Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 03:22:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Computer Spec. requirements for fractalling  (Read 454 times)
Description: a question concerning how powerful a new computer to buy
fatspoon
Forums Newbie

« on: September 13, 2015, 08:13:43 PM »

What sort of specs are good to get a smooth running fractal program? Such as fractal explorer? It always crashed on my macbook pro. Considering getting the new 5k Imac, would I have to splurge to the dearer option to be able to run this sort of stuff?
Two different versions are:
3.3GHz / 3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor
1TB-3TB hard-drive / fusion drive
AMD Radeon R9 M290 graphics processor with 2GB of GDDR5 memory

thanks in advance for your attention to a boring matter
TheRedshiftRider
Fractalist Chemist
Global Moderator
Fractal Iambus

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 08:58:29 PM »

Your setup is good I think. But I think you will need more ram. It is best to get around 8 to 16 gb. Im also looking for a good combination, maybe you can find more info in my thread: http://www.fractalforums.com/non-fractal-related-chit-chat/any-recommendations-for-a-good-desktop-cpu-for-fractals/
The processor look like a good choice.

About the software, if you want to use a good software have a look at some of the programs with perturbation rendering like kalles fraktaler, mandelmachine and superfractalthing. They can all be found on the forums. These are focussed on deep zooming and are extremely fast.
Edit: I dont know if they can be run on mac.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:57:53 AM by TheRedshiftRider » Logged

Motivation is like a salt, once it has been dissolved it can react with things it comes into contact with to form something interesting. nerd
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: