Logo by tomot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 02:56:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Exception Shortfilms  (Read 2062 times)
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »

Thanks!
Unfortunately shadows are quite tricky. For that short video I have already built a set of matte objects and a matte material to mask out the thing (pillars).
The matte object I have allows taking the shadows, but - as long as it's fairly simple to cast shadows on the floor and maybe a wall, it's getting tricker with more complicated objects.
That particular movie has a huge modern bench on the floor which makes it impossible (in practice) to take that approach.

In normal VFX pipelines, the way you'd normally integrate it is that you roughly model the scene (so add floors, walls, a rough model of the bench etc…) and just cast shadow on this geometry.
Not a big deal if you have a normal modelling tools, but impossible when you work with DE-based renderers and distance fields.

To make it more complicated, there are tracking imperfections and distortion of the backplate caused by the lens.
Again - something that is normally quite easy to correct for, but not in a 'primitive' environment for rendering fractals.

The only other workaround I see would be to render the fractal in any GLSLish shader and do all the compositing elsewhere.
But that would require to model a rough approximation of the fractal in a standard 3D modelling software to cast shadows.
(Or develop a pipeline to export voxels, convert to mesh etc…).

All would be doable on a hollywood movie, but not necessarily with the amount of time I plan on spending on these projects.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2015, 11:31:22 PM »

nice...

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: