Logo by CorneliaYoder - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 19, 2024, 03:33:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Magazine wants to publish my images - how much to charge?  (Read 3709 times)
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« on: July 08, 2015, 11:20:38 AM »

Hi everyone!
I've been asked if myfractal/neural-combinations can be published in "muy interessante" magazine.. Of course I'd be delighted!  grin
Seems like it is a bigger magazine, they have 2,2mio likes at facebook.. wow.
I suppose it would be normal to charge some money if they want to print my pics - problem is, I have no clue what would be a reasonable sum to ask for and don't want to be ripped of, only because I don't know whats standard..
Does anyone here have any experience or knows where I could ask?
Cheers!

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 11:37:14 AM »

first, consider how much work and time you put into it, charging a lot for something that comes easily and is very easy to reproduce might be distracting, having a publication is worth alone a lot, i cant tell about images, the only thing i know is once i contributed to a book, like 2 articles, and the whole revenue of it was like 100 euros that i received for that contribution, quite disappointing, but having a list of released book entries looks very well on the curriculum vitae wink

hard to tell, but in my point of view i think anything more than 100 euros would be hard to settle on, just MY PERSONAL opinion, as a magazine publisher i would rather dont give anything for it because its publicity

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 11:39:10 AM »

but we have a bunch of experienced users here, like jeremi brunet(bib) or mark j brady perhaps you can contact them directly via pm here, because they are not much around lately

---

Sockratease
Global Moderator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 11:51:25 AM »

Something else to consider is asking them if they want the image for a one time use, or if they want to buy Royalty Free Rights to use the image as often as they want in any context they want.  Also ask if they want Exclusive Rights, so that nobody else can use the image besides them  (more money for you!).

That way you can look like you know what you are doing and buy research time while still replying promptly   alien

The go look up "Royalty Free Images" on sites like shutterstock.com, etc, and get an idea what these things sell for.

Obviously a one time use fee would be much less than selling the rights.  Good luck, and congratulations!

Life is complex - It has real and imaginary components.

The All New Fractal Forums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!
lkmitch
Fractal Lover

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 04:29:02 PM »

Congratulations on the potential publication!  I would advise you to not be shy about asking for what you want.  You can always come down if they can't match it.  As were mentioned, consider your time and effort and how many times the images would be seen.  If you're thinking about selling them later, this publishing opportunity might either drive up interest or dilute your market.  It's been a while since I licensed any images for publication, but I think on the order of $200 each for a magazine is not out of bounds.  Please be very hesitant to let them use the images for free, or to buy into the, "it's free publicity, which is worth lots of money" idea.  You deserve to be compensated for your work and the more artists who expect to be paid, the more publishers will expect to have to pay.
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 10:06:22 PM »

thx everyone for your input!
I've googled a little longer and found this. though in german, the numbers might help others here too:
http://www.mediafon.net/meldung_volltext.php3?id=43146fe782e92&akt=empfehlungen_empfehlungen
under point 2 it's about magazines. 1/16 seite =1/16th page =size of the image. "Auflage bis" means circulation.

now I hope they take my offer.. smiley I'll keep you posted..

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 10:39:37 PM »

alright, so the figures say that  +100€ seems to be reasonable, would not believe a science magazine covering more than 1mio prints sold a month wink

---

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 10:57:13 PM »

ok, so the figures are obviously only applicable for the german market. I came to a total of 2100€ for a 10 page article. they declined. I asked what they can spend. and will take the 600 offered.. wink
now I just somehow have to scale my pics up to 5000 pixels width to achieve the requested 300dpi..

subblue
Conqueror

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »

I had a four page article in Muy Interessante last year on my Faberge Fractal images that were doing the rounds at the time.
I didn't actually charge them for usage as they weren't made for a commercial purpose and had already spread widely on social networks, but good for you for getting the 600 from them smiley

As a reference, a few years ago I had a single full page image printed in Scientific American and they paid $500 USD for it, which I think was their standard rate.
It was already an image I had previously created so wasn't commissioned. If someone does ask you to commission a new piece for them then you should be able to charge a fair bit more.

www.subblue.com - a blog exploring mathematical and generative graphics
Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 10:43:57 PM »

nice, thx for sharing your experiences! smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: