Logo by rathinagiri - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 09:28:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 3D printing output format export file  (Read 3734 times)
Description: 3D printer file format export
kevolegend
Forums Newbie

« on: November 14, 2015, 02:04:05 AM »

Hello all,

I am new so forgive me. Does mandelbulber have an option to save your file as a file that can be used by a 3D printer?

This would be great if so please let me know. I would love to see these Faberge fractals materailse.

I don't mind using a separate conversion program if you know of one.

Anyone know roughly how Tom Beddard created these?

http://sub.blue/faberge

Thank you,
Kevin Johnson.

kevolegend
Forums Newbie

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 01:52:21 AM »

i know know how he created them. His own software using a program he made himself with a few chums no doubt. fractal lab.

http://hirnsohle.de/test/fractalLab/

I have been having alot of fun with it creating all sorts.

I was wondering if anyone would help make a program to convert the fractals into Minecraft levels?

I will look into the parameters he used to create the wonderful faberge fractals so I can get on making them come alive. I will of course give all due copyright and credit to Tom.

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 02:39:49 AM »

Does mandelbulber have an option to save your file as a file that can be used by a 3D printer?

Not currently, M3D does convert to voxel slices (i think) and then use use other software to do the rest.

I was wondering if anyone would help make a program to convert the fractals into Minecraft levels?

I do know I have seen  fractals coded in Minecraft here at FF, it looked good. smiley
JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 02:48:08 AM »

right now there is no option to output to a 3d mesh for just the fractal ( no color or uv mapped texture

once you do have a obj file ( a easy to create mesh format ) you STILL need to convert the hallow mesh into a stl format THAT WILL print on YOUR!!! printer -- there are a few different types  

and they all handle the stl format a bit differently

but for doing this Mandelbulber is really NOT a good choice of tools !!!!

this is mostly a RENDERING engine

if you NEED a STL that is printable

use something like "StructureSynth" that dose already output  to a obj mesh
then convert it using Blender or AutoCAD

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
zebastian
Conqueror

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 02:03:41 PM »

i am personally quite interested in 3d printing, so this feature is already on the mandelbulber TODO list and will be developed grin
however there are some more urgent points we want to develop, so you can expect this at the earliest in a couple of months.

the voxel export in mandelbulb3d works ok, but looses a lot of detail in the final 3d obj (or will render forever).
I think the basic idea of rendering in slices and later on connect the edges is far from being optimal.

I am not quite sure yet how to do this the best way:
how to use a raymarching process to generate a 3D Model of a Volume
maybe a good idea to move a camera "intellegently" around inside the volume and take samples till all surfaces connect to volumes themselves.
Whatever "intellegently" means in this context.  roll eyes

any ideas on a concept are much appreciated.
kevolegend
Forums Newbie

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 02:41:12 AM »

To all you disbeliever out there (for goodness sake your supposed to be optimists!)

http://www.instructables.com/id/Create-a-3D-printed-3D-fractal/

anyone willing to put some effort in here? loads of people online have created prints of fractals. they get better every day.

http://nic022.deviantart.com/art/Fractal-3D-Print-Model-on-Shapeways-418353680

This is exciting stuff people! The possibilities are endless.
JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 03:30:09 AM »

not saying it is NOT possible

i know for a fact that Blender 2.76 has a fractal plugin
structersynth can output a obj file
and there are MANY ways to create a Fractal mesh

BUT
Mandelbulber dose NOT

and would be far down on the list of cool things in the TO DO list

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
kevolegend
Forums Newbie

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 04:06:47 AM »

I have done my research and Mandelbulb 3D is best for what I am wanting to achieve. please end this thread admins I will continue it in mandelbulb 3D section. thank you all that replied and all readers.

Incendia 3D may also be useful and I will let you all know in the Mandelbulb 3D thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: