Logo by Pauldelbrot - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 04:01:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: "Modular" complex arithmetic  (Read 2250 times)
Description: An experiment without too many high hopes?
David Makin
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

Makin' Magic Fractals
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 11:26:57 PM »

^fixed. But in any case, do you see my point as to why it's wrong?

Not really as I haven't studied what's being done in this thread in detail.

In case it's relevant I think UF's mod function maybe slightly different from the norm - in UF:

-1.6%1.0  ->   -0.6
  1.6%1.0   ->   0.6

The meaning and purpose of life is to give life purpose and meaning.

http://www.fractalgallery.co.uk/
"Makin' Magic Music" on Jango
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »

just a quick question: are you referring to mod or modulo or some combination of the two?

* grailmandysinbulb.png (38.64 KB, 320x240 - viewed 115 times.)

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
jehovajah
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

May a trochoid in the void bring you peace

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »

The hangups we "mathematicians" have are due to us being taught to be hypercritical,usually by some sadist who delighted in pointing out our mistakes! Any way having got that off my chest i think playfulness means lots of wrong turns down the road to interesting stuff and your colour algorithm is veeeery interesting! grin
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:08:49 AM by jehovajah » Logged

May a trochoid of ¥h¶h iteratively entrain your Logos Response transforming into iridescent fractals of orgasmic delight and joy, with kindness, peace and gratitude at all scales within your experience. I beg of you to enrich others as you have been enriched, in vorticose pulsations of extravagance!
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2010, 12:31:17 PM »

yup, the simplification seemingly doesn't even hold for the -1.6 example...

the sum-free formula returns 0.4, so it seems correct, the simplified formula some complex number and the log and exp free one actually even totally simplifys to -z, which makes it totally useless, of course...

a (i log(1-e^{-(2 \pi i z)/a})-i log(1-e^{(2 \pi i z)/a})+\pi)\over 2 \pi

if that formula indeed is the correct one, the cool thing about it would be, that a complex a also is defined that way. smiley
Timeroot
Fractal Fertilizer

The pwnge.

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2010, 01:56:29 AM »

Hmm, yeah, I tried the exp/log formula, it doesn't seem to work for me...   sad

I actually got that fourier series from a math book my dad gave me, but now I see if you type "-1.6 mod 1" into W|A you get the same thing under series representations.

When you say "the simplified formula", what do you mean? You'll see that both of the closed form formulas I gave give a final result of 0.4...

Someday, man will understand primary theory; how every aspect of our universe has come about. Then we will describe all of physics, build a complete understanding of genetic engineering, catalog all planets, and find intelligent life. And then we'll just puzzle over fractals for eternity.
kram1032
Fractal Senior

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 02:45:18 PM »

EDIT!
Since LaTex apparently is (or at some point was) broken, all the results are lost...
Here is the final Complex Mod Function with z and a being complex numbers:

z mod a = CMod(z,a)=π+ i (e2 i π z/a Log(1-e-2 i π z/a)-e-2 i π z/a Log(1-e2 i π z/a))
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

the simplified formula was meant to be the one where I converted log()-log() to log(/).
That one somehow does not return correct results.

but if we stick to log()-log(), everything seems to work nicely.
Now I'd like to see an Mset with that formula rather than the symmetric approach.
Reading about mod, I found out that both variants are kind of valid. One, however, is called "mathematical" and the other one "symmetrical"

The symmetrical one is mod(|z|,a)*sign(z) and doesn't really allow for a complex a.
The mathematical one is the more complicated one...
, which has the big advantage to even work in case of a complex a. No idea if that would make any sense, though smiley
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:13:38 PM by kram1032, Reason: lost LaTex form » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: