Logo by bib - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Visit the official fractalforums.com Youtube Channel

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. March 29, 2024, 12:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: 2D texture within 3D  (Read 867 times)
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« on: July 19, 2015, 11:16:45 AM »

If I wanted to pull in a 2D texture to use as a background, how and where would be the best place to incorporate it within 3D+Kn2 raytracer?

Let's say I have a 1920x1080 background and I want it displayed 1-to-1 pixel-to-pixel underneath the content from the raytracer (say buffer/viewport size matches)? Is there any way to use a bitmap 'as is', pixel per pixel in the buffer?

I guess I'd need to integrate it somewhere in the #vertex section?

Thanks!

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 07:59:05 PM »

you could look through the tutorials that come with Fragmentarium and find just about everything your are asking in the examples...
this is a shot of the IBL-Raytracer example,
TIP: before trying this one edit the tutorial frag and add the FULL PATH for the .hdr files wink

EDIT: is what you are looking for "green screen" or "chroma-key" effect?

* ibl-test.jpg (113.85 KB, 769x538 - viewed 214 times.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 08:05:36 PM by 3dickulus, Reason: clarity » Logged

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:10:48 AM »

I check the examples and tutorials, but just wasn't sure how to get a 2d texture behind the content. Already solved that at least roughly.
Now I got another problem that I believe is not possible to solve within what's currently available in frag.

I have implemented a workflow that allows me to track the live camera externally and put it into fragmentarium.
For some reason I am still having some camera mismatches so I wanted to pull in the background plates into frag for reference (if not rendering) to troubleshoot (if not use it for rendering finals).

So I need to dynamically load a texture based on the current frame number.
I have a sequence of bitmaps named "img000.jpg - img999.jpg" and I want to use a picture corresponding to current frame of the animation.
I understand I can only load texture via UI file widget, which won't allow me to modify anything on the fly nor will it accept any parametrization? If so, that does not look doable Sceptical

Am I right?

Visual Artist, Director & Cinematographer specialized in emerging imaging techniques.
3dickulus
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:50:48 AM »

I'm not sure as I haven't played with the texture stuff but I will look at this, I had a raytracing program on my Amiga that allowed animated textures, a sequence of frames, that could be applied to the surface of a 3D object.

Resistance is fertile...
You will be illuminated!

#B^] https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Fractals/fragmentarium
Patryk Kizny
Global Moderator
Fractal Fertilizer

kizny
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 01:10:10 AM »

Would be a great thing to have! Many thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: