Logo by mauxuam - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 09:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: I did it. I just bought Mathematica  (Read 2362 times)
Description: thought I should share
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« on: December 16, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »

While being a long time Matlab user (both back at University and at work) just today I ordered a license for Mathematica Home. It seems much better suited for doing symbolic maths than anything else I've seen so far.

Quite unusual for me to shell out so much money for a software package for private use. So now in order to make it worthwhile I'll have to spend some quality time with it.

Is there any software available that would convert the output of mathematica workbooks (formulas etc) into Latex notation used in these forums?

EDIT:
Oh I'd like to add a little bit of a complaint about the licensing terms though. Should the PC on which I install Mathematica ever fail, or the hard drive die I would have a hard time keeping the Mathematica license, it seems. It will be locked to the PC. So besides creating a backup of the system via hard drive imaging tools I can only hope that the mainboard or CPU won't ever fail.

Also does anyone know how Mathematica detects the system it is installed on? Does it tie to the CPU serial number? Does it tie to the Windows license? I have no idea.

Christian
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 09:42:45 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
BradC
Safarist

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:41:09 PM »

Cool! Personally, I think it's one of the best investments I've ever made, I've learned so much using it.

For latex, I use the built-in command TeXForm. Sometimes the resulting latex requires a little tweaking, but it's usually easy and I don't know Latex at all.

I don't know how their licensing stuff works but it does seem annoyingly strict. If you lost your hard drive I bet you could call support and explain though.
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 12:04:23 AM »

Cool! Personally, I think it's one of the best investments I've ever made, I've learned so much using it.

Googling for Fractals Mathematica immediately returns bugman's website.

http://www.bugman123.com/Fractals/Fractals.html

And lots of food for Mathematica there is... This is ideal for learning the programming language, too.

Christian
BradC
Safarist

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 01:18:55 AM »

One thing to pay attention to if you're looking at formulas somewhere is the order of arguments to the 2-argument arctangent function. C uses atan2(y, x), but Mathematica uses ArcTan[x, y]. The order of x & y is swapped.
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: