Logo by Madman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 12:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Windows is dead and windows 10 unsuitable for fravtal art what is next best OS?  (Read 2013 times)
Karmic Beats
Forums Freshman

« on: October 02, 2015, 12:42:30 AM »

Microsoft is dead as an OS manufacturer.  They have not released a reasonably usable OS since XP. 

They failed in the small devices market.

Windows 10 with it's unstoppable automatic updates is unsuitable for tasks like long renders, compiles, encodings etc because it will start updating in the middle and either make it take way longer or it will foul up and trash the render.

So what is another OS that is good for fractal art?

At Karmic Beats I provide binaural, isochronic, solfeggio frequencies, ASMR, meditations and meditation advice, free of charge to all who choose to benefit. I put my positive energies into the beats and through them out into the cosmos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MrKlawdek
Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 01:11:58 AM »

Microsoft is dead as an OS manufacturer.  They have not released a reasonably usable OS since XP. 

Windows 10 with it's unstoppable automatic updates is unsuitable for tasks like long renders, compiles, encodings etc because it will start updating in the middle and either make it take way longer or it will foul up and trash the render.

Not useless at all if you use a dedicated rig and keep it off line when rendering.

It still sucks, but it's far from dead and useless.

You use whatever OS works for you.  Many swear by MAC, but I think they are horrible.  Others love linux, but many are put off by all the command line only stuff.

There is never a need to use the newest stuff unless you have software that requires it - in which case you have no choice.

Based on your post, I'd say you should stick with XP since it's the one you like.  The only drawback is you are limited in some software, but user satisfaction is more important than anything else!

I use win 7 & 8 and have updates turned off.  I expect a 5 to 10 year life of regular use from these two systems and will not be getting w10 for at least that long.  My win 7 is totally offline and never has been online in it's entire life, so an offline system is the way to beat auto updates.  Yes, that means 2 computers, but for rendering Art, Animation, and Fractals there is no beating a 100% dedicated and totally offline rig.

That's my coupla pennies worth anyhow...

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
Karmic Beats
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 03:34:19 AM »

I am aware of the offline option and so is Microsoft.  Expect Windows 10 to stop functioning and refuse to do anything until it is put online and allowed to update.  They will eventually put that feature in.

Problem with staying with same system is that you are stuck with everything taking a long time.  While new hardware would make it much faster.  But you cannot upgrade to new hardware without getting the new OS.

At Karmic Beats I provide binaural, isochronic, solfeggio frequencies, ASMR, meditations and meditation advice, free of charge to all who choose to benefit. I put my positive energies into the beats and through them out into the cosmos.

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 05:10:13 AM »

SuSE Linux, no cmd line stuff unless you want it, fully integrated GUI Desktop, browsers, email etc etc etc., very stable and a number of development environments, of course there are some quirks but I find it much much better than MSWin (any version although if I absolutely had to use MS and had the option, XP would be my choice)

just MHO wink

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
quaz0r
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2015, 05:36:13 AM »

micros~1 is ushering in the long fabled year of the linux desktop with their big brother spyware antics  evil
JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2015, 06:14:39 AM »

OpenSUSE is a good linux OS
I use it as by default OS ( i also run ScintificLinux 6.7 ( clone of RHEL 6 )

suse is also a good choice for the New To Linux people , it is very GUI centric ( point and click ) and easy to use
( but you NEED TO READ THE USER MANUAL!!! just like you had to do with MS Windows !!!)

the only "spy ware" is a opt in for program crashes to send data to the developers
but you HAVE TO TURN IT ON  -- it is OFF by default

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015, 06:26:43 AM »

pardon me, OpenSuSE of course, and if you want security look at http://www.pcbsd.org/ very similar to linux but more unix knowledge will be required.  A Beer Cup

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »

I am aware of the offline option and so is Microsoft.  Expect Windows 10 to stop functioning and refuse to do anything until it is put online and allowed to update.  They will eventually put that feature in.

Problem with staying with same system is that you are stuck with everything taking a long time.  While new hardware would make it much faster.  But you cannot upgrade to new hardware without getting the new OS.

I seriously doubt they will ever cripple your computer until it is put online.  That could well lead to lawsuits!

After all, "security updates" and other updates are mostly to keep you safe online.  If never online, they are never needed and if anybody has any evidence that they have plans to force you online I would like to see it.  I can't ever see that happening.  Nag screens, sure.  But crippling the OS - I doubt it.

I know they are going subscription based  (which I will never buy into) but I have seen press releases that said they would only require the updates be paid and never turn your computer into a paperweight over subscription stuff.

Of course they could be just saying that, it is microsoft after all...

But you can still get Win XP 64 Bit Pro and put it on new hardware, so that option is not as impossible as you think.

All that said, if Open SUSE Linux runs WINE then I think there are no worries.  I ran a lot of Win Software on my mac using that and never had a problem except for a few programs that relied heavily on Direct X.

The big problem is there are not enough decent programs that run on Linux natively.  Most of the software I need for work is mac and windows only, so until they port those programs to linux I don't see where I personally have much choice - except a 3rd computer!   sticking out tongue

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 03:30:27 PM »

Microsoft is dead as an OS manufacturer.  They have not released a reasonably usable OS since XP.  

What about disabling auto updates.
Or if it fails... unplug the phone cable and the updates won't bother you lol
My latest updates almost killed my pc btw... it was just impossible to launch ANY PROGRAM and to open ANY FILE! sad I was in a black rage but able to fix it somewhat.

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 03:32:10 PM »

The big problem is there are not enough decent programs that run on Linux natively. 

openSUSE Build Service hosts 39,615 projects, with 315,002 packages, in 55,297 repositories and is used by 42,598 confirmed developers.

the cool thing is that all of the sourcecode is available for scrutiny  tease

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 07:03:20 PM »

openSUSE Build Service hosts 39,615 projects, with 315,002 packages, in 55,297 repositories and is used by 42,598 confirmed developers....

That's not enough!!   clown

I guess it's just a hang over from when I searched in the past.

While it is obviously no longer true that there are only a few programs for Linux, it is still true that many of the programs I need will not run properly on Linux of any flavor.  Particularly a few tool I need for work stuff like ChemLab and a lot ofmy favorite Art programs  (I know there may be other Art software for Linux, but as with any genre of software - finding a program you like and can work with easily can take a long time and once you find one it becomes a chore to work with other software which can cause headaches and waste a lot of time on learning curves).

DarkBeam
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Fragments of the fractal -like the tip of it

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 08:31:38 PM »

For example I can not use gimp at all

Really

No sweat, guardian of wisdom!
JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 10:52:09 PM »

win 10 busted Gimp 2.8.14 ? ? ? ? ? ?

-- very ODD
h t t p : / / download.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.8/windows/gimp-2.8.14-setup-1.exe
has a 32 and 64 bit version

or the 32 and 64 bit Gimp 2.8 stable nightly build  from one of the win dev's
http://nightly.darkrefraction.com/gimp/stable/

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
Karmic Beats
Forums Freshman

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 01:25:31 AM »

That's not enough!!   clown

I guess it's just a hang over from when I searched in the past.

While it is obviously no longer true that there are only a few programs for Linux, it is still true that many of the programs I need will not run properly on Linux of any flavor.  Particularly a few tool I need for work stuff like ChemLab and a lot ofmy favorite Art programs  (I know there may be other Art software for Linux, but as with any genre of software - finding a program you like and can work with easily can take a long time and once you find one it becomes a chore to work with other software which can cause headaches and waste a lot of time on learning curves).

That is the main point of my question.  The software.  It seems I always have something that cannot be done on other systems.  Back when I was doing amateur game level design.   The tools for making the levels came out first on windows.  If you where lucky a set for the mac would come out a few to several months later and would not be as good.

Now all the fractal art software and audio software I use is windows.  It takes a long time to figure out some of these programs.

I think MS will try to come up with a way to make you subscribe and stay subscribed.  However I think they are starting to loose their OS business.

Some of the things I just discovered while working on a friends PC are a bit disturbing.

Microsoft has put influence on the hardware manufacturers to change the BIOS to something else.  As a result no more booting up into repair mode.   This feature which is necessary for booting up a system that will not boot is now only available from a booted up system.  Rendering it and the computer in question useless.

Everything I have read indicates a possible problem with windows registry hive files.  I should just be able to boot into repair mode and reset from the hidden OS image file.  But that cannot be done without first booting up into windows 😠

I am guessing that it was probably a windows update that went bad that did this.  And now they want to make updates mandatory?

I think microsoft is heading in a bad direction and over time they will start loosing the market share.

I do not think they can compete in a real competitive environment without cheating.  And, I think their days of cheating are coming to a close.

I wonder what would happen if google came out with a full fledged android OS for desktop and laptops?

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 02:17:21 AM »

@Sockratease I agree, it's hard to find something that feels good and does what you want and even harder to change once you've found it.
@Karmic Beats the balance will tip toward the one that fits your needs and requirements, imho, linux is the most versatile.
@JohnVV I think DarkBeam was referring to using the program not actually installing it, the interface may be completely alien compared to what he currently uses.

The programs like Gimp, OpenOffice and others are, functionally,  as good as anything on Win/Mac and FREE! if you can't find the program you need then all of the tools necessary to create the program you need are also included FREE! for me this makes linux the only OS worth investing my time in, optionally I can make $ donations to support OS devs or program authors but I am never obliged to do so.  A Beer Cup

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: