Logo by Cyclops - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Support us via Flattr FLATTR Link

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 25, 2024, 10:13:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Introduction of an n-dimensional multiplication  (Read 1680 times)
Description: Multiplication as a mapping from n-dimensions into n-dimensions
Leonhard E.
Forums Newbie

« on: June 19, 2015, 07:17:31 PM »

Sorry my english is bad (1. I'm german and 2.  A Beer Cup) but I'll try it.

If X,Y are elements of Rn with X=(x0,x1,...,xn-1) and Y=(y0,y1,...,yn-1)
the mapping X**Y is defined by:

X**Y:=(z0,z1,...,zn-1) with zk:=SUM sign(i,j)*xi*yj where k=(i+j) modulo n and sign(i,j):= -1 if i+j >= n otherwise 1

the sign(i,j) is only for giving the multiplication a complex character

It's obvious that

X**Y=Y**X and
X**(Y+Z)=X**Y+X**Z and
E**X=X ,E:=(1,0,...,0)

With this basic definition we can calculate Zn+1=Zn**Zn+C (or even more)

As an example (I posted on the german board before) a 3-dimensional cut into a Mandelbrot set in R6
This movie includes rotations (staying in the same 3D subspace and some rotating into a additional dimension)
and a translation along a 4th axis. At the end the set is cut down to the known 2D Mandelbrot.
We don't have a surface(no normals) like we have no boundery in 2-dimensions, so the quality may be not satisfying.
Even dimensions (n=2m) are more symmetric, here you will allways find the "Apfelmännchen" as a 2D cut on
the axis (c0,0,..,cm,0,...,0) cause thats nothing else than the complex numbers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tVSqBk9QxvI&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1" target="_blank">https://www.youtube.com/v/tVSqBk9QxvI&rel=1&fs=1&hd=1</a>

Please stop me if I'm telling things known since thousands of years or if its simply shit. A Beer Cup

Sorry next time less  A Beer Cup
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 07:37:37 PM by Leonhard E. » Logged
M Benesi
Fractal Schemer

« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 08:06:00 PM »

Please stop me if I'm telling things known since thousands of years ...
  I think others have spoken of something similar in the past, however the way you said it provided a new perspective on similar, slightly different thoughts.

It got me thinking about branch cuts of complex roots, using the following for a Mandelbrot iteration:

\left ( x + i y+ \sqrt{x + i y} \right ) \times \left ( x + i y - \sqrt{x + i y} \right )

from which there are various viewpoints on extension to 3 dimensions...

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: