Logo by stereoman - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 18, 2024, 10:38:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: PCI Express CPU CoProcessors  (Read 615 times)
Description: MB3D - Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor 3120P Processor Board SC3120P speed things up?
garygerber
Forums Freshman

« on: July 30, 2015, 11:32:21 PM »

Hi,

I am looking at purchasing an Intel Xeon Phi Coprocessor 3120P Processor Board SC3120P (PCI Express) to speed things up for Mandelbulb 3D renders.

Does anyone know if Mandelbulb 3D will be faster with this coprocessor?

Thanks!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 03:42:16 AM »

i have actrually no idea, but what the description reads, mandelbulkb rendering will skyrocket with this set up, if all 57 cores can be used this should certainly be an improvement, but as said, i am not into that topic, but sounds like a nice addition to any pc using heavy processor power (video encoding etc ... )

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
hobold
Fractal Bachius

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 04:00:54 PM »

It depends on how the coprocessor is made available to software.

Later/future generations of Xeon Phi will allow self hosting, i.e. one Xeon Phi chip will be able to drive a PC mainboard, and the system will look like a traditional multicore machine, but with many more cores.

Older and current models of Xeon Phi are not integrated so closely. It might be that those appear to software as another computer in a local network. In that case, an independent OS would run on the Phi, and it might be awkward/difficult to run existing software on the coprocessor. Using coprocessor and main processor together would require software that can distribute computation across a network.

Finally, there could also be a special programming model where Phi and main CPU can communicate by swapping memory buffers (not unlike GPU programs need to copy between video memory and main memory). This would require completely new software.

The devil is in the details. Due to limited availability/affordability, the makers of fractal software probably haven't had the chance to test Xeon Phi.
garygerber
Forums Freshman

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 05:38:45 PM »

Well, I have another software package, Vue Infinite, that will have hugely improved render times according to the vendor. 

I purchased it and will have the machine built next week.

So, I will know soon enough if MB3D is capable of more than 100 threads (something from the intel product page - http://ark.intel.com/products/75798/Intel-Xeon-Phi-Coprocessor-3120P-6GB-1_100-GHz-57-core).  Looking forward
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: