Logo by miles - Contribute your own Logo!

END OF AN ERA, FRACTALFORUMS.COM IS CONTINUED ON FRACTALFORUMS.ORG

it was a great time but no longer maintainable by c.Kleinhuis contact him for any data retrieval,
thanks and see you perhaps in 10 years again

this forum will stay online for reference
News: Follow us on Twitter

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register. April 20, 2024, 12:59:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The All New FractalForums is now in Public Beta Testing! Visit FractalForums.org and check it out!

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Share this topic on DiggShare this topic on FacebookShare this topic on GoogleShare this topic on RedditShare this topic on StumbleUponShare this topic on Twitter
Author Topic: Looking for a mathematician to help answer (stupid) questions  (Read 440 times)
CantDoMaths
Forums Freshman

« on: June 05, 2015, 02:23:45 PM »

Hello all,

I have some questions regarding the theoretic side of fractals.
Namely how formulas are made. And if it is possible at all to use
existing equations, converting them somehow so that they can be applied as fractal formulae.

Im a total noob so I might say something stupid now but.

Would it for instance be possible to use an equation that (partly?) describes DNA
and then convert it to a fractal applicable formula?

I have only a vague notion of how to say what I mean but I hope I got my point across.

Thanks in advance smiley
cKleinhuis
Administrator
Fractal Senior

formerly known as 'Trifox'

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »

lol

so, you are lacking a bit of the theoretical backgrounds, fractals are everywhere, the practical use it not clear yet, althoug chaos theory implications are already widely used ( for example mobile phone antennas ) the theoretical mathematical applications are far from really useable, beside analysising surfaces by fractal dimensions few applications still exists ( i suggest you take a look into the book "Chaos" by James Gleich which is stil a very good introduction to chaos theory )

for the task of creation formulas, a formula needs to have a contractive and an expanding part, in a way that some starting values converge, others diverge

so, for example "x*2" would not be a good candidate for a fractal formula, because it just has a expanding part...

---

divide and conquer - iterate and rule - chaos is No random!
CantDoMaths
Forums Freshman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »

Thank you for the book suggestion. I'll see if I can find it.

Chillheimer
Global Moderator
Fractal Schemer

Just another fractal being floating by..

chilli.chillheimer chillheimer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »

Hi!
I read about a guy who developed a programm that you feed with lots of data, e.g. from measurements, and it then tries to find formulas that would generate exactly those results. I don`t find the linnk right now, but will search for it when I`m back home.
Edit: found it smiley
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureqa

The problem very often is, that our realworld is connected and intertwined, so the fractal nature is not obvious and it`s very hard to find a simple formula, when it`s all about multi-fractals..

Regarding your DNA example, check this out:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2164/12/506

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 10:17:41 AM by Chillheimer » Logged

--- Fractals - add some Chaos to your life and put the world in order. ---
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  

Jump to: