Logo by Fiery - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Did you know ? you can use LaTex inside Postings on fractalforums.com!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 26, 2024, 07:07:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Bifurcation Diagram Bouncing Ball  (Read 2283 times)
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« on: June 14, 2015, 10:11:44 PM »

Bifurcation map of a bouncing ball on opposing slopes.

Schematic of the system (not my work):

This fractal is similar to bifurcation maps of double pendulum, but calculation is much faster, because this bouncing ball system is not feedbacked (no air resistance etc.), so we do not have to use successive approximation to calculate bouncings: every iteration gives us a point in the picture. This reduces calculation time from weeks to minites. cheesy

x-axis: initial velocity perpendicular with the slope
y-axis: velocities parallel to the slopes when bounce
Slopes angle: 60°, initial parallel velocity: 0.2
Equations are from a Hungarian book: Tél Tamás, Gruiz Márton: Kaotikus dinamika, Nemzeti Tankönyvkiadó, 2002.
(http://ttk.nyme.hu/mfi/Documents/Fizika-Kaotikus%20jelens%C3%A9gek/Kaotikus_jelens%C3%A9gek_I.pdf)

Img #1
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:56:42 PM by bkercso » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 10:50:04 PM »

this is cool, so, for clarification, what does this image tells us ?

and some questions:

- the bifurcation seems not to be visible, since bifurcation theory means splitting in 2, at which zoom levels can you spot the start and ends of the bifurcation
- can you provide zooms to the start of the bifurcation ?
- what do we see here? chaos or order ? i mean, is it chaotical behaviour of the bounces or does it follow certain lines ?

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 11:07:12 PM »

Thank you for this questions, it is important indeed.
This is the whole phase space of this system (cannot zoom out), so we can say this do not produces classical bifurcations. I call this picture bifurcation map because it is generated the same way as classical bifurcation maps. This system as is: not have periodic sections. In the other topic (http://www.fractalforums.com/new-theories-and-research/bifurcations-fractals-discovery/) I posted an explainig picture about that:

So this system has only quasy periodic- and chaotic regions.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:19:09 PM by bkercso » Logged
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:10:11 PM »

i see, it makes perfect sense to analyse existing dynamic systems like that

the interesting parts for these diagrams are the changing regions, can you render a zoom into a spike of the periodic line ?
or to the chaotic areas?

---

bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 11:24:12 PM »

In fact I did that, I will found a good picture upload site for uotflank daily limit of this site. cheesy
It is a fractal, so you can see the same things in zooms too: only bubbles, namely quasy periodicity. In an other render shows not perpendicular but parallel velocity when bounce you can see interesting spikes...
I think the stucture of this fractal is similar with double pendumum's, but because of faster computation I can make deeper zooms. We will see if structure complexity is higher in zooms or not.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:40:06 AM by bkercso » Logged
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 10:07:53 PM »

I played a little with this system and find that if initial velocity is perpendicular to slope that system has periodic behavior (with chaotic regions of course), else it is quasy peiodic (+ chaotic).

I think light patterns come from first slope and dark patterns from the other, but I will check it..

Img #2

upload a picture

Video #1
https://youtu.be/-LrV-KsPTu8
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:39:09 PM by bkercso » Logged
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 10:17:59 PM »

First I zoom the periodic fractal.

This is from clean periodic region, 370x zoom, 5 hours of calculation time.

Img #3
Set:

Zoom:

bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 10:32:31 PM »

And one from the edge of periodic and chaotic regions. 500x zoom, 1.5 hours calculation.

Img #4
Set:

Zoom:

Light green lines in the chaotic region are periodic/soft chaotic regions (?).
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:49:32 PM by bkercso » Logged
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 10:39:20 PM »

As I see this system's fractals are much more simpler than double pendulum's ones, but this is a good model system this type of bifurcation maps because it requires 1E4 times less computation.
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 10:44:51 PM »

yay, the underlying method is far simpler, and the "chaotic" or "dense" regions dont exhibit the beautiful sub branching
but the quasiperiodic regions are what we encounter when watching a ball bounce this kind of thing wink and assume it stays at a certain position longer, or we seem to be able to exactly predict the movements of the ball ( more or less wink )

---

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 11:00:03 PM »

thank you bkercso.
I love what you do!
It's very inspiring!
 Repeating Zooming Self-Silimilar Thumb Up, by Craig

I know this is a bit off-topic, but I've found a huge interest in bifurcation diagrams lately.
I believe that bifurcation and especially the "periodic order windows" that occur out of chaos are hugely important on a larger scale in reality.

I totally agree with the ideas of Robert Paterson:
http://smartpei.typepad.com/robert_patersons_weblog/2009/04/the-fractal-history-of-mankind-part-2-our-time.html

ray, kurzweil, singularity is near - nice read!

and actually I believe that: (see attached image)

* we are here.jpg (73.15 KB, 600x444 - viewed 58 times.)

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 11:04:12 PM »

cKleinhuis:
Well, now I think there is no contoured sub branching in chaotic regions. I made deep zooms on it and it's dimness I cannot attributed to rough time resolution because there is no time resolution here.
I see shaped patterns in it only when I take less iterations.
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 12:02:15 AM »

Chillheimer:
Thank you. smiley

There is no doubt that our global word is unsustainable. Not only because of oil and wasting, but the picture is quite complex and on many areas there are majore problems, which has own fractal-like fine structure. Well, only the history we can see clear (if we)... smiley
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 02:22:03 PM »

Img #5

Set:

Zoom 78,000x (made by 15,000,000,000 bounces, during 35 minutes):

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 02:49:37 PM by bkercso » Logged
bkercso
Fractal Lover

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 11:46:36 AM »

I recalculated Img #4 with higher point/pixel density and upload to forum's gallery.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: