted with lots of chemical compatibility questions. So the last few years I started to pick up some pieces of chemistry. Elastomer and polymer material designer are nowadays more looking at nano scale stuff. For example graphite. Take a single layer of graphite and you end up with grahene. If you could roll that sheet up and glue the atoms of each side together, you end up with a carbon nanotube or CNT for short. We can do this in some various ways, but it still feels a bit silly to me (compared what nature can do with organic chemistry). While carbon, graphite, graphene, CNTs and life generally consists of mainly chains of C atoms, it could all be possible with another material. MoS2 nanosheet already exists. We know the phrase "silicon based life".

I think we really need to figure out how to "grow" stuff from really small cores. Steal the idea from life&evolution and speed it up. For example, you want to build a home? Just put all the ingredients together and add the synthetic-dna machines. Easier said than done, for this we might need to reverse engineer the evolution back from DNA to RNA to ... ?

Anyway, drifting a bit off topic. Those fractal atomic images are wonderful, the subject really sparked some thoughts.
PieMan597
Conqueror

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 11:59:25 PM »

Yeah, I'm studying chemistry right now, and it is rather complex.

Youhn, your "growing from small cores" seems a lot to me like Conway's Game of Life, it would be great if that someday became a thing, "real life" Conway's Game of Life making fractals and life.
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 12:12:03 AM »

Use this for cross referencing chemical compatibility (if you want a quick easy reference to use):

https://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/

There is also a software suite that you can download instead of accessing the database online. 

TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 09:05:28 AM »

I found another small article, not completely related but it's worth metioning it here:

http://chemweb.unl.edu/rajca/highspin.html

hgjf2
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 08:24:36 AM »

Like the superb fractal molecule, look like the complex transformation for the complex function f(z)=integral(sum[integers(k,l)](z+2k+1+2l*i+i))dz
 A Star Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig

* complexity_cristoffel - thb (2).png (72.15 KB, 342x192 - viewed 273 times.)

* complexity_cristoffel - thb (6).png (61.96 KB, 342x192 - viewed 265 times.)

* complexity_cristoffel - thb (1).png (51.21 KB, 342x192 - viewed 275 times.)

* complexity_cristoffel - thb (5).png (69.65 KB, 342x192 - viewed 283 times.)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 08:44:22 AM by hgjf2, Reason: yet images » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: