Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit us on facebook

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 05:53:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Problems running fragmentarium  (Read 3504 times)
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 09:13:23 PM »

I have tested against all versions and they seem fine.

Check menu Edit->Preferences

if a frag crashed and set Auto Run to false you may be trying to execute an improperly initialized shader

these are my settings..

* prefs.jpg (27.59 KB, 389x434 - viewed 233 times.)

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 12:23:34 AM »

v1.0.10 win executables are available at my website but w/o OpenEXR sad because it's bedtime and the weekend is over cry
if anyone wants EXR they will have to compile on linux or wait until someone that knows win-dev better than I can provide a solution. undecided

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

JohnVV
Conqueror

having fun

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 02:13:12 AM »

Patryk Kizny

the 3d card is a ATI/AMD one right

the nvidia driver will not work

now unless Microsoft has changed it's strips ( not likely )
the drivers that MS installs from "auto updates"  tend to be OpenGL disabled or crippled

Auto update will AUTO REPLACE the one you manually installed from the AMD web site

grab the amd driver from the amd site

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

just like for Nvidia cards you use the nvidia site

Running OpenSUSE 42.1-64bit & ScientificLinux-6.7-64bit
I don't pitch Linux to my friends,I let Microsoft do it for me!"
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 04:05:06 AM »

@JohnVV thanks for the input, I think I said something similar... somewhere wink
@Patryk v1.0.10 is ok? I have the internal textures follow the buffer format for consistency and so that saving EXR reads from float texture instead of int, this is relatively fast for GPU hardware to handle but if emulated on CPU I think one would see lagging to the extent that you have described.
@Syntopia I note in the DisplayWidget.cpp that there are some issues with texture mip-maps and it is disabled... I think I fixed it but not sure how to test definitively to know that it is actually working right. (not in executables yet source only)

in a frag this should create a mipmapped texture...
Code:
uniform sampler2D myTexture; file[test.png]
#TexParameter myTexture GL_TEXTURE_MAX_LEVEL 1000
#TexParameter myTexture GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_S GL_REPEAT
#TexParameter myTexture GL_TEXTURE_WRAP_T GL_REPEAT
#TexParameter myTexture GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER GL_LINEAR
#TexParameter myTexture GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR

edit: i did find this (google) "glGenerateMipmap doesn't work on ATI as of 2011"
        and this https://www.opengl.org/wiki/Floating_point_and_mipmapping_and_filtering
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 07:06:02 AM by 3dickulus » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 10:22:04 AM »

Guys, thanks for your input.
I've tried a bunch of drivers (i.e. different versions coming obviously from the manufacturer).
It did not work before windows updates and it does not work either after updating.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 03:12:53 PM »

does the github-master version exhibit the same condition? if so maybe you cooked your GPU? My GTX8800 had a meltdown from using Fragmentarium, literally.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 04:40:30 PM »

Dick, the same thing happens on 2 separate GPUS, so I don't think i burnt it down.

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
Syntopia
Fractal Molossus

syntopiadk
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 08:59:52 PM »

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning here: If 1.0.6 still works on the same hardware, this must be a pure software/configuration problem, right?

Does this slowdown only happen when doing hi-resolution renders, or is there also a slowdown when doing ordinary interactive renders? (e.g. try setting Fragmentarium in Animation mode, and look at the FPS in the lower-right corner).
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 09:03:22 PM »

I have no idea what's happening.
No, the performance is impaired when I open a fresh fragmentarium with the default Mandelbulb frag and its setting in the screen buffer. Did not even try hires renders as clearly there is something wrong.

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 09:04:13 PM »

Is there any guide to compiling for dummies? I mean on Windows.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:13:49 PM by Patryk Kizny » Logged

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 03:53:32 AM »

Well, if you installed Qt5 dev pkg you should be able to open the Fragmentarium.pro file (right click -> open with...) QtCreator, <configure> project then <build>
However, you will find that it is only that easy if everything is in place, like the current source code, v1.0.10, will probably not compile until the OpenEXR libs and headers are compiled and installed unless you #ifdef or comment out the EXR stuff. I haven't figured that out yet, hopefully the community will offer some assistance so everybody can play with the EXR version.

I found this video, CG, very nicely done https://vimeo.com/channels/staffpicks/136114837 this encourages me to help artists by providing FREE tools, vicarious artistic creativity.

to compile without EXR you will have to comment out the line
Code:
 LIBS += IlmImf Imath Half Iex IexMath IlmThread
in the file Fragmentarium.pro

I also have not done any extensive testing of mip-map textures with HDR/EXR, only to the extent that the files seem to load and display properly.

did you resolve the GPU issue? drivers? hardware? windows? if not, then compiling from source may not help sad

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 04:05:21 AM »

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning here: If 1.0.6 still works on the same hardware, this must be a pure software/configuration problem, right?

I have experienced an extreme slow down when I left something uninitialized or not allocated properly but when that situation shows up I fix it before publishing, at least on my linux box. I took some (a lot) time to compare 1.0.6 with 1.0.9/10 sources and nothing jumps out at me as being a cause. I use the github master version as a base to compare my changes against, ie if it still runs as fast or faster I'm happy with it.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 06:34:21 AM »

here is a shot of v1.0.10 mip-mapped hdr texture in a very simple test, using a frag posted here in the forum somewhere, just one texture on a plane. (note the frame rate bottom right)
there may be some issues with GL versions < 3.0 , but again I reiterate, this needs testing and verification. It should work down to 2.0  undecided

I have posted v1.0.10 win exes on my website but without EXR, HDR loading still works, but no EXR load/save

* v1.0.10-test.jpg (99.86 KB, 1019x630 - viewed 224 times.)

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 02:51:59 AM »

Just summarizing:
- I did not test the mipmaps thing on the wicked machine yet.
- 1.10 is still laggy on the wicked one.
- 1.10 runs smoothly on other machines (the build from you).

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: