Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 08:34:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Help?  (Read 2777 times)
Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2015, 08:10:37 AM »

geometry bug? you mean a piece of the fractal is in the way? or is it in the math?
I think it is a "feature" of fragmentarium. It looks like half-transperent pixels, maybe from source code, maybe from specific parameters. You can see that when enable hard shadows - they are hey are not equal, curves, broken, crazy banding. Or shadows appear where they do not exist in reality.

So now i see that height-fog(god rays) also interacts with these parts  smiley

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2015, 09:16:14 AM »

hmmm, was not looking at technical aspects just "the look"

when I turn dither off and maxraysteps down to the point where the fractal is not rendered I get this...

* test.jpg (13.4 KB, 640x360 - viewed 18 times.)

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2015, 10:48:44 AM »

Yeah! That's what i say )

One person has used this technique in their works. Maybe you know him?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lagardo/7983838924/in/pool-fragmentarium/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lagardo/17396000782/in/pool-fragmentarium/

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2015, 06:42:41 AM »

So... this is a streamlined frag- I finally got the polyhedronized Menger to work- it only has 2 platonic solids, but you can do other polyhedra... just not the more complicated ones yet!

I'm going to do an updated version later, that allows you to do some of the neat tricks you can do with the simpler cube/spheric Menger I released last week, but instead of cube/spheric, it will be polyhedra/spheric.  Maybe allow 2 polytypes per thingy, so we don't have to calculate angles every iteration. 

Anyway.. here is the prototype.  Give it a whirl.  Pretty simple for now: allows you to change the number of faces of the Menger.  The polyhedral transform might be interesting to blend with the T1 pine tree fractals... or maybe just with the blended Menger.

* MengersmoothPolyhedra type.frag (12.65 KB - downloaded 18 times.)

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2015, 07:18:20 AM »

lol...

Someone else can try this frag.  My 8 year old mobile GPU can't handle it.  cheesy

I am going to get the Pine Tree to allow at least one polyhedral transform... It doesn't need quite so many options.  I could actually make it only have symmetric number of side polyhedra... I suppose.  

Anyway, maybe this will work for someone else... with a real GPU.  I can streamline it for mine, but the hilarity was a bit too much...so I had to post it. cheesy

Note, the polygon/polyhedral parts might be in the wrong order.  I forgot to check... so... maybe look.. but it might not be correct.  In fact.. that might explain one of the problems I had earlier (before I got this awesome error).  

* MengerSmoothPolytypesBetter.frag (15.79 KB - downloaded 21 times.)
* MengerSmoothPolytypes.frag (15.51 KB - downloaded 18 times.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:19:43 AM by M Benesi » Logged

mclarekin
Fractal Senior

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2015, 07:28:04 AM »

This one sounds really interesting grin I watch with interest.

BTW: Why  const float pi=2.*1.570796326794897; instead of  simply 3.14.....?

Summary of Mag Transforms, I needed to put in some code to catch exception zero errors and wonder why .frags and m3f files don't seem to need them?

With DE I found T1 worked with DeltaDE, logDe and linear DE
T2 with LogDE and Delta DE

The T3,T4 & T5B  were all DeltaDE only. That is when running them by themselves to bail out.  When you run them for a single iteration amongst other transforms, the image deteriorations is a lot less.

I am about to finally code the spheric unspheric transforms. I am looking forward to testing them out. grin

Cheers
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2015, 08:27:36 AM »

This one sounds really interesting grin I watch with interest.
hahah.. overloads my little old GPU.  It's.. something a bit new.  Needs to be ported to M3D so I can do some neat renders with Pine Tree, combined with it.  cheesy

BTW: Why  const float pi=2.*1.570796326794897; instead of  simply 3.14.....?
  Ohh.. sheesh.  That was me being too lazy to grab Pi to a few digits when I already have pi/2.  cheesy

Summary of Mag Transforms, I needed to put in some code to catch exception zero errors and wonder why .frags and m3f files don't seem to need them?
  frags avoid them for the most part- although if you look straight on down the z??  axis of certain things, they disappear.  I was thinking maybe it's a division by zero thing. 

I used to have to catch /0 in ChaosPro too... it's nice not to worry about it. 

With DE I found T1 worked with DeltaDE, logDe and linear DE
T2 with LogDE and Delta DE

The T3,T4 & T5B  were all DeltaDE only. That is when running them by themselves to bail out.  When you run them for a single iteration amongst other transforms, the image deteriorations is a lot less.
  Hmm.. I don't know.  I usually use them mixed once or twice with other transforms anyway- I find that even if you brute force render (no DE), applying T2+ too many times rips the fractal apart.  Just every 2-4 iters. 

Same with the unspheric/spheric transform.  I like doing it every few iters.  cheesy  Have fun with them.  It's cool to have the cubes in the Mandies... In fact, we can make the old school 2d Mandelbrot squarey every 3 or 4th iteration with them too.  cheesy

I don't know that I've seen that before.  hmm...

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2015, 08:06:08 AM »

Got it working with DE-Kn2.frag, had to comment out unPolyhedronator()
jff:  compiled shader program turns into about 15600 lines of GPU assembler wink

* BenesiShmenger.jpg (31.81 KB, 640x360 - viewed 21 times.)

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2015, 09:37:59 AM »

It even stopped your beast!  cheesy 

I ended up commenting out a bunch of the spheric options, and consolidating polyhedronator with polygonator and spheric, so it took out enough branch paths that I could compile it.  I thought I uploaded the frag here, but.. I might have spaced it.  I was working on fixing the tetrahedron (it is a tetrahedron, but not regular like the Sierpinski, which I wanted to blend the Menger with when I had a good working transform between the 2 shapes... might be silly, might not work.. but... ehhh... why not try?).

My code ended up looking like.. well, like the stuff I put in the "Circle" thread in the math section.  I can't tell if I should scale by sqrt(2) or not... it looks right.. but..   Anyway, the following has a "fullpolytest" section, trying to fix the tetrahedron scaling problem without doing it the right way, which would be to specify faces, and scale individual parts of the sphere, instead of the way I'm doing it.  I think.  I flunked out of math class, smashed keyboards like a monkey, and cool stuff happened.  wink

Working on a 4d Transform1 (well, have one ready for M3D- doing a comparison shot).  The various transforms can be scaled up to higher dimensions relatively easily, since the rotation towards the magnitude axis is pretty straightforward, all of the transforms are pretty easily translated to higher Ds (so is the bulb, but it just doesn't seem to work as well, for whatever reason), so the Menger Sierpinski hybrid will wait a bit.. unless someone else does it. 

Here is the frag in progress.

* MengersmoothPolyhedra type working.frag (15.51 KB - downloaded 22 times.)

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #84 on: November 21, 2015, 07:26:02 AM »

Have I told you your usage of lighting is awesome, 3dickulus?  If I forgot to let you know, consider this a notification.  wink

So.. I drew a bunch of lines on paper and came up with how to do a stellar coordinate transform (you know, like the polygonal transform).  You can adjust the pointyness of the star with starangle.  I forgot to set it in the frag!!  So will correct that now.  Around 1.25 rad works good for a pentagon.  I suppose you could look up what the official regular star polygon angles are.. if you want.  It's an idea... anyway...  I'll fix the frag in a minute.

I didn't play with it yet..  besides making a star for us... if only someone with awesome lighting skills could combine a star with say.. a pine tree looking pine tree Mandelbulb before xmas...

I think one could go on one of these fir Mandelbulbs...:

The frag is a work in progress.. just the rough file with the polygon (not polyhedral) star transform.

LOL... update after whoever downloaded it to add polyhedron stellation

* MengerWorkOnStella.frag (6.28 KB - downloaded 18 times.)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:01:56 AM by M Benesi » Logged

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #85 on: November 21, 2015, 07:53:17 AM »

ty cheesy I am grateful for your math skills A Beer Cup it would look very dull without them undecided

a festive scene would be nice...

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2015, 08:17:13 AM »

Updated Smoooooth Menger.  Use with the newest texture sample coloring (coloring thread) if you want to make it look awesome.  The presets are cool... with the new texture sample coloring and the right images to sample for colors.

Can make a Menger that looks like a machine with pistons- think I saw someone do something like this before (moving piston Menger) but I could be wrong.

Anyway, here are a few images, from the "Eagle" preset, use with the new coloring formula (grab fast-raytracer.frag from the coloring thread, and put it in your include directory), and a texture I'll point you towards.

If you alter orbitAdd1, it will move stuff around.  Well.. alter stuff.  Uncheck orbitCut to do different stuff (smoother).  Various iteration things allow you to pick which iteration to apply effects.  

Be careful.. last one has sparks coming off it.  Who knows...  

Use this image for coloring the eagle preset, and comment on their Deviant Art page if you use it...

http://hauntingmewithstock.deviantart.com/art/Glitter-Glow-Texture-IX-99931998

* MengerWithDistortions.frag (17.03 KB - downloaded 22 times.)
* Fast-Raytracer.frag (14.85 KB - downloaded 24 times.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 08:43:12 AM by M Benesi » Logged

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2015, 03:09:46 PM »

Thank you very much! Cool  A Beer Cup
Need to test it!

* fast_tex_test.jpg (124.9 KB, 1024x512 - viewed 21 times.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 03:20:12 PM by Crist-JRoger » Logged

M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2015, 12:22:32 AM »

Here is a Pine Tree... with a bunch of added features.  Can do things like the following (that I did with M3D... because my GPU is 8 years old... will try on another computer someday):

I know.. I know.  Don't make flowers.  

* PineV322.frag (17.27 KB - downloaded 23 times.)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 09:50:49 AM by M Benesi » Logged

Crist-JRoger
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2015, 06:32:05 PM »

test with DE-Kn renderer and texture image from chaotica  wink

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: