Logo by AGUS - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 04:47:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Voxel Plancton  (Read 4803 times)
Description: CUDA app published
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« on: December 15, 2009, 02:33:14 AM »

Hi everybody.

I published a little CUDA app that allows one to render amazing "plancton" like fractals in a voxel representation. It needs a *fast* nVidia chip though - even on my GTX 260 the updates after changing the parameters take half a second or more. The CUDA source code and a Win32 executable are attached inside the ZIP file in this thread.

This program uses a slight generalization of the Mandelbulb idea where instead of using a spherical coordinate system I use two separate rotations based on axes that one can freely choose relative to each other.

With an adjustable exponent, and two extra degrees of freedom for pointing the axes relative to each other endless fun is guaranteed wink You can also rotate the plancton, pan around and zoom - but deep zooms are impossible due to the limited resolution of the voxel space.

Also find screenshots and the Win32 binary and CUDA source code here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=1bf094526ea25174ffb8815dbbad1df7&showtopic=153257 and here http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-renderings/a-new-class-of-bulb/

On slower cards you can start VoxelPlancton.exe with the --size=128 or --size=64 parameter (this works even on my laptop with a 9600M GT card) - but the rendering is less detailed then .Arguments can be passed from a command prompt or by creating a short cut to the exe and appending this argument in the target field of the shortcut, but leave a space character inbetween.

It was a fun two-day project and I might explore further to find for a raymarching solution (I need the derivative, but my equations rotate with quaternions based on arbitrary axes - so it is a hard problem for me to crack). The linked "A new class of bulb?" thread in the Mandelbulb Renderings subforum has all the maths details and some C++ source code for the CPU.

Christian

* voxelPlancton.zip (490.11 KB - downloaded 435 times.)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 09:06:33 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 02:42:57 AM »

can u upload the file here ?! because download is not permitted on the site, and user accounts are hard to get Sceptical

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 12:14:57 PM »

can u upload the file here ?! because download is not permitted on the site, and user accounts are hard to get Sceptical

You currently don't allow zip file attachments, that's the problem - and the 256kb attachment limit only allows for small apps to be posted (Voxel plancton might just fit in)

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 01:39:11 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »

i will check the settings for attachments right now

---

cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 03:19:58 PM »

i am now allowing attachments up to 2mb, and a total of 5 mb per posting, and zip and rar files cheesy  police police

executables are not allowed! police

---

cbuchner1
Fractal Phenom

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 05:35:47 PM »

i am now allowing attachments up to 2mb, and a total of 5 mb per posting, and zip and rar files cheesy  police police

executables are not allowed! police

Ok, but there is an .EXE inside the ZIP file for those who don't have the CUDA SDK and Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 or 2008 installed. There might be a dependency on the Visual C++ 2005 and/or 2008 runtimes (which are 5 MB downloads that you can get from the Microsoft site). A free tool called "dependency walker" helps to identify the missing DLLs (if any).

Relatively recent nVidia drivers are also required (any 190.xxx, 191.xxx or 195.xxx drivers should be OK). Mind that CUDA is a vendor specific technology, so those with Intel or ATI cards have to look for fun elsewhere wink

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 05:38:52 PM by cbuchner1 » Logged
Nahee_Enterprises
World Renowned
Fractal Senior

use email to contact

nahee_enterprises Nahee.Enterprises NaheeEnterprise
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 08:59:40 PM »

Hi everybody.    I published a little CUDA app that allows one to render amazing "plancton" like fractals in a
    voxel representation.   It needs a *fast* nVidia chip though - even on my GTX 260 the updates after changing
    the parameters take half a second or more.   The CUDA source code and a Win32 executable are attached
    inside the ZIP file in this thread.
    This program uses a slight generalization of the Mandelbulb idea where instead of using a spherical coordinate
    system I use two separate rotations based on axes that one can freely choose relative to each other.
    With an adjustable exponent, and two extra degrees of freedom for pointing the axes relative to each other
    endless fun is guaranteed wink You can also rotate the plancton, pan around and zoom - but deep zooms are
    impossible due to the limited resolution of the voxel space.
    Also find screenshots and the Win32 binary and CUDA source code here:
            http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?s=1bf094526ea25174ffb8815dbbad1df7&showtopic=153257
    and here
            http://www.fractalforums.com/mandelbulb-renderings/a-new-class-of-bulb/

Thanks for the notice and the download.  I will give it a try as soon as I get a spare moment.     cheesy

« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 04:54:27 PM by Nahee_Enterprises » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: