Logo by rathinagiri - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Check out the originating "3d Mandelbulb" thread here

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 28, 2024, 03:33:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: JWildfire  (Read 289 times)
Description: slow, slow, slow
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« on: September 28, 2015, 09:20:49 PM »

It is so weird. I love to play around with JWildfire  2,57  but the longer I use it the more problems I got.   For example when I started I could render a fractal in say 30 min.  but that got longer and longer.  It says that I run out of Java time, but I have the latest and I tried all things like making it from 1024 to 2048 and such... I even removed it all and install it again, but I'm rendering one now and it is on about 30 %  and it is now at least 5 hours working!   
I don't mind a fractal working for even 36 hours for one ... picture, but I don't understand why it changed from say 30 minutes to  what?  8 hours?

What am I doing wrong?  And please if you are kind enough to reply to this 'cry for help' wink        remember to use 'child language'    smiley   
The question therefore is:  Am I doing something wrong?  If so, what?    My pc has 16 gb Ram (could be more)  and it must be capable of rendering this?
And how come that in the beginning it went nice and speedy and now it is like standing in a traffic jam.  I'm sure it is my fault!  But why?  I Think it got something to do with Java?

I am going to walk my dog and after that i have to sleep so I wont answer till tomorrow.  But I do appreciate any help possible!  A Beer Cup A Beer Cup A Beer Cup

Thanks
Caleidoscope

"Today you create the memory for tomorrow, be sure to make it a good one"
thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 10:40:31 PM »

Be sure to use a 64 BIT Java runtime (Java 7 or Java 8 ) and to reserve enough memory at the launcher window (3-4 GB should work fine), and all should run smooth.

Since 2.57 there is a new indicator called "render speed" in the interactive renderer. It shows which quality level the renderer will reach with the current fractal and chosen resolution in one hour.

For a typical resolution of 1920x1080 you should get a render speed of a few thousands on a modern machine, this means it would take 15 minutes to one hour to render a fractal in this resolution in very high quality.

So, normally, there is no way that one single fractal will take 36 hours, unless you choose an insanely high quality level (which is possible).

500 should be enough for most fractals at screen resolution and render very quickly.

Regards
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 11:15:58 PM »

Thank you Thargor and forgive my stupidity ...     

If I understand correctly, I got the screen that says ... 1024... I have to put that up to 4 gb?  How do I do that?  just put in the number? 
I render my pictures if  I think it is nice,  on for example 2560. Nothing special not even on the highest quality yet.  My pc is about even a year old and I especially bought this one to be able to render fractals so with more Ram etc.   

So I have to be sure that I use the right Java  and enough memory.  But one question, how come that before I made about  a 200 pictures and it worked smooth etc and indeed about an half an hour to an hour for a beautiful fractal and now it just is as slow as a thirsty camel in the desert? 

I tried to resolve it by removing the program and download and intall it fresh, but that didn't help.  I just finished rendering a fractal and it took  6 hours and I got the screen up with:  'message: Java heap space'  and if I click on: Stacktrace it says:  'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space'
It also says that it can'  find the path!  ( a problem lots of people have but I sincerely hope not a fractal wink  sorry can't help myself)  :hit:t

Should I upgrade to windows 10?  Might that be helpful?    Sorry to bother you,  and thank you for your kind help, much appreciated!
Goodnight and thanks again.
Caleidoscope

thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 11:31:27 PM »

Hi,
the number you mentioned is exactly the one I meant and the most important setting for the software.

It specifies the total maximum amount of memory the application may use for everything it does, the default is 1024 MB which is not very much for JWildfire because it does not only use the memory for rendering, but also for font-caches etc.

I think, this is the reason for your problem. When the reserved amount of memory is "full", the java-process tries to free memory all the time and has not much time left to render.

When you get the "'java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space'"-error it means that Java had top give up because all reserved memory is consumed (which again, can happen very quickly when using the default value).

So, just increase this value, say to 6000 and you will happy :-)

Best regards

P.S.:
When your PC is just one year old, it should be fine. I'm using a 5 years old PC and can render many simple fractals almost in realtime. Windows 10 is not necessary, but JWildfire works with it, too.
Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 09:22:07 AM »

Thanks a lot Thargor.
First I will check if my Java is really up to date and then I will put it on 6000 as you say.  I will let you know!  smiley

Caleidoscope
Fractal Fertilizer

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 10:08:16 AM »

I just updated my Java to the 8.0 version, was not installed yet.  And put the available memory to 7000  and well I'm happy to say that it is running again. It took about 15 min.  to render a fractal.   the wave  I'm very glad smiley

Thanks a lot Thargor. I know you are very busy, and I very much appreciate it that you took the time to help me out!    A Beer Cup A Beer Cup A Beer Cup

thargor6
Fractal Molossus

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 09:34:50 PM »

I'm glad that I could help you  A Beer Cup :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: