Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 04:14:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: noob question...  (Read 2088 times)
chaosWyrM
Forums Newbie

« on: October 07, 2015, 12:01:43 AM »

hi, i just signed up to ask this question, but i look forward to participating more.

im having a problem when changing resolutions in mandelbulb 3d.

i have an image thats set up exactly how i want it, its a perfect square. im using this image for an album cover. in order to print physical cds i need to alter the image size to fit how they print them...which are NOT perfect squares.

all i want to do is add some extra width to the image...but when i do it recalculates everything and the image is different.

i hope im explaining this correctly. so my image scales perfectly as long as i keep using squares, but when i change the resolution to anything thats not a square...everything is different.

for instance...the cd tray insert needs to be 1772x1385 to account for the 2 spines on either side and the fact that a jewl case is slightly rectangular. so in my image there are things that come from the corners towards the center, i need them to stay in the corners. if i expand the resolution to expose more of the sides, then those should remain where they are, but they dont, they move as well to the edge of the image with the new resolution. i just want to expose more of the current image...not recalculate it.

basically im asking how do i change the resolution like an aperture that opens and closes as opposed to something that affects the calculations? or can i not do that at all?

i hope im explaining this correctly, and apologies if im not.

thanks in advance for any help.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 12:12:21 AM »

Hello and welcome to the forums   afro

hi, i just signed up to ask this question, but i look forward to participating more.

im having a problem when changing resolutions in mandelbulb 3d.

i have an image thats set up exactly how i want it, its a perfect square. im using this image for an album cover. in order to print physical cds i need to alter the image size to fit how they print them...which are NOT perfect squares.

all i want to do is add some extra width to the image...but when i do it recalculates everything and the image is different.

i hope im explaining this correctly. so my image scales perfectly as long as i keep using squares, but when i change the resolution to anything thats not a square...everything is different.

for instance...the cd tray insert needs to be 1772x1385 to account for the 2 spines on either side and the fact that a jewl case is slightly rectangular. so in my image there are things that come from the corners towards the center, i need them to stay in the corners. if i expand the resolution to expose more of the sides, then those should remain where they are, but they dont, they move as well to the edge of the image with the new resolution. i just want to expose more of the current image...not recalculate it.

basically im asking how do i change the resolution like an aperture that opens and closes as opposed to something that affects the calculations? or can i not do that at all?

i hope im explaining this correctly, and apologies if im not.

thanks in advance for any help.

I'm not certain I understand the question.  If you want to make it wider, yes it will have to be recalculated.

But it sounds like you don't really want it made wider since you want the corners to remain as they are.

Offhand I'd say what you want to do is render a much larger than needed image (because downsizing never hurts quality, but upsizing can cause distortions and artifacts), then open the image in an image editor and crop/resize to your required dimensions.  That would give you exact control over the edges, width, and even etc.!

Hope that helps, and hope I understood the problem correctly.

Good luck with it!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
chaosWyrM
Forums Newbie

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 12:18:39 AM »

thnx for the reply. the problem with doing it that way is the proportions are off. if i just make the square larger...if i use the extra width...the height is off.

all im trying to do is expose more of the current image with the current calculations. like if you look out a window thats a 2x2 square....and then make that window a 3x2 rectangle. what youre looking at through the window is unchanged...only the amount that you can see is.

perhaps this just isnt possible?
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 12:20:23 AM »

Much larger is required if you print in any case. You need high resolution to do prints.
Welcome wink

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
chaosWyrM
Forums Newbie

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 12:27:18 AM »

Much larger is required if you print in any case. You need high resolution to do prints.
Welcome wink

yes...the size is easy enough to work out with the scaling. the resolution of 1772x1385 is their requirement. im aware that ill need to render it 3 or 4 times that and let them scale it down. as long as its proportional...it should be ok (according to them).
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 12:47:44 AM »

yes...the size is easy enough to work out with the scaling. the resolution of 1772x1385 is their requirement. im aware that ill need to render it 3 or 4 times that and let them scale it down. as long as its proportional...it should be ok (according to them).

Actually...

I'd suggest trying the higher resolution render first, to be sure it renders as expected.

Dramatically changing the size of a fractal in MB3D can cause surprising changes in the fractal due to (I think) distance estimation.  The DE Stop setting can be changed automatically, or manually, when changing resolution - and often, but not always, needs to be in order to get the desired results.

As for simply revealing more, of the fractal surrounding the image, that is not a function of image size.  Rather it is dependent only on camera position.  To revel more stuff on the sides you have to zoom out.  The resolution is not analogous to the window in your example, that would be more analogous to the camera aperture.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
chaosWyrM
Forums Newbie

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 12:54:11 AM »

Actually...

I'd suggest trying the higher resolution render first, to be sure it renders as expected.

Dramatically changing the size of a fractal in MB3D can cause surprising changes in the fractal due to (I think) distance estimation.  The DE Stop setting can be changed automatically, or manually, when changing resolution - and often, but not always, needs to be in order to get the desired results.

As for simply revealing more, of the fractal surrounding the image, that is not a function of image size.  Rather it is dependent only on camera position.  To revel more stuff on the sides you have to zoom out.  The resolution is not analogous to the window in your example, that would be more analogous to the camera aperture.

thanks,

ok..so that sounds like were getting closer. is there a camera aperture setting im missing? because that sounds like exactly what i need. if i simply zoom in or out then that wont work. but if i can change the camera aperture, that would.
ellarien
Conqueror

I like flowers

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 01:10:04 AM »

ok..so that sounds like were getting closer. is there a camera aperture setting im missing? because that sounds like exactly what i need. if i simply zoom in or out then that wont work. but if i can change the camera aperture, that would.

Try the FOVy parameter on the 'Camera' tab (or on the hidden bottom row of the 3D Navi.) It might not be exactly what you want, but it might help.
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 01:12:11 AM »

thanks,

ellarien beat me to it, but I typed this out so am posting it anyhow   tease

It's not exactly a camera aperture, but it's called FOVy and is in the Camera tab.  You'd be better off just zooming out, then doing the rendering way oversized and crop to what you want thing. FOVy can also alter the look of the image because it's like changing lenses in a real camera to one with a wider "Field Of View" and sometimes it can give a fish-eye look if set too high.  It may be undetectable in a small increase.  Experiment and find out   educated

If, as sometime happens, zooming out changes the look too much, try zooming out in very small steps  (that is adjustable) and use the fixed zoom checkbox if needed (in the 3D Navi).

Sometimes things don't cooperate the way we'd like and we need to just find a workaround...  1

chaosWyrM
Forums Newbie

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 01:15:43 AM »

Try the FOVy parameter on the 'Camera' tab (or on the hidden bottom row of the 3D Navi.) It might not be exactly what you want, but it might help.

hi, thnx for the reply. yeah i was playing around with that. it does help, but like you said, isnt exactly what i was trying to do. if theres no way to do it exactly...i can make it work with whats available.

chaosWyrM
Forums Newbie

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 01:19:02 AM »

ellarien beat me to it, but I typed this out so am posting it anyhow   tease

It's not exactly a camera aperture, but it's called FOVy and is in the Camera tab.  You'd be better off just zooming out, then doing the rendering way oversized and crop to what you want thing. FOVy can also alter the look of the image because it's like changing lenses in a real camera to one with a wider "Field Of View" and sometimes it can give a fish-eye look if set too high.  It may be undetectable in a small increase.  Experiment and find out   educated

If, as sometime happens, zooming out changes the look too much, try zooming out in very small steps  (that is adjustable) and use the fixed zoom checkbox if needed (in the 3D Navi).

Sometimes things don't cooperate the way we'd like and we need to just find a workaround...  1

hehe...was typing the other one out when you responded.

thnx for the help. yeah ill just make it work how i can.

lol...its not like anyones buying this cd anyway.  cry
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: